Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Famous People

Famous People

Who have you known (gone to school with; been acquainted with, etc.) in your life that has gone on to be famous....for better or worse.

Thanks to the Internet, I've been able to "google" people I've lost touch with and always wondered about. I've gotten a couple of suprises in my search. Here's two examples:

T Lewis co-creator of Over the Hedge. We were buds in elementary school. (The dog won't answer my letters! ) Real name is Thomas Leslie Lewis III (aka Tommy Lewis to me).

Dr. Michael Shermer creator of Skeptic Magazine. We went to high school together. Turned into an interesting dude.

There's a couple more names that have gone into publishing, but I barely knew them in high school so, I don't think that counts.

Any one else?
    Last edited by TeeEye7; 09-14-2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Oops! This should be in the General Discussion area. My bad. Con one of the Mods please move it!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Mine has mainly been schoole-related, too.

Carlos Bocanegra is a soccer player for the US National team, and a member of a European team (or is it MLS? I forget). He made the cut for the high school soccer team; I did not.

Rodney Lee, while not "famous," he caught a key third-down falling-out-of-bounds pass in a UCLA-USC football game that won it for the Bruins. He and I were in ASB (student government) together; fun, cool guy.

Matthew Atherton, aka Feedback of the Who Wants to Be a Superhero? TV show. While I've never spoken to him, since he lives in my hometown somewhere (wonder if it's that Fortress of Solitude up on Hero Hill Road? ), I'll just add him to this list.

I had two of the three authors of a college history textbook as my professors; oddly enough, that was the assigned text for those classes...

While student teaching, a student in one of my classes was a highly recruited offensive lineman (was huge, 6'5" and easily over 300 lbs. ) who was writing a journal (we'd call them blogs today in the Internet age ) for the local newspaper of his recruiting experience. I heard he had some knee problems and didn't play too much. His brother, who'd graduated earlier from the same high school, went on to play D-1 NCAA basketball (don't know where he's now).

My high school got trashed by Tracy Murray's school in basketball, the player who went to UCLA and multiple NBA teams. Saw him at a game once: another huge guy (I remember that his shoes made him look like Frankenstein).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Sports! Didn't think of it.

Robert Swift (of the Seattle Super Sonics) and his family lived across the street from our first little "starter" house when he was a little kid (yeah, he was only about 6 feet tall in fourth grade!). My wife would later teach his little sister in her third grade class.

Not a household name here, but I went to high school with Brian Goorjian, who played in and is the most successful coach in the history of Australia's equivalent of the NBA. Brian was a big deal in high school as was his dad Ed Goorjian as a coach in high school ranks in the LA area.

http://www.viewnews.com/2006/VIEW-Fe...n/5885176.html

The whole family is basketball crazy.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

A few famous people have last names that are part of my family so its slightly possible I'm related to them. One of which I'm not too thrilled about if I ever find out I'm related to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I had two of the three authors of a college history textbook as my professors; oddly enough, that was the assigned text for those classes...
    I've met several famous people in my relatively young life, but in all honesty I don't believe I have ever known anyone famous (as of yet) in the "gone to school with/been personally acquainted with" sense you are suggesting short of also listing my own former college professors with published books. Still, they are no where near the status of what I would consider a "famous author."
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    Still, they are no where near the status of what I would consider a "famous author."
    Several of my colleagues at school have been published, some multiple times, but they are "locally" famous rather than, uh, un-locally?

Others...
    I was insulted by former UCLA (I'm sensing a pattern here) and current NFL defensive lineman Kenyon Coleman when I told him he and his friends couldn't play on the basketball court where my youth league team had a scheduled practice. Ooh, scary.

I thought I had a college class with Royals player Mike Sweeney, but later realized the time period was wrong; just someone who must've looked like him and just happened to wear a KC cap.

Current long jump record holder Mike Powell used to train at the JC I attended, and I think I've seen him around town a few times, too. Dude is tall.

My great uncle holds (or held) the world record for most holes-in-one on the same hole of a golf course (can't recall the number; I want to say it's 8).

I know some of the members of the bands Understated and Trak 13.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by James31278 View Post
    A few famous people have last names that are part of my family so its slightly possible I'm related to them. One of which I'm not too thrilled about if I ever find out I'm related to her.
    Hilary Clinton ?

The only famous people I have met are the band LIVE. I hung out with them at an after party or two.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Then you have met me, KH, because I am secretly Ed Kowal... Kowzal... Kochawl... however the hell I spell my name!

Tommy, close your eyes.

My closest claim to fame is that the current Miss Teen USA went to my high school last year. Whoop de doo.

I think my family used to go to church with the singer from Steppenwolf before I was born, so there's that.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram