Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An Evening With Roger Waters

Well, after finally catching up on sleep from the late night last night, I would like to share one of my most memorable nights with you all. I have been waiting, with ticket in hand, since the day they went on sale for this show, even longer before I knew about it. Floyd has been one of the biggest influences and inspirations in my life when it comes to my creativness, and other things. I cant explain what it is, but any of their songs gives me a different feeling inside. This was so much fun, I was able to belt out the words to all but one new song I hadn't heard, as did the crowd.

I was a bit skeptikal of this show. After reading many books I always held a bit of negativity towards Roger; quiting the band, suing the remaining members for the name after they started to retour, I always felt that by doing these things he was very selfish in that it was his decision to leave. I realized I was always hearing someone elses side of the story and not his. Last night changed my feelings 100%.

The show was at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul MN. It could have sold out a few days before. Im not sure but there were a few, if any, empty seats. The general population there was of a different mix, which I expected, however, there were some much older folks there, which I didnt expect. An older couple on each side of us were fans since the days of Syd.

I did cheat and get a peek at the set list, but I loved what I saw:

* In The Flesh
    * Mother
    * Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
    * Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    * Have A Cigar
    * Wish You Were Here
    * Southampton Dock,
    * Fletcher Memorial Home
    * Perfect Sense Parts 1 & 2
    * Leaving Beirut
    * Sheep

(15 minute break)

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON:
    * Speak To Me
    * Breathe
    * On The Run
    * Time
    * The Great Gig In The Sky
    * Money
    * Us And Them
    * Any Colour You Like
    * Brain Damage
    * Eclipse

Encores

* The Happiest Days of Our Lives
    * Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2
    * Vera
    * Bring The Boys Back Home
    * Comfortably Numb

I was really surprised to see Set the Controls, while Shine On was a tribute to Barrett who passed in 2006. This was very touching as the screen behind showed old pics and video of Syd. To not just hear Comfortably Numb, but also the four tracks ahead of it was quite emotional, as it is probably my favorite song and holds the most meaning.

I feel it is sometimes far fetched to say something like this was life-changing, but at one time Floyd was just that for me. The music and lyrics made me really think about life and have opened many doors for me. As I said, it was an incedible show to attend, and Roger and his group didnt have to do as much as show up on stage to create a stadium full of excitement.

Ill leave you with a few pics I was able to take. We were section 103, row 9, seats 3 and 4, which was pretty dang close and a great view.

Nate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stage.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	15659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setthecontrols.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	15660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alfie3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	15663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alfie2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	15664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breathe.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	15665  

You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo
    Top Shelf Traders - tjovonovich, Val Da Car

A few more:

Name:	breathe2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	15666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greatgiginthesky.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	15667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	money.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	15668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anycolour1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	15669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anycolour2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	15670  

You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

And the rest:

Name:	braindamage.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	15671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bow.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	15672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comfortablynumb.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	15673  
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Awesome stuff. If any band I would love to see it would be Floyd in concert. Thanks for sharing.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Cool! I saw the Omaha show on June 29th and it was freakin' spectacularly awesome. I put more in-depth thoughts in my blog at myspace.com/generalgrievousl, which has some harsh language. But I really, really loved it. The prism during the end of DSOTM was amazing, and I loved how he "updated" some of the songs by connecting them to current events (like the war in Iraq and prescription drugs). Plus, the backup band was totally fantastic, and everything sounded pretty much exactly like it did on the album. He's only doing a few more dates in North America for now, so if anyone can still see it, definitely do.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I noticed Gilmour and Co. did the modern images with some of their last performances as well. It was very fitting. I LOVED the new one Leaving Beruit. I havent paid solo albums much attention, but now I see I have to snap those up as well. I was also surprised / excited to see Snowy White on guitar.

I hope this was not a first and last time to see a show like this, it left me speechless most of the 3 hour drive home.......
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Rebo's_Guitarist View Post
    I havent paid solo albums much attention, but now I see I have to snap those up as well.
    I can't say I have either. From what I know the Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is very good. Amused to Death is also a good solid album. Radio KAOS isn't as good and I guess hasn't aged well. I'd go with the Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking first and from your own opinions.

I'm glad to hear it was such a good show. I've often wondered how good Roger Waters could be on his "own" in concert. Too bad the closest his likely to come to me is a six hour drive. By the way did anything go wrong with the pig? I've heard a lot of funny stories about Roger and the pig.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Well it didnt get away and need to be shot down I think it went according to plan. It was decorated in a VERY political fashoin though with a certain letter near the end of the alphabet on the rear.....
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Rebo's_Guitarist View Post
    Well it didnt get away and need to be shot down
    Too bad. That's when you know your at a good show. Some of Roger's comments and reactions to and about the pig are priceless.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

As for the various members' solo albums, I have all three of Roger's (got them within the last week), two of David's (no About Face yet), and one of Syd's (The Madcap Laughs).

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is pretty good, but sometimes a little long. I'm not a big fan of Radio KAOS, since I think it sounds a little too much "80's." It's kind of like A Momentary Lapse of Reason (made the same year) but not as catchy. Amused To Death is probably the best of all three, but it too is a little bit long. Leaving Beirut is available on iTunes along with To Kill A Child; the studio version has Roger talking and telling the story rather than the comic-book way it was presented in the concert.

As for David, the lyrics are usually not as good but the music is often better (as was the case for their group stuff). I like On An Island; it has a slow feel to it, kind of like much of Meddle or Wish You Were Here. I haven't heard the self-titled one in a while but it's pretty good too.

Syd's stuff . . . well, he was already off the deep end by that point. It's not as fun as his Pink Floyd stuff but there are a few good moments.

I think they're all worth a listen, though, but none of them are really as good as Pink Floyd's collective stuff.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram