Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Arguably the Best....Lets discuss

So, the best albums of all time. many say they are arguably the best. Here they are:

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Wildflowers - Tom Petty
    Pearl Jam - Ten

These are the ones I hear most brought up in discussion.

Pink Floyd - Yes, 2 entries in the group. Dark Side of The Moon stayed on the top 200 list forever. Part of it had to do with people rebuying it on cassette, and Cd after vinyl.

The Wall - Hell, you heard it, great tracks laid out, great story telling. Journey into Roger Waters mind and see what makes him tick.

Pet Sounds - Wow, amazing album. Tracks include Sloop John B, God only Knows, Wouldnt it be nice and many others. Drove Brian Wilson mad trying to reproduce this album.

Sgt Peppers - Changed the face of Rock music as we know, and the Beatles did it for the 2nd time. Tracks include: When I'm 64, Sgt Peppers, A day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky. Beginning to end fantastic music.

Led Zeppelin IV - When the Levee breaks, somethings got to give and give it did. Zep's best album(IMO). Going to California, Stairway to Heaven, Battle of Evermore.

Pearl Jam - Groundbreaking album. Launched Grunge onto the scene in the early 90's. Evenflow, Jeremy, Oceans, Alive. A generation of musicians follwed them and still do.

Tom Petty - An odd one here, but tis album just plain old kicks ***. Wildflowers, You dont know how it feels, Its good to be king, Honey Bee. Deny this alum and you could be denying your passage to Heaven.

So, whats your opinion. Which of these alums is the best ever and why? I say you cant pick just one. I know I cant.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Totally agree on Pet Sounds, IV, The Wall, and Dark Side of the Moon.

I prefer Abbey Road to Sgt Pepper personally.

As much as I love Wildflowers, I think Full Moon Fever is a little better.

I'd add American Recordings (Johnny Cash); Achtung Baby (U2); Get Behind Me Satan (White Stripes); Superunknown (Soundgarden); Get Your Wings (Aerosmith); Electric Ladyland (Jimi); Kristofferson (duh); and, perhaps a dark horse contender, Bigger Better Faster More (4 Non Blondes), which is amazingly underrated.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Achtung Baby over Joshua Tree? I'd definitely have to put U2's Joshua Tree in the running. But the reality is that it's way too subjective (Rolling Stone named Sgt. Pepper's the #1, which I'd definitely disagree with).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Donald F@gen - The Nightfly (stupid filter won't let me write his name properly)

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Joshua Tree was more successful, but I find Achtung Baby to be more consistent, and the quality of the better songs is, well, better. "One" definitely trumps "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Donald F@gen - The Nightfly (stupid filter won't let me write his name properly)
    It's not because of the potential derogatory slang, it's because the auto-censor hates Steely Dan.

Well, they were named after a sex toy from The Naked Lunch, and their erudite jazz-rock consistently argues in favor of having sex with much younger women who may on occasion be your cousin. The autocensor can't censor the awesomeness of Steely Dan, so it must censor one of its members. It has a crush on Mr Becker and wouldn't censor him, ever.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    Pearl Jam - Launched Grunge onto the scene in the early 90's.
    Ever heard of Nirvana's Nevermind?
    As for PJ, I liked Vitalogy better.

As for one of my picks:
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    It's not because of the potential derogatory slang, it's because the auto-censor hates Steely Dan.

There is no auto-censor. All inquiries go straight to Chuck Norris and he decides what is acceptable.

Oddly enough, I just got Pet Sounds this past week. For some reason I thought it was created much later than 1966... I guess "God Only Knows" (my reason for buying the album - I've always loved this song and was excited about hearing what else Brian Wilson had created around this same time) is something I would have expected from an older Brian Wilson. Although it's still very Beach Boys sounding (which, to be honest, I was surprised about - I can take or leave them on any given day), I do like the record.

Apparently, Pet Sounds was heavily influenced by Rubber Soul - and was a big influence on the Beatles as they created Sgt. Pepper. Who knew?
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008