Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That's interersting, BCJ. My take on it was always "I won't be able to help you", not "I won't help you", I thought there was some sort of force related reason that would stop Obi Wan, as opposed to his choice (but then that's not right either, Luke could hear Obi Wan in the presence of Darth Vader as soon Obi Wan gave himself to the force in ANH).

When I watched it recently, I guess I started to consider the fact that Obi Wan might be choosing to refuse to help Luke instead. Seemed odd.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Yeah, the old man was a real help to the little b**** when he told him to run in the earlier movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason View Post
    That's interersting, BCJ. My take on it was always "I won't be able to help you", not "I won't help you", I thought there was some sort of force related reason that would stop Obi Wan, as opposed to his choice (but then that's not right either, Luke could hear Obi Wan in the presence of Darth Vader as soon Obi Wan gave himself to the force in ANH).

When I watched it recently, I guess I started to consider the fact that Obi Wan might be choosing to refuse to help Luke instead. Seemed odd.
    I think that your first answer is the correct one. In ANH, Luke isn't choosing to go face Vader or his biggest demons. He's going to blow up the Death Star because he believes that he should help the Rebellion. That's what he was always interested in anyway. And a part of him was after that adventure and excitement that Yoda speaks of in ESB.

In ESB, Luke chooses to go face Vader. This has nothing to do with looking for adventure and excitement. He's leaving his training before he is emotionally prepared to face a psychologically, physically, and "Forcefully" stronger nemesis. I'm sure that Spirit Ben would have helped Luke on Bespin if he could have, after all "that boy was our last hope." He didn't help because he couldn't for some reason. Maybe it was something about the Force or because of Vader. Who knows, but it is crystal clear that he didn't help the boy because he couldn't.

So Obi-Wan says, "I won't be able to help you," but Shmi says, "He can help you. He was meant to help you."

Okay, that proves nothing. Just thought I'd point it out.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Obi-Wan says "I cannot interfere." He and Yoda also do their best at the end to impart as much advice as possible as he leaving, such as "Don't give in to hate", and "Mind what you have learned."

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Obi-Wan says "I cannot interfere." He and Yoda also do their best at the end to impart as much advice as possible as he leaving, such as "Don't give in to hate", and "Mind what you have learned."
    If you (collective "you") notice, there really are only a small handful of bumper sticker advice sayings that Yoda and/or Obi Wan give out in the course of three movies. I've always tried to figure out what the heck Yoda was teaching Luke in all of that off-camera time.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    If you (collective "you") notice, there really are only a small handful of bumper sticker advice sayings that Yoda and/or Obi Wan give out in the course of three movies. I've always tried to figure out what the heck Yoda was teaching Luke in all of that off-camera time.
    Maybe they just repeated the same things all the time. Sometimes repetition and constant drills are what you need for something to sink in.

The radio version of ANH has some extended scenes of Ben training Luke to use the lightsaber. I only listened to the ESB radio drama once so I don't recall what else happened there.

I'm thinking now that Yoda and Obi Wan see this as a critical incident that they dare not interfere with, for fear of dooming any slim chance of bringing balance to the force. If they chose to help Luke on Bespin, they may have somehow forced Luke into Vader's arms - the threat of which was far worse even than having Luke killed.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Hijacked! Just like Obi-Wan would've done; to serve his own purposes.

But I figured I wouldn't start a whole new thread, for a topic related to the old Jedi. Obi-Wan knows that Luke and Leia are siblings. Luke makes a few "she's beautiful" comments around Ben. Ben does NOTHING to deter Luke from any romantic feelings for her. Not even to distract him or have him focus on his important tasks at hand. If anything, he plays on Luke's infatuations to get him to join his "d___ crusade." Creepy?
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Hijacked! Just like Obi-Wan would've done; to serve his own purposes.

But I figured I wouldn't start a whole new thread, for a topic related to the old Jedi. Obi-Wan knows that Luke and Leia are siblings. Luke makes a few "she's beautiful" comments around Ben. Ben does NOTHING to deter Luke from any romantic feelings for her. Not even to distract him or have him focus on his important tasks at hand. If anything, he plays on Luke's infatuations to get him to join his "d___ crusade." Creepy?
    I think that's just more evidence that Luke and Leia were never intended to be brother and sister until the final plot revisions for ROTJ.