Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

California Wildfires

I just looked out the window, walked outside and smelled the faint smoke in the air, and thought we need a thread about this.

It won't really be my thread. The fires ARE in San Diego, but I cannot see them from where I live and my area seems relatively safe (central San Diego - a very suburban environment, with not too much open-space except on hillsides opposite the freeway and along the river banks).

But I want other Californians or concerned countrymen to have a place to post their experiences with the fires.

I have friends being evacuated right now and hurrying to rescue their animals (horses included along with cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.) And I may be boarding at least one friend or more until it is safe for her to return to her area.

One of my Star Wars buddies reported being able to see the hillside ablaze not very far from where he lives. Another SW buddy we have not heard from at all. (Update: he's on standbye evacuation - I was just told while I was typing this).

So if you have anything further that you want to contribute regarding the fires, now we have a thread for it.

I wish my fellow Californians all my best, hope for their safety, and good luck regarding the protection of their pets and property. We'll get through this like we did with the fires in 2004.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Not affected here yet, though my sister-in-law was evacuated this morning. The problem we've got around this area is the wind. It's been averaging 40-50 mph with gusts up to 85 mph. That's been going on for two days and, though it's slowed down a bit now (to only slightly above a "normal" windy day), it could continue through Wednesday morning. The dirt around the door is about three inches thick, and it's been coming in the closed windows so badly that I've had to vacuum around them twice a day. I've had all the ground cover stripped from the garden, trash cans knocked over, grill flipped, etc, but it looks like some people in the area are much worse so far (with trees broken, three foot deep mounds of dirt in the yards, etc.)

Like I said, no fire here at the moment. Of course, last year, the Esperanza fire came within about three miles of here.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm in the SF Valley so no immediate danger. We can always see the smoke in the distance either coming from Malibu or from the Northridge area... or out of the East from the Pasadena area. Lots of wind around here though. And damn hot too. What happened to Fall?

You guys stay safe out there...keep us updated on things.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I live right down the street (about 4 blocks walking distance) from Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers). It's been lit up and set up as a refugee relief center and families are being relocated there now.

It's strange because to drive around that area there is not much traffic at all and it doesn't seem like there's a state of disaster going on.

A public announcement was just made that ALL San Diego schools would be closed tomorrow - countywide.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I heard on espn radio that Ladainian Tomlinson had to evacuate his home due to the fire.

In a situation like this, money and fame mean nothing.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I live right down the street (about 4 blocks walking distance) from Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers). It's been lit up and set up as a refugee relief center and families are being relocated there now.
    I would bet that my brother-in-law's in-laws are there. They live in the north part of the county and had to evacuate yesterday.

Ah, California life! If we're not getting rattled by earthquakes, we're getting fried by wild fires. Hence my "Shake N Bake" reference in my profile.

I'm further north, but was affected by the Zaca Fire that burned in the Santa Barbara area from July 4th until the first week of September this year (as the crow files, I'm about 90 miles east of Santa Barbara). For weeks we'd have partial sun due to the smoke layers, and almost everyday everything would be covered in a fine ash. A local weather guy showed a satellite image of the smoke layers that reached all the way to western New York state from the Zaca fire.

My wife is a Woodland Hills /(LA) girl (like, oh, my God! A valley girl!!) and she's been glued to good ol' Channel 9. We've got a lot of family in the area. We very much sympathize with what's going on. We also know what's going to happen when the rains come this winter, too.

We're thinking of you all! Be careful!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

With as bad as these fires are getting I hope all of our Cali friends here will remain safe. I cannot even imagine what some people are going through there. Just remain safe guys!
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Ah, California life! If we're not getting rattled by earthquakes, we're getting fried by wild fires. Hence my "Shake N Bake" reference in my profile.

My wife is a Woodland Hills /(LA) girl (like, oh, my God! A valley girl!!) and she's been glued to good ol' Channel 9. We've got a lot of family in the area. We very much sympathize with what's going on. We also know what's going to happen when the rains come this winter, too.

We're thinking of you all! Be careful!
    I am in the western Inland Empire area, so we get those wide-open wicked winds, too. The school where I teach is near the foothills, so it's like a Weird Al album: Polka Party. No, wait: Even Worse. The fires aren't as bad as the winds at this point; a heavy storage bin was slammed into the tennis court fence and dented it badly; by the end of the school day, the fences were downed. Thankfully, not much other damage. :fingerscrossed:
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Damnation! I thought the winds were bad here, but I've not seen any storage bins getting blown around.
    Tommy, close your eyes.