Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vanity Fair - the AOTC issue

Anybody else check out the March issue of Vanity Fair? Y'know the one with Anakin and Padme on the cover? Helloooo?

Anyways, some cool pictures (Mace with a beard, Obi-Wan with a red-bladed saber, a nice maquette of the Kaminoan and Senator Tessek ) some blah pictures (a really boring profile shot of Jango's helmet, Artoo in a crate).

An interesting quote from George Lucas, in response to the focus on the love story: "I'd call it a love haiku more than a love sonnet. It's shorter than a traditional love story, and thinner than a traditional love story, but still, hopefully, has the same impact as a traditional love story."

A frightening qoute from Natalie Portman: "This is George's Titanic."

Hayden being clueless as to how his voice will evolve into Vader's: "I think he becomes half-mechanical, and, um, the dark helmet......Maybe that has something to do with his voice getting lower?"

Aside from some insulting comments from Lucas about internet message boards and an inane comparison of Darth Sidious and Darth Maul to the Taliban and al-Qaeda, it has little revelations for those of us who follow the spoilers.

One thing that bugs me, the entire issue refers to Padme as Amidala. Sooo, which one is it?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, to get it cleared up, Padme's full name is: Padme Amidala Naberrie.

And E2 may be George's Titanic, but Natalie's the iceberg to sink it.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Well at least the love story is a smaller part of the total story than most people had been thinking...
    The Force is strong with this one.

Of course, that's my opinion I could be wrong.

I did not realize that this issue was already available. I will have to go out and get one. Do these come in the plastic cover? I still have the one from 99 that they did and it is in the cover.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

The issue I got didn't come polybagged. What I wonder though is how this magazine, which is at least three times thicker than an issue of the SW Insider can only cost $3.95 while the Insider costs $5.99? Gee, thanks for the great deals WOTC!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Anyways, some cool pictures (Mace with a beard)
    Mace? Strange, the Deluxe Mace figure doesn't have a beard, he must shave it.

What I wonder though is how this magazine, which is at least three times thicker than an issue of the SW Insider can only cost $3.95 while the Insider costs $5.99?
    The Insider has few paid advertizements in it, thus the higher price.

TFN has a listing of the photos:

The article is entitled "Love in a Distant Galaxy," and the photos are:

Contents page pics:
    Lama Su (maquette)
    Senator Tessek
    Senator Orn Free Taa

Lucas Filming Anakin and Padme (on editorial page)
    Hayden and Natalie ("in civilian gear") (2pg. spread)
    R2 in crate
    Mace Windu
    Obi-Wan (hood-up)
    Jango (profile) -- very cool looking
    Broken, tarnished (?) Battle Droid
    George filming Obi-Wan jumping with Sam Jackson looking on (2pg. spread)
    Anakin and Padme about to kiss (2pg. spread).

Following the tradition of the EI VF, the article confirms part of the opening crawl. The last paragraph of the opening crawl is different from a version we initially posted here.

Senator Amidala, the former queen of Naboo, is returning to the Galactic Senate to vote on the critical issue of creating an army of the Republic to assist the overwhelmed Jedi...

(vs. Senator Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo, is returning to Coruscant to vote on the critical issue of creating an army to assist the overwhelmed Jedi)
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

The Insider has few paid advertizements in it, thus the higher price.

Not to dwell on the issue, but Vanity Fair has tons of adds including several cologne/perfume samples and a 12-page iMac pull-out mini-mag. It beats out the ad count I've seen for any issue of the Insider.

Now that I think about it, though, Vanity Fair probably has a much higher circulation than the Insider, hence the cheaper price.

Yeah, and with WOTC being Hasbro... what'd ya expect?

'Bout the Senator Tessek issue, wouldn't that just be a Quarren Senator? I mean Tessek was the name of the Quarren (Squidhead) from Jabba's Palace. 'Course it might be a common name on Mon Calamari, oh well.

So R2's MIB, huh? Just better hope he doesn't get sent through FedEx, he'd never make it through.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Originally posted by LTBasker
    'Bout the Senator Tessek issue, wouldn't that just be a Quarren Senator? I mean Tessek was the name of the Quarren (Squidhead) from Jabba's Palace. 'Course it might be a common name on Mon Calamari, oh well.
    If the blurb had referred to him as a Quarren Senator then I wouldn't have paid it no mind. However, they clearly refer to him as Tessek.

You might be right maybe Tessek is the Quarren equivalent of Antilles in SW, or Smith here on Earth.