Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Bad Is Hasbro Recycling Body Parts For Figures? Do You Care?

Personally, I don't care and I don't even keep score to see if Qui-Gon's lower tunic helps yeild A'Sharad Hett or something.

Does anyone care if they re-use Dutch Vandor or VOTC X-wing Luke's body that much to give us the other pilots with new heads?

OK, Ozzel and Palleon (if he is ever made) should be shorter than average Imperial officers, but what about the Lt. Shan female Imp outfit and Ysanne Isard?

Now those of you who bought Playmates Star Trek back in the day, complained that too many re-paints for the different season uniforms killed the line.

Will this hurt or not hurt Star Wars? Isn't it inevitable?

Do you care if every Jedi robed figure is a completely new sculpt? Can you even tell without much of an effort?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

Do you care if every Jedi robed figure is a completely new sculpt? Can you even tell without much of an effort?
    I do customs, especially Jedi figures and so yes, I can tell without much effort at all. However I don't mind recycling of body parts at all.

I really don't care as long as the figure is fairly accurate. I think a new head for Imperial officers is a great way to get some figures we might not otherwise get.

I'd like to see Amidala's head on Jek Porkins body.

And visa versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I really don't care as long as the figure is fairly accurate. I think a new head for Imperial officers is a great way to get some figures we might not otherwise get.
    So long as we get knee articulation...heh. Stupid Death Star Breifing figures without that articulation...

About the Imp officers, the only thing that bothes me is the ranking. For instance the new Luke. He's not a Grand Moff, he's just a one blue pip (that's the squares on the tunic) Leiutenant. As well the female officer is the same or maybe a twoover two blue and red pip LT. But not the 5 in a line pip rank the figure shows.

While some customization is possible to fixed these incorrect ranks, we should be forced to do that. So the reuse of molds in this case does bother me.

Regarding Jedi, many robes can be inter-changeable without much problem, but there are exceptions to this rule as well.

All in all I'm not to bothered with resue of parts, but when they continue to charge us more and more for these when it's an obvious reuse of parts (see ROTS clone from the Legends wave) then it's a travesty. At this point, that clone mold shouldn't be any more than $4 as it's been used ad naseum and no new tooling need be made.

I'd say that so long as a figure is mostly new I don't have a problem with some reused parts, but when the reused parts are 70 percent or more, then that figure should be considered for a multi pack of some nature, be that comic 2-pack, battle pack, etc. It's very unfair to ask we consumers to buy mostly reused figures at normal retail price. Yet that's precisely what Hasbro has done on many occasion, and much more so in the time that Darryl DePreist has taking over the line (coming over from G.I.Joe, which I understand was a problem there as well-though if I'm wrong someone tell me nicely please).
    Move along, move along

I dont care really. The only thing I care about is re-issued parts and price increases. They arent using new molds, so why the increase?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    So long as we get knee articulation...heh.
    All of the female figures should come with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    About the Imp officers, the only thing that bothes me is the ranking. For instance the new Luke. He's not a Grand Moff, he's just a one blue pip (that's the squares on the tunic) Leiutenant. As well the female officer is the same or maybe a twoover two blue and red pip LT. But not the 5 in a line pip rank the figure shows.
    Actually, since Luke's on Ozzel's body he's ranked Admiral, not Grand Moff, but his comic-accurate rank of Lieutenant is two reds over two blues. Same with Deena Shan.

While I have no problem with the Juno Eclipse sculpt being used for an Ysanne Isard, I don't much care for its use with Deena Shan since she's supposed to be in a jumpsuit, not the tunic uniforms.

I also don't have a problem with the reuse of pilot bodies... I just wish Hasbro would do some research and not ASSUME that all pilots other than Luke are perfectly acceptable at 6' tall, aka Dutch Vander. Dutch was tall. Biggs was tall. But couldn't they even compare facts about Wedge with Luke, or even DENIS LAWSON with MARK HAMILL!? Denis/Wedge is SHORTER than Mark/Luke. Tycho Celchu, should they ever turn him into a Rogue Squadron X-wing pilot, is about Luke's height, too. Same with Wes Janson and Hobbie Klivian, yet Hobbie's also saddled with the too-tall Vander.

For other reuse... when it's applicable, sure! Just try for the best bits possible, and if it's something that has a rank, RETOOL IT. They did it for the Jerjerodd torso used on all the new DS Briefing officers... yet didn't retool Tarkin for his 6x2 badge, leaving him with the 5x2 ROTS badge.

For Jedi, same thing, if it's a reasonable match to the new Jedi, go for it! Particularly with EU Jedi going forward. If they can kitbash something that looks cool and has some great articulation, I don't mind the reuse. I REALLY want Hasbro to reuse accessory sculpts where appropriate, rather than just having a couple go-to ideas (like Stormtrooper E-11s for EVERY IMPERIAL -- that's just lazy, and often inaccurate or flat-out inappropriate), or the POTF2-era Obi-Wan/Luke saber when there's the far better--not accurate to Luke, but better--ROTS Obi-Wan saber & hilt to repaint as a temporary fix until they get off their lazy bums and sculpt up a new one with all the proper differences from the Obi-Wan hilt.

Well, the endless Clone repaints have cured me of any notions of army building and I really just have no interest in getting an action figure representation of every single character in the Star Wars universe. So, I'm currently only interested in characters that would require completely new sculpts, with the only real exception being the weapons and accessories.

Sooo, that means that, with as much as I would want a Kithaba figure, I would rather Hasbro NEVER make the figure than try to kitbash Barada into Kithaba. Either they do it right with an all-new sculpt or they don't do it at all.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I don't care even slightly as long as it's acceptably accurate. If they wanted, for example, to put a new Tycho head directly onto a Han body and call it Tycho, I'm not too worried about how tall he is supposed to be in relation to Han.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06