Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Umpass Stay reviewed (Umpass won't stay)

I was shocked to pick up a couple of wave 4 figs from Toys R Us today, and one in particular I was looking forward to: Umpass Stay. When getting the fig, I cracked him open only to discover his articulation was a serious problem in regards to displaying the fig. He is posed as if he needs to be on a bike or seat. There is no leg joints, and his torso weight is so much that if you don't have a stand he will fall. His thumbs also jut out to the point that there is no natural look for the figure. The good news is the detail of this fig is wonderful. The paint ap is impressive too. His drum, like Umpass constantly falls like the fig, but the best news is that Ak Rev is coming because they made the drum so that another side could connect with it. You can buy two Umpass' to make a solid drum, and since I want to make a better Jabba diorama I may end up doing this. The fig gets thumbs down from me because it terrorizes me with memories of the arthritic poses of the Saga line back in 2002 and 2003.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    I was shocked to pick up a couple of wave 4 figs from Toys R Us today, and one in particular I was looking forward to: Umpass Stay. When getting the fig, I cracked him open only to discover his articulation was a serious problem in regards to displaying the fig. He is posed as if he needs to be on a bike or seat. There is no leg joints, and his torso weight is so much that if you don't have a stand he will fall. His thumbs also jut out to the point that there is no natural look for the figure. The good news is the detail of this fig is wonderful. The paint ap is impressive too. His drum, like Umpass constantly falls like the fig, but the best news is that Ak Rev is coming because they made the drum so that another side could connect with it. You can buy two Umpass' to make a solid drum, and since I want to make a better Jabba diorama I may end up doing this. The fig gets thumbs down from me because it terrorizes me with memories of the arthritic poses of the Saga line back in 2002 and 2003.
    That's wierd, I have two of these figures and I haven't had a single problem with either of them standing on their own. The drum holds it own perfectly as well.

I've attached some photos of both figures and you can see that they stand on their own with no problems at all.

I guess I waited too long, because I was just about to post a review stating that this is easily the single coolest (non-vintage) figure released by Hasbro this year.

The lack of knee articulation doesn't bother me at all, in fact, I think knee joints would have just ruined what turned out to be an excellent leg sculpt. The folds in the pants just look incredibly realistic and natural.

Everything else about this figure is just amazing. They took a few liberties with the alien design, since the actual constume just recycled a Barada mask (in the production photos, you can still see the velcro patch that was used to hold Barada's bandana in place in the center of Umpass' forehead)

I guess Hasbro also decided that a musician needs ears. The original Barada mask doesn't have ears so Hasbro had to sculpt some ears holes into the side of his head.

Overall, this figure gets an A+ from me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umpass3.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	15906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umpass1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	15907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umpass.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	15908  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Ugh, I don't like having to post how much I like this figure in a thread with such a negative title, but I know that if I start a new thread, it will just get merged into this one.

Anyways, about the artistic liscense that Hasbro took with Umpass' head sculpt. Initially, I was a little bothered by it, but I don't see it as a big deal because, those features were unique to Barada and this isn't a Barada figure.

Here's a photo of one of the original "Barada" masks. I believe this one might actually belong to Kithaba, since Barada seemed to have more of a greenish tint to his skin (at least in the production photos).

Umpass was created using this mask, so technically, his head details should be the same, but Hasbro might have just been trying to give the figure his own identity. The second photo is a detail shot of the Umpass figure, so you can see the liberties Hasbro took with the alien's design.

Name:	baradamask.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	15914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umpasshead.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	15915  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

did the guy inside Umpass' costume have really short legs too? I know his legs are bent here but they seem weirdly short. don't like the ball jointed head thing either. makes it so hard to customise figures.
    I do like the look of the figure though and the drum when fitted two halves together looks ok if a little small. really hope hasbro comes up with the percusion sometime to complete the drum kit.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    did the guy inside Umpass' costume have really short legs too? I know his legs are bent here but they seem weirdly short. don't like the ball jointed head thing either. makes it so hard to customise figures.
    I do like the look of the figure though and the drum when fitted two halves together looks ok if a little small. really hope hasbro comes up with the percusion sometime to complete the drum kit.
    I think Hasbro was trying to stay true to the original sketches for the character. If you check out the SE revised version of the Art of Return of the Jedi book, you'll see design sketches for a "girthy," short legged drummer. The character was conceived with Weequay, Nikto and Barada heads, and they ultimately settled on the Barada head for the film.

Name:	umpass-nikto.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	15944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umpass-sketch.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	15945  

Have had this figure for a little while now (behind on updating the photo database), and I've no complaints. It's great for what it is... which is good really, considering that I wasn't going to bother with getting it.

I think bigbarada may have talked me into it.

He does have some problems with standing though, but I think it's more of a typical warped from being bent by the bubble kind of thing. I'll try heating and bending his legs a bit to help that. My drum half stands just fine as is. Looks good... no problems there for me.

I give this guy a solid 7 out of 10.

Umpass Stay Review with Pictures!

Hey all,

It's seems like forever since I had something to review. I actually got a Hoth Han on clearance at Target, that I forgot about. But, I was really yearning for something new.

My wife spotted some new figs at TRU before I did. (I'm a really lucky guy.) To that end I give you the TVFT review of Umpass Stay. I know, there's a thread already, but I thought those of you who haven't seen him yet would enjoy the pics.

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/umpass_stay.asp

Enjoy! New review next week as well!
    Engineernerd

Nice review! That fourth picture down makes him look like he's taking a leak.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Cool review; this is one of those figs that looks real sharp in packaging. I may pick one up to keep him MOC....the detail in the sculpt it quite good, as are the paint apps!
    Real men buy Willrow

Why is everyone having so much trouble getting their Umpass Stay figures to stand on their own?

It's wierd, I haven't had this problem at all. In fact, both Umpass figures that I display loose are some of the more stable Star Wars figures in my collection. They rarely fall over when the desk or table gets bumped or moved around.

Oh, and thanks for the mental image concerning his drumstick accessory I never saw it that way. I actually thought it looked more like a suppository.