Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chasing Amy SE DVD - minus the movie?

Newsaskew.com posted a wrap-up of Kevin Smith at Comic-Con and Kevin made a rather odd, yet pretty cool announcement: like Clerks and Mallrats, Chasing Amy will receive the 10th anniversary DVD treatment, but it will only be the bonus disc.

One of the top questions here at News Askew has always been “When’s Chasing Amy X coming out on DVD?” This tenth anniversary set was something that we just assumed would arrive much like Mallrats X did, with a jam-packed edition including the film as well as that Q&A we watched them film at Vulgarthon LA, along with some other stuff. Well, we have the answer for ya now, sorta. Once again, View Askew is blazing the trail and looking out for the fans, by allowing us to get all that great NEW stuff without having to buy the film all over again (no “double dipping” here). We think that IGN said it best:
    • During his panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, Kevin Smith confirmed that a supplementary DVD will be released next year for his 1997 Spirit Award winning Chasing Amy. To keep the style of special edition versions of his movie going, Smith’s opus will get a special edition treatment, but rather than being packaged into a new “collectors edition” DVD set, a single disc will be released that is set to include a slew of extras to act as a counterpart to the Criterion Collection DVD released in 2000. Set to be included with the new disc is a Chasing Amy documentary found on the web, a post-screening Q and A from a film festival as well as interviews and reflections from the cast and crew of the film.
      Smith said to expect this new disc to be available sometime next summer.
    So, there’s your answer. We’re sorry to say you’ll need to wait another year to see this stuff, but we’re sure it will be worth it — Criterion doesn’t mess around when it comes to their DVD work, and neither do Kevin and View Askew. It’ll be here before ya know it. As for a dual-disc set, at this point nothing’s been announced, so it looks like you’ll need to buy them seperately (if for some crazy reason you don’t already own it). We’ll let you know as we hear more.
    I really like this idea. I, like many others, really hate double dipping for a movie that isn't an extended/director's cut.
    I'm also a cautiously optimistic. I'll wait and see how it turns out and what the price will be for it. Anything more than $10 seems excessive, which could be pushing it, IMO.
    If it works, hopefully other studios will continue the trend.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Only things I don't like about the idea...

1. The transfer for the Criterion Chasing Amy isn't the greatest. It's also misframed in one scene, which hasn't been fixed since the laserdisc days.

2. Since it's just a bonus disc, no new Audio Commentary/Commentaries with the cast and crew... looking back at the film over a decade later now. Boo.

Interesting idea, but I don't think I'll even buy it. I didn't even buy the Mallrats 10th Anniversary Edition. If Smith thinks he can do the same thing for Dogma or even Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, he's nuts. Those DVDs are already packed with extras.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

When he said "just the second disk" I had to scoff, as cute an idea as it is, where are they going to sell this? I remember him saying there will be the full 2pack available as well, which makes sense since that's a growth audience while the bonus-only disk isn't. But ultimately, this is the double-dipper's dilemma and I suspect Criterion is going to eat it on this move.

Not that I care, I thought Chasing Amy sucked worst of all the Viewaskewniverse. (I avoided Mallrats because everybody said it sucked, then I avoided Chasing Amy because it LOOKED like it sucked, but everybody said it was great so eventually I gave them both a chance and was shocked at how entertaining Mallrats turned out to be and how pompous and false Chasing Amy was. That's right, I said it!)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

This isn't unprecedented, as they did the same thing with The Matrix.

Any word on a bonus disc for Jersey Girl?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Awesome that means the "F DVD" comment at the start of the commentary will not be replaced with a 2007 commentary.

A bonus disc only for Jersey Girl would probably outsell the movie itself.

How about selling the rights to NOT purchase it? That'd be the best seller of all.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah JT, good idea - maybe pay for a lifetime blocking of the film...you pay $29.99 SRP (cheaper in the discount chains) and then you are guaranteed against ever seeing it on DVD, on TV, or at a friend's house. Also insures against accidental exposure / partial viewings.

(Chux you know I'm a fan of Jersey Girl. )

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Not that I care, I thought Chasing Amy sucked worst of all the Viewaskewniverse. (I avoided Mallrats because everybody said it sucked, then I avoided Chasing Amy because it LOOKED like it sucked, but everybody said it was great so eventually I gave them both a chance and was shocked at how entertaining Mallrats turned out to be and how pompous and false Chasing Amy was. That's right, I said it!)
    Hooper X alone was worth the money. Also, the point needed to be made- gay-bashing is an acute form of self-loathing. I thought the deleted-scene in the comic shop with Steve-Dave and Walt the fanboy was a riot. There was also a nice scene where the other lesbians reacted with disgust when Alyssa said she was with a dude. It confronts a lot of issues- but it isn't a movie I would really want to see again, Banky just gets on my nerves and some of the dialogue is just atrocious.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car