Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whinge: ROTJ revisited

I just dared myself to watch ROTJ SE on DVD for the first time (I saw the original version in the cinema when it first came out). I wish to god I hadn't played that evil DVD now. I want to snap it into a million little pieces and hurl it off my balcony onto the streets below, but I can't because it belongs to my friend. I mean, I thought ANH SE was crap, so I wasn't expecting much, and as for the prequels - I don't even consider them to be Star Wars, so don't even go there. I try and pretend to myself that they don't exist, or that they're part of a different saga or something. I think of them like "Kiddies' Star Wars" - like how you can get fizzy pretend-alcoholic drinks for kids to drink on Xmas day, while the adults get stuck into the beer and wine. So I knew it would be bad, but I'm just so disappointed and upset that I had to post to have a whinge about it to get it out of my system so I can sleep tonight.

That stupid cartoony band member with the big gob was so irritating! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joh-Yowza-01.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	15808 That one scene where you get a close up of him "singing" spoilt the whole Jabba's palace scene for me, which I've always loved. I was trying to concentrate on the cool ones like Amanaman and Ephant Mon, and Oola (gotta love her!), but I just couldn't block it out. What's this fascination for 3D cartoon characters these days? They're going to date horribly. Might be OK for Toy Story, but not for Star Wars. It's such an insult. There might have been problems with the puppets, but I'd still far rather see them than stupid, animated characters.

Why the hell did they have to go and change Anakin's spirit? I want Luke's proper dad back, not that young guy from the Films Of Evil.

And at the end when this Jar-J...

excuse me a moment...

[gags]

Sorry. At the end when this Jar-Jar lookalike shouts "we-sa free!" I just wanted to burst into tears and puke at the same time. What were they thinking!!? They turned it into a run-of-the-mill Hollywood film for the kiddies. I've come away feeling utterly depressed, and wondering why I bother collecting the action figures. I feel conned! I feel like I've had all my childhood memories violently ripped away from me. I'm off to bed to feel miserable about it.

Thank god for the Emperor, who was still brilliant, and the likes of Harrison Ford, whose acting still shone through despite all the computer-generated crap going on around him. I must remember to hold on to the good things...

I definitely liked "Lapti Nek" better than the musical number they put in the Special Edition. The other stuff you mentioned doesn't really bother me as I liked the prequels for the most part.

Harrison Ford, really? One of the faults I find with ROTJ is that he's a little over the top in this one. I don't mind the other stuff much though.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I think the Special Edition of ROTJ ruined my memories of that movie more than the other two. To me, ROTJ was always perfect, so there was no real need for any additional effects. When I watched Star Wars and ESB back in the late-80s/early-90s, I could definitely see things that could be "spruced up a bit" in terms of the special effects. However, what started out as just cleaning up the picture and enhancing the special effects, turned into revising the story and characters themselves.

If Star Wars became the most successful movie of all time without a Jabba the Hutt scene, then why did George suddenly think that a Jabba the Hutt scene was so necessary? The scene was clearly shot when Jabba was intended to be a very different character, so trying to shoehorn a giant slug next to Han Solo was doomed from the start. Plus, there was nothing revealed in that scene that wasn't already covered in the Greedo scene a few minutes before (we won't even discuss Greedo shooting first).

I'm not completely against CG animation in films, but I am against poorly executed, half-hearted CG which is what we got in the Special Editions.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Don't even get me started on the Jabba scene. They managed to get Jabba to look cute! Jabba was never supposed to look cute. He was supposed to be an evil, disgusting slug. The beginning of ROTJ was good partly because we didn't know what Jabba looked like. It was the not knowing that drew you into that palace with the droids. These SE's leave nothing to the imagination. I don't like the new Sarlacc either. I preferred it just as a pit with teeth. As a kid I used to try and imagine what the creature under the sand might look like. Now that mouth thing is there it just fills in too many details, and as a result it's much less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithaba View Post
    Why the hell did they have to go and change Anakin's spirit? I want Luke's proper dad back, not that young guy from the Films Of Evil.
    worst change in all of the SE movies. there was no need for the change, as Vader truly became good at the end of ROTJ. as a kid he was an emotional brat, same goes for his teenage years leading up to his turn to the dark side.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Harrison Ford, really? One of the faults I find with ROTJ is that he's a little over the top in this one. I don't mind the other stuff much though.
    I noticed a definite "Indiana Jones" influence on Han Solo, in ROTJ. Which is understandable when you consider that Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screenplays for Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Return of the Jedi. It just feels like he was having trouble keeping the characters separate by the time he wrote ROTJ.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Good God, you guys sound like George Lucas raped you.

Don't like it, don't watch it.
    Its that simple.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post

Its that simple.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I'd known for sure how awful it was gonna be, I wouldn't have watched it for fear of permanent psychological damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post

Its that simple.

Exactly the way I feel. Hence why I only watch the original theatrical releases. Makes my life easier and happier
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten