Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

What major thresholds have you crossed since joining SSG?

I came to the realization that it's been over 8 years since I clicked on a search engine hit for "Star Wars collectibles" and signed up under a fake name. A lot's changed since I was a four-year old toddler then; well, maybe I was a tad older than that. What have you done in your life that's been significant, after your official joining here? I'll just let this get up to 1138 page worth of posts before I chime in.
    "That's what Sheev said."

OOOOoooooooooooo, I like the idea behind this thread, BCJ!

I remember joining primarily to chat about the AOTC figures that were released that month. At the time, I had just quit the technical school I was attending that February as I wasn't getting my money's worth. At that point, I was accepted to Ohio University that was starting that September. So, I initially had about a seven month period of downtime for working, partying, geekery and whatnot. So, I attended OU from 2002-2005, where I graduated and I am now attending University of Toledo for my Master's Degree where i'm currently taking three courses and teaching two. So, yeah, I got my undergrad, in the middle of getting my Master's. I've attended many concerts, did some traveling, had about 1-2 failed relationships, watched a few hundred movies, thousands of great hours with friends and family (a good share while intoxicated hehehe) and blown thousands of dollars on figures. .....all while my Cubs haven't won a World series.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Since joining (in April 2002 according to my profile - holy carp!!!!), I've watched AOTC and ROTS, had a second child (please note - these accomlishments are NOT in any order of significance, just worthy of me noting here), moved my whole family twice.... and purchased hundreds of pounds of plastic.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Joined: 8-16-2001 (actually before that, I joined just before they ditched the old forum)

Reason: The lively micromachine board looked very promising to complete my Trek MicroMachine collection, ended up having fun hanging out there and then wandered into the rest of the forum. Been haunting ever since.

Thresholds: Erm... well, saw the last of Star Wars in theaters, had my appendix removed, I've gone through basically my entire teenage life here from beginning to end 13/14-20 (now), turning 21 this December, I'm hoping to have my GED in a couple months (was homeschooled), met a great friend that really helped me with some holes in my collection and unfortunately lost him (VT). I'm sure theres a little more but it's the only stuff that comes to mind right now.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Time to join this party! I joined in May 1999, but I also have an August 2001 date due to the change-over that the Forums had then.

Thresholds:
    Got my B.S. degree in Social Science and my teaching credential (English, Social Science, Business Adminstration) after student teaching for a semester, then getting a full time position the following school year (where I've been the last 5 years).

Had the worst year of my life in '05 (despite seeing the close of the SW saga; that was one shining moment back then). I choose not to go into details, but it includes the terms telephone calls, accidents, meetings and letters, surgeries, kittens. (I use humor to cope now, but it's a serious deal)

Joined a local acting group, with a small role in Our Town and a part of its improv group.

Was chosen 12 times on sw.com's "Communication Disruption." :ego beheld:

And every day I accumulate adds to my career-high record!
    "That's what Sheev said."

Joined here in May 2002. Bought a house and moved out of my parents' house in November 2003.

Since it seems like I have been here a long time, it is sometimes interesting to note things that happened before I joined, or how other events in my life relate to Star Wars. 9/11 doesn't seem that long ago, but it was before I joined here. I started working at my current place of employment in October 1998. That was before Episode I and before I started collecting.

Let's see, I joined the these particular forums in August 2001 the day they went online, but had been a member of the old forums for a few months before that. I can only estimate between March and July of 2001 being when I first joined the SSG forums. Although, I discovered the site waaaay back in April of 1999, when I was looking for photos of the upcoming Ep1 figures (this was also when I thought the Steve in "SirSteve" referred to Steve Sansweet ).

Soooo...

I got out of the Army after almost 11 years in March of 2002 and shortly after that I became a Christian.

Used my GI Bill to enroll into college in July 2002, declared bankruptcy in August 2002.

Sometime in late 2002, I took notice of a UFC fighter named Matt Hughes and slowly began following the UFC (this will become significant later).

I graduated from college in May 2005 with my Associates in Art & Graphic Design (I actually completed the degree in May 2004, but was forced to repeat a one-credit class in Fall 04 and then had to wait until May 05 for the actual graduation ceremony).

In September of 2005 I made contact with the guy who runs the online store that sells Matt Hughes apparel and I began sending in some Matt Hughes-themed artwork, highlight reels and wallpaper designs, because by this point, I was a die hard Matt Hughes and UFC fan.

December 24th, 2005, I'm notified that they are looking for someone to take over Matt Hughes' official website and I'm their first choice for a replacement. So I begin work on that and publish the new site on January 14th, 2006.

Everything was done over the internet and by phone, so I don't meet Matt Hughes face-to-face for the first time until February 20th, 2006 at a church mission trip to an orphanage in Mexico.

September 14th, 2006, I relocate to Hillsboro, IL from Alamogordo, NM and have been working for Matt Hughes and his twin brother, Mark, ever since.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Got a new one: I cracked the "Highest Knowledge" list on the Facebook Application "Jedi vs. Sith". Yes, it took me a long time.

EDITED: and as per Sal's comments below, I too have been in a long relationship - today (Sept. 9th) is m 12th wedding anniversary!!!
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Cripes, I've actually forgotten how long I've been here on SSG. I know it was at least 2 forum revisions ago and before 2001. I've been a mod here since around 2001.

I've had a couple of different jobs, most notably the one I currently hold.
    Relationship wise, I'm with the same lady I've been with since before I joined SSG and November will mark 10 years for us. No we still aren't married on paper, but everything else wise we are.

I've been a VP for a local SW fanclub then the PR guy for the same group.

I've done several charity events all having a SW theme to them in some form or another. (All for kids charities like Children's Hospital and Locks of Love.)

Bought and sold a truck and bought a new one.

Diagnosed with Asthma and Sleep Apnea-this one really sucks...

Spent more money on SW merch than I care to mention.

Made plenty of friends here and on other SW collecting related websites.

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting, but it's almost 5 a.m. and I'm tired.
    Move along, move along