Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Snow Walkers and the Ground Assault

I've been trying to figure out why the Empire would send in AT-ATs to destroy the power generators when they could've just flown a few TIE Bombers in to do the job quickly. The AT ATs are landed some distance from the target (why?) and have to walk over to the base which wastes time and troops.

All I can figure is that Vader wanted a ground assault so that he could capture Luke. We can assume that he learned about Luke's existence and his last name in between ANH and ESB.

With that in mind, Vader already has interest in finding Luke...the question is why and for what? It isn't until later that he hears from Palpatine who also suddenly wants Luke captured. It's as if Palpatine didn't "sense" the son of Skywalker and the danger he posed until sometime after the Hoth incident. But Vader clearly had designs on his son before Palps ever realized the danger.

So, is that why Vader wanted a ground assault instead of just leveling the Rebel Base?

Makes sense- Hell, I'd figure a few star destroyers could have done an aerial bombardment if wiping the place out was the idea, no need for small bombers.

I do believe that Vader was already seeking Luke to offer him the "join me" option, since he was probably kind of aware that Palps also was onto the fact that Luke existed- Vader was pretty quick to play the "Maybe we could NOT kill him" card when the subject got broached after all
    Iso & Baws
    Besides, if Vader asks you to prepare a ground assault, you prepare a ground assault and don't bother pointing out that it'd be a huge waste- I doubt the rank-and-file would have much of an idea of the over-arching stuff going on
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Those generators were powering the shields?
    The Star Destroyers were vulnerable to the Ion Cannon?
    Smaller landing craft could punch through the shields (like the Rebel Transport) and land in an area not covered by the Ion Cannon?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Those generators were powering the shields?
    yes

The Star Destroyers were vulnerable to the Ion Cannon?
    Yes, but...

Smaller landing craft could punch through the shields (like the Rebel Transport) and land in an area not covered by the Ion Cannon?
    ...that's what I was getting at. First, we should assume that the Star Destroyers had shields, but Ozzel did not use them for some reason, even though he thought "surprise was wiser." Odd that.

Anyway, the Destroyers pull in to orbit but can't directly fire at the base because of the shield surrounding the (entire?) planet...at least the airspace above the base.

So the Empire lands some craft some distance from the base and the AT ATs lumber toward the target in hopes of blowing up the generators which power the shields. Ok, no problem there... except,

...why not just have TIE Bombers fly in to the same place the AT ATs did, then fly quickly to the target (generators) and quickly bombard them. Doing so would have enabled Vader's ship to land sooner and presumably, give the Rebels less time to escape, and presumably, give Vader a better chance at capturing Luke. But landing AT ATs instead of flying TIE Bombers gave the Rebels and Luke time to get away thus unnecessarily prolonging the battle and letting everyone escape.

But I suppose the AT ATs looked cool.

Maybe Tie Bombers weren't adapted to the cold of Hoth. Maybe they wouldn't fly right or at all.

Didn't the rebels state at some point that the Snowspeeders were adapted.

The other idea is that level of arrogance the Empire had at that point. They seemed less concerned with losses and just through the ground assault units together. Plus the fact that the sound of the approaching AT ATs would scare the Rebels (intimidation factor).

Then again, after the pasting the Empire took at the Death Star, and knowing the skill of the rebel pilots, maybe they decided the TIE bombers were too vulnerable.
    By sending in the Tanks so to speak which doubled as troop transport, the Empire covered the necessary tactical problem of taking out the Generators in armoured At-At's and unloading the troops for invasion and securing hostages.
    Besides, Vader probably knew Veers was a very competent General and would get the job done.

Man, I would like to see Veers in action again, somehow. Maybe as a young up-and-coming officer in Clone Wars.

vader wanted luke because he was his son, and hoped that if he could turn luke to the darkside then vader would kill the emporer and rule the galaxy.

We've never seen a TIE Fighter or any variant thereof fly in an atmosphere, and have no reason to believe it's even possible for them to do so.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    We've never seen a TIE Fighter or any variant thereof fly in an atmosphere, and have no reason to believe it's even possible for them to do so.
    Yes we have. TIE's in pursuit of the Falcon at the end of ESB under Cloud City.