Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I read that Death Star Book

I just read that Death Star book and man is it awesome. It was well worth the wait...
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.

Do they explain how they had the 2nd one ready to go so quickly in ROTJ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Do they explain how they had the 2nd one ready to go so quickly in ROTJ ?
    They got an early version of the script.

Am waiting on my library to get their copy in. Am looking forward to this one, as the recent post-Zahn era EU has been 'ugh' lately.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Glad to hear it was good. I bought it yesterday if only because I collect SW books. I do read them, but I'm on another trip through the chronology and back on Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I might divert and read something new instead, but I am constantly feeling like the ping-pong ball going between what I am reading, and my non-Star Wars that I am writing.

I am almost done with my own project and then I might give myself time away from writing to just be a READER for a while. Then maybe I'll get to this stuff.

I did have the thought that maybe the hardcover (and I usually buy all SW hardcovers) was a waste of money and I should start waiting for the paperbacks on all these books now, considering how long it is taking me to get to them.

I own all the Dark Nest and Legacy (up to date) in hardcover when it was available, and the paperbacks if otherwise, but I've never read any of them.

I know the plot from reading spoilers though. That's just become my style.

Maybe someone will post some spoilers about the DS book that could entice me to read it?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm about 50 pages in, so I'm not reading any replies in this thread yet, but I found it interesting that the chapter preview I read in some book (the post-ROTS Vader novel in paperback, perhaps?) has yet to appear in the story (usually those show up as one of the first chapters). So far, it's okay, but it's too early to tell.

Yea, I'm about 70 pages in, I'm kinda liking it....feel like it's weird with all the substories with different characters and what not.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Just finished it myself....no major spoilers here, just some thoughts and observations...

I liked it...it's a nice break from the sturm-n-drang of the LOTF series.

It's an "everyman" approach, following a handful of characters as they all end up at the Death Star for various reasons. Those looking for an in-depth look at the politics behind the DS or a bolt-by-bolt description of the construction are going to be very disappointed because despite the book's name, the Death Star is just a location in all the "personal" stories strung together. Very little new information is really revealed about the station itself. It reminded me of those "Tales of..." books from a few years back.

It's a slow starter...introducing all the characters and getting them where they need to go takes some time, but once the book gets to the "Shakedown" part, it takes off and goes at a good page-turning clip until the end.

Fans of Reeve's and Perry's other SW works will appreciate the addition of a character from their CW-era "MedStar" books. Other "canon" characters get some moments, mostly just looking at some events of ANH from their point of view (Motti, for example). There are several characters who appear in the film that get some light shown on their situations...one of the more successfully realized ones is the "trigger man"...the officer who runs the big gun. Some moments with Tarkin are a liittle odd...seeing his "tender" side with a female admiral was just plain creepy. But the character who really gets some good moments is Vader. He comes across as the badass he should and it makes a good read. His first meeting with Leia is terrific and one of the few spinetingling moments in the book, as is his long-awaited encounter with Obi-Wan. One moment with the Dark Lord does seem a little (pardon the pun) forced towards the end of the book, but it doesn't detract too much.

The last part of the story recounts events from ANH almost a little too closely to the point of almost being distracting, but it works...those events that everyone has seared into their collective consciousness are presented from a different perspective and it makes one realize that not all the inhabitants of that mighty station were loyal soldiers of the Empire.

Was this story neccessary? Not really, but it makes a decent enough read.
    Here's hoping that some other stories about that ultimate weapon are told...

I'm a quarter through it (still not reading comments here yet), and it's cool, because there's no true surprises, as we all know what happens to the DS. Although, it'll be interesting it the book goes up to the Battle of Yavin or prior to it. I liked some of the architectural [sp?] comments, as well as the musings about who/what Vader is from the Imperials/non-comm workers. Nice EU interconnections (MedStar dualogy mainly). Is the droid C-4ME-O's name supposed to look like CAMEO?