Thumbs down Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy Sucking Again (K.W. Jeter)

I am re-reading all the Star Wars EU and am now in the early post-ANH era.

K.W. Jeter's books are of interest to me because I am writing my own novel in sort of that style: a present story and a past one - each unfolding as you read along. What happened in the past influences what happens in the future - that sort of thing.

However, I am only reading the "Then" chapters at the moment, to get a handle on EU history.

A giant spider floating through space on a web it built to collect junk (Ku'Ar Mu'Bat) acts as an intermediary between bounty hunters and their employers for a fee, thus facilitating transactions that might be otherwise dangerous for both parties to personally meet.

Behind the scenes, Prince Xizor has contracted for Boba Fett to join the Bounty Hunters' Guild - an organization he's shunned in the past 22 years that he's been hunting. (Fett's 32 years old now - he would have been the first cloned at the end of TPM, since no growth acceleration was used on him).

Xizor hopes that the break-up of the Guild will provide the Empire (and Black Sun) with cheaper bounty hunters not acting in collusion with each other, and Boba Fett joining would be a natural catalyst to that.

Fett probably realizes he's just a pawn in the game, but he likes the idea of thinning the herd amongst the hunters - as for an operative with his reputation, it will only bring him a higher asking price.

All good so far.

But Jeter insists on having page after page of intricate dialogue drag on and on, with characters making speeches! I have written a somewhat lengthy novel myself, but I'm not going for word count. I keep things exciting by saying what I have to say and not dragging it out. It is painful to read Jeter's stuff because it goes on an on.

I've been re-reading the EU trying to decide what parts of the chronology I could set up in cool dioramas with my action figures (that would be different, too).

When I feel compelled to, I'll post either strongly recommending or discouraging someone else from reading something.

I want to strongly discourage you from reading The Bounty Hunters' War Trilogy:

The Mandalorian Armor
    Slave Ship
    Hard Merchandise

For those who hate the Expanded Universe, here are 3 reasons why.

As I've noted on many occasions, there is also much to love, but listen to the advice of your friends that have suffered through the crap and sorted out the jewels.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I concur. I've heard some people debate the merrits that this trilogy in particular was the reason for the publishing change. Also, don't forget that Timothy Zhan ghost wrote a lot of the 3rd book because it was so terrible.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

What, the whole ridiculous plot about Xizor trying to frame Vader for Owen and Beru's deaths wasn't enough to save this series for you?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Xizor (pronounced "CHEESE-or") "Obi wan never TOLD you about what happened to your Uncle and Aunt"

Luke- "He told me enough!! He told me Darth Vader killed them!!!"

Darth Vader (walks in from Stage left) "No, Luke.. your Father didn't kill your Uncle"

Xizor (shocked) "Well- maybe you'd like to tell him about his FATHER?!?!?"

Vader- "Awwww CRAP what a jug f#*k THIS is turning into... I'm leaving, I just don't care anymore!"

This segment of EU brought to your by El Chuxter (I couldn't follow the first couple posts with this kind of crap)

Seriously, sometimes I want to pick one of these "bad EU" books up and read it- I almost got kicked out of a bookstore for flipping through a "Tales" book and laughing so heartily I nearly threw up.

This one sounds like a DOOZY, tho, thanks for the inspiration!!
    Iso & Baws

"200 pages of SW references and a nicely painted cover, please!!"- Anonymous
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Oh, I'll post if the book is really good, but I think I needed to say something if the book(s) are really bad as well.

I get through only 2-5 pages of this at a sitting and I have to force myself to read about a spider having a conversation with itself (I'm not joking).

I like the idea of a continuing chronology, but wouldn't LESS of it with extremely high standards have made it better? Lucas himself restricted the movies to 6 arguably good installments (depending upon your certain point of view) - but the merchandising machine just runs amok with this novel crap.

Still, I can't forgive others who read something like the Bounty Hunter Wars and dismiss all EU as being crap - that's still not the case.

But several folks are warning you about K.W. Jeter's books here - take some advice if you're curious about the EU - read something that others recommend like A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn). OK, those books rock and are at the very top of the food chain!

Don't generalize about the EU one way or the other. You'd be wrong in either case.

Just don't waste your time with the Bounty Hunter Wars!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.