Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    I spent some of my earliest years in the La Canada/Flintridge area, my grandfather's ashram is even up there, and it doesn't surprise me to see it burning again, that area goes up all the time - drought begets dry plants, high heat makes it easy to ignite dry plants, dead plants loosen soil, rains come in months later and flood without the plants, lather rinse repeat. However, it's bizarre to see it burning at the same time as parts of the Angeles Forest and the San Bernadino mountains. Yet it's La Canada fire that looks like a big mushroom cloud every day when I go outside, and it's the only one I can see burning from the freeway at night.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My wife just told me that there are evacuations about 35 miles from me in Pearblossom. I am not worried at this point because the brush is a little more sparse here. The fires have come closer than that before (from the other direction) and didn't make it to us. But I guess I better start watching very closely. School has been closed in the Snowline School district due to the unhealthfully smokey air.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

The air is a little smokey here, but nothing like what you're describing, that's awful to hear it's so bad where you are. Hope you guys stay safe and survive all of this unscathed!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The other morning, I thought I was in Pigeon Forge, TN. The smoke had just slowly hung over the tops of the foothills. Yesterday when I got to my classroom, some smoke smell was lingering inside the room. Not good, and the school's pretty far from the major fire spots, too.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

A second fire in Yucaipa this morning. Looks like it may be arson. Unofficial word is they suspect kids trying to get out of school today. It'd really ruin someone's future if they were found guilty of setting a fire that might burn hundreds of homes just to get out of class a mere three weeks into the school year.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The air is a little smokey here, but nothing like what you're describing, that's awful to hear it's so bad where you are. Hope you guys stay safe and survive all of this unscathed!
    Thanks...but I think the smoke will be the biggest problem.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    A second fire in Yucaipa this morning. Looks like it may be arson. Unofficial word is they suspect kids trying to get out of school today. It'd really ruin someone's future if they were found guilty of setting a fire that might burn hundreds of homes just to get out of class a mere three weeks into the school year.
    Use those kids as fire blocks then. Sorry; I know that's evil. But I really hate selfish people who hurt other people brainlessly.

They moved our school's first home football game south about 10 miles. Yeah, that'll be MUCH better air further down in the Inland Valley...

To: California wildfires
    Re: Smoke

It has recently come to my attention that the "haze" blocking my view of the Rocky Mountains for the past 48 hours is actually your smoke.

If you would, please return this view to normal in due time. Thank you.

Also, the sun and moon are reddish. If we lived 2,000 years ago someone would've been sacrificed for it by now. Again, you might wanna get on fixing this.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Yup, we are getting that smoke out here in the lower Rockies now.

They're using DC-10 jets and giant flying boats to put out some fires. You guys seen these or are they more out in the rural areas?

Seems to me if one crashed there would be a huge fire.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ed_1251750707
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

There was blue sky this morning! And only a light haze for most of the rest of the day. I heard only 51% containment so far.