Star Wars Figures - Lightsabers

Does anyone know why the lightsabers on the original star wars figures had a tapered end?

I won't say any style of vintage lightsaber are "tapered." The telescope style is the closet to tapering. The brake (the place where the main body meets the tip) is a bit rounded and then forms the tip. The end of the tip is also rounded. My understanding of the double telescoping style is the brake in more squared off. I don't know a thing about the tips of the DT sabers. The sword style sabers don't taper at all. They have a rounded tip. Now the pop-up saber is a bit funny. It gets fatter towards the end and has a bulb tip.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I've always thought it was to keep the saber from "getting stuck" in the figure's arm slot. If the L pull tab ever broke, a kid could still pull it out by that thin end. And if both the tab and end were gone, well, you might need a good blaster by your side, kid. :slygrin:

BTW, all my friends and I always cut off the tips 'cause we thought they didn't look "real" enough. So I have had to seek out figures with the complete saber in the secondary markets.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    the place where the main body meets the tip is a bit rounded and then forms the tip. The end of the tip is also rounded. They have a rounded tip. It gets fatter towards the end and has a bulb tip.
    Are we talking about lightsabers here?

I actually had a second thought on this (no jokes about thinking, people ). I wonder if it was supposed to seem like the lightsaber was igniting as it was moving through the arm (thin blade to full one). Maybe.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."