Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Unhappy No vintage figures for 2008?

From thejawa.com's Hasbro Q&A:

1) Nick@TheJawa - The modern Vintage line has covered almost all of our favorite heroes & villains from the OT, almost to the point of exhaustion. Army builders have found a niche in this line as well. But with the choices beginning to dwindle from Kenner's original character lineup, how is Hasbro prepared to meet the challenge of keeping a very popular line like modern Vintage going? What did the responses to polls on this subject reveal at Celebration 4?

We don't have any concrete answers yet on the future of Vintage. The poll answers didn't reveal one strong direction or the other - nearly half of fans felt that Vintage should be opened up to the entire Saga (probably due to the main characters having already been done, as you suggest, and wanting to see only popular characters in vintage), and the other half indicated that they want us to stay true to the Kenner roots and cover only OTC figures. With the issue of the main OTC figures having been done, it does present a challenge going forward on how to make future waves of vintage compelling, but it's a challenge we'll be looking at. There is no set date for when we'll see the next wave - right now, Evolutions is our premium-format focus for next year.
    It almost sounds like they are saying we're not getting a vintage wave in 2008 because we're getting more Evolutions figures.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    From thejawa.com's Hasbro Q&A:

It almost sounds like they are saying we're not getting a vintage wave in 2008 because we're getting more Evolutions figures.
    they can stay the basic figure line and evolution packs as long as they make figures based on movie and movie accurate.

I hope they make a allnew sculpt nien numb figure!

Its a give and take thing here. I would love the Vintage figs, but the Evolutions are finally giving us an SA Qui-Gon, as well as some EU figures that I have wanted. Fans have been asking for more Evolution sets and we are getting them, but at the Vintage cost. I would rather pay 20 bucks for the Evo sets instead of 10 bucks a pop for a background character at most right now in that line since the main characters have all been done.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The one concern I have with Evolutions is what is coming in the Fett set. I very much want Boba and Jango, and have no real clue who Mandalore is (and don't care)....but I have to buy figs in a set I don't want to get those that I do.

No Vintage in 2008 will be a very sad thing for me. I have loved this line as much as anything in the 12 years since Hasbro has done the modern line.
    Real men buy Willrow

Quote Originally Posted by AmanaMatt View Post
    The one concern I have with Evolutions is what is coming in the Fett set. I very much want Boba and Jango, and have no real clue who Mandalore is (and don't care)....but I have to buy figs in a set I don't want to get those that I do.
    Two out of three ain't bad. Plus the third figure is new and not a repack, so it's not like buying a battle pack with four repacks to get one new figure. If they are $20 Evolution sets, then that would be about the same price per figure as a basic figure. Throw out the figure you don't want and then the average price is the same as a Vintage style figure. The quality on the Evolution figures have been pretty good, so I would say it would be worth it to get the Boba and Jango.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

This is horrible news! I am seriously IRKED!!! All the evolutions will bring us is more pointless EU SITH dolts and the like. I couldn't be less interested in the current Evolutions line up. . . Seriously. Yawn.

Oh, well. Even less to buy. . . I guess. This year, other than the VINTAGE wave which I snapped up in its entirety, I have only bought the following.

2 Jawas with LIN-V8K
    1 Luke Skywalker (for the vaporator only!)
    1 Rebel Honor Guard
    2 CZ-4s (on order)
    1 of each of this years Cantina Aliens (on order)
    1 R2-B1
    1 4-LOM
    1 Fireside Padme

Without the Vintage Line, my interest will considerable dim, I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Two out of three ain't bad. Plus the third figure is new and not a repack, so it's not like buying a battle pack with four repacks to get one new figure. If they are $20 Evolution sets, then that would be about the same price per figure as a basic figure. Throw out the figure you don't want and then the average price is the same as a Vintage style figure. The quality on the Evolution figures have been pretty good, so I would say it would be worth it to get the Boba and Jango.
    I agree with this example.....two out of three is good, and the two figs alone will be worth the $20ish price tag, but then that is VTAC prices for me and a lot of people who want Vintage.....people complained that the vintage line was too much, but this line - if you buy a set for two figs, will be about the same.

Now, I can handle two figs out of three....but what I am concern about is this: What if they released evolutions with: Boba Fett, Madalore, and some other EU fig that I am not into? Then, we are talking frustration....but still, Hasbro has been good with the line so far.

One set I am passing on: The Qui gon set. As much as I want him, I do not want to pay for the other two....
    Real men buy Willrow

I'm dissapointed we still haven't gotten a difinitive Vintage Luke Jedi. Isn't there supposed to be a Death Squad Commander also?
    I like the Evolutions sets because of the cool Prequel figures, but I'm sure we all could come up with five figures that could be done for one more last wave of the OTC Vintage style figures.

If there is no Vintage in 2008, I'll be bummed out but I like the Evolutions sets (I missed the original releases so I look forward to picking those old ones and the new ones up.) It's an okay trade off for me. So long as they come back to the Vintage for 2009, I'll be okay. If this is the end of the line, then so be it -- it's been a great run and I'll treasure the ones they made. The VOTC was what brought me back to the line after a 6 year hiatus.

I too share my disappointment with you all in this matter. We still have a couple of good waves left. I'd like to see jedi luke and a gam guard before it's all said and done. If hasbro kills the line, they should integrate the vintage concept(SA, paint apps. proper soft goods) more in depth with the basic line and we'd have something nice on our hands to work with. I just feel that paying 7-8 bucks for basic and not really being satisfied with the fig itself (kitbash,cartoon paint apps.some bad scuplting, articulation when needed) is a letdown for the collector.
    And just for the record the only basic fig i bought this year was vader.
    I was in need of another and this one was well crafted. There might be a few more buys in the future but only time will tell.