Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rollerball

Rollerball

SEE IT!

If you're into high adrenaline filmmaking, run, don't walk to see Rollerball. It's quick, tells its story, tells it well, and gets out. No lingering on extraneous backstory or exposition. The "corporate" message from the original is solidly packed into a screamin' 90 minutes.

Any holes? Who the hell knows? There isn't time to consider any before you're swept off into the next sequence. Big movie. Damn, McTiernan is good.

...if only they'd have shot it here in the states instead of Canada. Damn NAFTA.

I'd go see but it doesn't look good to me and it's getting bad reviews. I might rent it when it comes to DVD though.

i won't go see any movie that is based on a 70's roller skating fighting game starring ladies love cool james.

Originally posted by master jedi
    I'd go see but it doesn't look good to me and it's getting bad reviews. I might rent it when it comes to DVD though.
    The bad reviews that I've seen so far are based on the AICN review from eons ago. The movie has been recut and redone since then. Hit a matinee. I look forward to the DVD too. Cut scenes didn't seem to impact the film negatively but I'd like to see them, not to mention the full frontal of Rebecca.

Stillakid, I plan to see this within the coming week, but can you tell me if you noticed the singer Pink in the film ?

I saw a bad review of this just this morning on the local Fox news who saw the movie at the press showings earlier in the week. One of the folks who saw it called it "the worst movie ever" - ouch.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I haven't seen it yet and most likely wait until it comes out on DVD. I hope its good because I like the 1st one even if it is a old one.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Originally posted by Caesar
    Stillakid, I plan to see this within the coming week, but can you tell me if you noticed the singer Pink in the film ?
    I honestly don't know Pink from the next guy (gal), but they did "feature" a hot singer a few times who I suspect was Pink. So I'll go out on a limb and say yes.

JT, I know a bunch of those reviewers and they typically have a kind of pack mentality, especially when it comes to a movie like this. They are all invited to a pre-screening, usually, together. With the AICN bad press that began a long time ago, I think that the general attitude is that it is "uncool" to like this movie. People are afraid to take a stand and like a film that "everybody else" doesn't. Very high school. Anyway, the plot was simple but well laid out in context of a high energy action film. If they don't like cut and dried plots, that's one thing. But I'm able to enjoy a film like MEMENTO and still find joy in a roller-coaster like ROLLERBALL. I liked SPEED for cryin out loud. Talk about a plot that looks like swiss cheese, but it had enough going for it that I was able to ignore the parts that weren't great. ROLLERBALL is like SPEED, but without Keanu, without the plot holes (as far as I can tell without seeing it again), and much much much faster.

No, it isn't like the original, but if that's what people want to see then there's probably a Blockbuster down the street. This is an adapted take on an old concept with the same title.

And, hey, it's only like $5 bucks if you hit an afternoon screening.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    I saw a bad review of this just this morning on the local Fox news who saw the movie at the press showings earlier in the week. One of the folks who saw it called it "the worst movie ever" - ouch.
    Who was that, by that way? He(she) must have never seen Showgirls, or Metalstorm, or ...(should I go on?)