Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

California Wildfires

I just looked out the window, walked outside and smelled the faint smoke in the air, and thought we need a thread about this.

It won't really be my thread. The fires ARE in San Diego, but I cannot see them from where I live and my area seems relatively safe (central San Diego - a very suburban environment, with not too much open-space except on hillsides opposite the freeway and along the river banks).

But I want other Californians or concerned countrymen to have a place to post their experiences with the fires.

I have friends being evacuated right now and hurrying to rescue their animals (horses included along with cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.) And I may be boarding at least one friend or more until it is safe for her to return to her area.

One of my Star Wars buddies reported being able to see the hillside ablaze not very far from where he lives. Another SW buddy we have not heard from at all. (Update: he's on standbye evacuation - I was just told while I was typing this).

So if you have anything further that you want to contribute regarding the fires, now we have a thread for it.

I wish my fellow Californians all my best, hope for their safety, and good luck regarding the protection of their pets and property. We'll get through this like we did with the fires in 2004.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Not affected here yet, though my sister-in-law was evacuated this morning. The problem we've got around this area is the wind. It's been averaging 40-50 mph with gusts up to 85 mph. That's been going on for two days and, though it's slowed down a bit now (to only slightly above a "normal" windy day), it could continue through Wednesday morning. The dirt around the door is about three inches thick, and it's been coming in the closed windows so badly that I've had to vacuum around them twice a day. I've had all the ground cover stripped from the garden, trash cans knocked over, grill flipped, etc, but it looks like some people in the area are much worse so far (with trees broken, three foot deep mounds of dirt in the yards, etc.)

Like I said, no fire here at the moment. Of course, last year, the Esperanza fire came within about three miles of here.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm in the SF Valley so no immediate danger. We can always see the smoke in the distance either coming from Malibu or from the Northridge area... or out of the East from the Pasadena area. Lots of wind around here though. And damn hot too. What happened to Fall?

On Sunday, I went to West LA to visit my family, and from about 6 miles inland we could see a large cloud of brown smoke blowing south but JUST over the coast, not coming inland, it looked pretty bizarre.

A few mins ago, the sunlight turned more orange, that generally means the air is filling heavily with smoke & ash, since the sun's to the south I'm guessing that is from the San Diego fires which look MUCH worse than ours here in the LA area - half a million evacuees is shocking to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    I'm in the SF Valley so no immediate danger. We can always see the smoke in the distance either coming from Malibu or from the Northridge area... or out of the East from the Pasadena area. Lots of wind around here though. And damn hot too. What happened to Fall?
    There's no fire in the Pasadena area that I know of, there's fires in Malibu and a couple north of the valley. If you know diff, please LMK, I head east a lot.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

What's especially frightening and concerning about the SD fires is that a few whole cities have been ordered to evacuate. Hearing that Fallbrook and Ramona were totally evacuated is more than a little sobering.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I talked to my buddy who is stationed at Pendleton and he mentioned how they were told not to come into work today and to plan on being evacuated as they were one of the few remaining areas that had people. He said he has no idea where they would go as there are fires all around them and he jokingly said they'd just ship them out to sea.

take care, you kids!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    There's no fire in the Pasadena area that I know of, there's fires in Malibu and a couple north of the valley. If you know diff, please LMK, I head east a lot.
    No smoke from the east yet. I just got back from running some errands and the wind has shifted, bringing the Malibu smoke over the Valley. Can really smell it now too.

I still can't see any smoke from Arrowhead, despite being relatively close. Maybe it's because this damned wind is blowing it away?

Speaking of wind, I was able to survey the yard a little while ago. (Meaning look more closely, not actually do precise measurements and such. ) I couldn't tell from inside, but it's like it snowed about two inches, only it's dirt. I'm not comparing this to losing my house in the fires, but it's still going to be an inconvenience.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    No smoke from the east yet. I just got back from running some errands and the wind has shifted, bringing the Malibu smoke over the Valley. Can really smell it now too.
    I thought that was the smoke from the north.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

You guys stay safe out there...keep us updated on things.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed