Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Keeping Track of Collections

I did a search and wasn't able to find anything recent on how to keep track of my collection. I know my collection is small (2) but I plan on having a large 30th Anniversary collection. I would like to be able to keep track of my growing collection, but I'm not able to find any good programs. I'm also on a Mac which probably harder to find any such program. Is there anything online to keep track of collections or even a program for Mac's? How you guys keep track of your large collections?
    [COLOR=Black][B][SIZE=1]Star Wars Fan[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

i just designed an online checklist for the figures i have and what i still need. it's the basic line and exclusives only. you could also make a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel, or just go here and save a copy of each checklist(in the Visual Guides section) as a PDF. i also use a Mac, so you shouldn't have any problems making a list for yourself.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

I'm on a MAC as well and use Excel. The original spreadsheet I had for this was on a PC, but since Microsoft has been available for MAC for awhile now, I converted it.

Mine is set up into categories something like this:
    Conatiner/Name/Type/Toy line/Manufacturer/Quantity/Movie/Condition/Notes

To break that down:
    Container: Since most of my stuff is in tubs or boxes, this is where I give th container a name depending on what is in it. Mostly it's "MIXED" box (whatever the number I'm up to). Some conatiners however are specific to movie or just Gentle Giant Busts, etc.
    Name: Rather straight forward, it's the name of the item, be it a figure, battle pack, vehicle, etc. What ever the name is on the packaging is the name of the item.
    Type: This is where I denote if it's a figure, ship, playset, bust, 12 inch figure, printed materials such as books, comics, magazines, etc.
    Toy line: this is mostly for Hasbro stuff since there are many toylines for SW. Example: Galactic Heroes, Unleashed, POTF2, TAC
    Manufacturer: This helps to denote for instance if a 12 inch figure is Hasbro or Sideshow.
    Quantity: Often I get multiples so instead of listing them each, I'll just add them to the quantity. This is helpful when I've got a "troops" box. For those I might only have 2-5 entries for the container, but there's a couple hundred figures. (Cuts down on searching for info this way and makes it faster to add up totals)
    Movie: Again another obvious one. Whatever movie the item was in is denoted here. If it is EU (Other than Clone Wars Animated or Non-animated) it is noted as EU. If it's Clone Wars then it's noted as CW, in animated Clone Wars then CW-A.
    Condition: This is where I put if the item is loose, loose w/accessories, mint on card, mint in box, etc. In the case of multiples where the condition is different for some of them, I always put the highest level of condition the items are in. For instance if I have 20 clone troopers for the entry and 3 are mint while 17 are loose, I'll put "MOC" in the entry for condition, but then in the notes I'll break it down what the exact condition is.
    Notes: Just as mentioned above, this also includes if for instance I have a figure that was in a battle pack, but I only have that figure and not the rest of the battle pack for that container. Example: I got an extra Mace trooper from another collector. So that was "noted". Often when I know there will be a note for an item, I'll put "See Notes" after the title of the item in that slot so I know to look at the notes for anything special about the item. The notes section also includes the number of and edition size of a mini bust for example.

I have found after several years of cataloging this way that those sections cover everything I need to document.

It took me a long time to get my collection inventoried, since at the point I started inventorying it, I had already several years worth of toys. Now I'm usually up on it and am no more than a month or two away from being completely up to date on it. (Though right now I think I'm about three months without updating the inventory, but I have a 3-day wekend, so I'm prolly going to do some of this, this weekend.)

Good luck!
    Hope this helps.

Oh and just recently, I've begun to add a "Value" section to the spreadsheet. I'm not in this for the value, but should something happen to me, my fiancee needs to know what she should expect to get for each item. She knows not to be "taken" for the money on this stuff and my adding the value to the items will help better guide her, should the time come. (Hopefully not for many MANY years!)

-Sal
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 07-26-2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Move along, move along

I also use Excel to keep track of my stuff. Just copy and paste the checklist we have into a notepad and import the data to a spreadsheet. Simple and effective.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm on a Mac as well. I'm reluctant to spend the money on Microsoft Office, so I am still using the database in my old Appleworks program. However, it is not OS X compatible. Since I'd rather have Excel if I was going to have a spreadsheet, I haven't bought the new version of Appleworks either.

My database has fields for the name, UPC, Store Purchased, Price Paid, and a field to classify it. Originally this was what card it was on, but since I have vehicles and multi-packs as well, that's not an entirely accurate description of the field. I've lumped all vehicles together, and did the same with multi-packs. I could probably add another field for type (figure, vehicle, multi-pack, etc.), and then have the separate field for which line it is in or card it is on.

I also have checklists from Jedi Temple Archives that I have printed out. However, I can only do that after the each line is over and everything is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    I also use Excel to keep track of my stuff. Just copy and paste the checklist we have into a notepad and import the data to a spreadsheet. Simple and effective.
    Can you give me the link for the checklist?
    [COLOR=Black][B][SIZE=1]Star Wars Fan[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by stevez0r View Post
    Can you give me the link for the checklist?
    http://www.forums.sirstevesguide.com...ad.php?t=33884

There ya go.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Open Office works on Mac, I believe: http://www.openoffice.org/
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'll have to check that out. I've come across it before. I think I did try Thinkfree once, but I think that is one where the program is online. I didn't like the way that worked.

Edit - Now I remember. I was going to download OpenOffice once but I needed to install an X11 windowing environment first and didn't feeling like messing with it at the time and never got back to it.

What kind of features would you want out of an "online checklist"?
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!