Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"No ship that small has a cloaking device."

Officer
    The ship no longer appears on our scopes.

Captain Needa
    No ship that small has a cloaking device.

So, we are to assume that A) the Star Wars galaxy has Star Trek-esque cloaking devices and B) that the device is large so small ships can't install them.

C) Star Destroyers are immense, so we should be able to assume that they CAN have cloaking devices. With that in mind, why wouldn't Ozzel use the cloaking devices to hide the Star Destroyers as they come out of Hyperspace near Hoth?

They're expensive, and the Emperor doesn't want to spring the cash?

The Empire likes to strike fear by having a visible presence?

Both seem to be consistent with what we know about the Empire.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Maul's ship was smaller than the Falcon and it had one.

I never thought it meant an visual invisibility cloak. I figured it was a stealth like radar invisibility since it didn't appear on any tracking devices.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    They're expensive, and the Emperor doesn't want to spring the cash?
    The dude built TWO Death Stars and X number of massive Star Destroyers. I get the feeling that money wasn't really a concern of his.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    The Empire likes to strike fear by having a visible presence?
    Well, that's true, but striking fear wasn't the purpose of the attack on Hoth. Vader wanted to capture Luke, not play ego games with the Rebellion. So if they had cloaking abilities, why wouldn't they sneak up on the system and send "Shadow Troops" in to surprise the Rebels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    I never thought it meant an visual invisibility cloak. I figured it was a stealth like radar invisibility since it didn't appear on any tracking devices.
    Ok, but the same question holds. And since you brought it up, there is no indication that the Rebels on Hoth had sentry ships out "watching" for invaders. Visual invisibility or not, the Rebels detected the Imperial ships so therefore the Star Destroyers did not have or did not use cloaking devices. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Ok, but the same question holds. And since you brought it up, there is no indication that the Rebels on Hoth had sentry ships out "watching" for invaders. Visual invisibility or not, the Rebels detected the Imperial ships so therefore the Star Destroyers did not have or did not use cloaking devices. Why?
    I assume the original intent was to sit back out of sensor range and surprise them, but Ozzel (or whomever) screwed it up by coming out of Hyperspace too close which alerted the Rebels and gave them time to scramble.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

The dude built TWO Death Stars and X number of massive Star Destroyers. I get the feeling that money wasn't really a concern of his.
    While it's true he did put up the money, keep in mind that this incredibly massive space station could be taken out by one proton torpedo.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Didnt you watch Robot Chicken? He had to get a loan to build this stuff.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Please don't shoot me but going by the *shudder* EU cloaking crystals are so rare that they don't waste them on smaller ships like the Falcon. They save them for larger ships like Star Destoryers where the crystals are more useful.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!