Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luke's lightsaber in space?

Does anyone else find this corny? A stormtrooper send-off and everything for the space shuttle mission, and carrying Luke's lightsaber up and back?

Maybe I'm in a bad mood right now, but I'm shaking my head and rolling my eyes over this one.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yes. Very, very lame.

It would have been cooler if they had just named the next Space Shuttle The Executor.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Yup, I think they are getting a little carried away with this publicity stunt.
    The original lightsaber isn't some holy relic is it?
    I would've rather seen two astronaughts fight in zero gravity with two electronic lightsabers.
    Maybe one of them could be in a astro-diaper.

According to the news they are going to toss the lightsaber out into space. If that is true they are very stupid. They'll never get it back because A it will fall into a star, B burn up in a planet's atmosphere or C get nailed by a comet or asteroid. D be discovered by an alien then transformed into a real lightsaber then they come gunning for us.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Yet another embarrassing day to be a SW fan and another reason I'm moving farther and farther away from SW.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

They're not tossing it into space, they're taking it up and bringing it back down, putting it on display, then eventually giving it back to Lucas.

I'm super annoyed by them taking the dopey ROTJ Luke stunt saber for this, it's the wrong movie's saber and it's not even the hero version of the prop, it's a reworked version of an Obi-Wan ANH saber that's not accurate to anything anymore.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Um, why is this supposedly cool anyhow?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Not a lot of things get a free ride into space, it's a friggin' honor that Star Wars is seen as so important that it gets celebrated in such a way. Every millimeter of space and gram of weight is of vital importance on a shuttle mission, so it's not just like they threw it in the back of a U-haul and drove it to the grand canyon.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well the shuttle took Lisa Nowak over the deep end

Still, the lightsaber is kind of like a big waste of time to me. If one of the astronauts is a rabid SW fan and wants it to go with him, OK. Then it should be THAT astronaut's show I guess. But for NASA to make a big deal out of this? OK, I get the Post Office thing. And if the 501st wants to gather together and have a convention of sorts to watch a shuttle lift-off or landing, I get that too.

But I don't get what it's about to take the darn saber up and back. It's just a prop. What would be cooler is if a couple of the astronaughts took MR's FX sabers with them up there and put to video a lightsaber fight in zero-g. I'd watch that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Well the shuttle took Lisa Nowak over the deep end

What would be cooler is if a couple of the astronaughts took MR's FX sabers with them up there and put to video a lightsaber fight in zero-g. I'd watch that!
    I wanna see Lisa Nowak and her rival in a "Duel of the Fates" in diapers of course.

Watch some late-night comedy show make this skit.

I can't believe they're bringing the lightsaber back. I think that Scotty needs one for protection in the underworld...er..underspace. Though they should've given him a phaser.