Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sean the Hutt

What would you start over with?

I live in San Diego...I had to walk away last night when the fires hit...surprisingly I took no star wars at all! I thought I should grab the vintage sand crawler at least, but it would only be a painful reminder of my lost collection....while evacuated I told myself, "if the collection is gone, I will quit collecting".I had no problems with it. I'm in my house now...collection ok, though I am still in an evac zone...so who knows!
    I guess I could have had The best crispy collection around...crispy greedo? no problem, crispy owen and beru? right over here! crispy jawas? oh yes I have many!
    c-ya

Wow, that's crazy Sean! At least you're ok. Is the collection insured?

I know another San Diegan collector who went through what you just mentioned, he also didn't take any of his SW but I suspect unlike you, if it had gotten burned up he would have kept collecting because he has that "gotta catch 'em all" thing going.

I must admit, if my collection were to disappear for whatever reason, I'd probably stop collecting for the most part even if I got an insurance settlement. I bet 6 months later though I'd buy some key figures that were easy to find and that'd get me going again, but I'd be WAY more selective about rebuying.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I must admit, if my collection were to disappear for whatever reason, I'd probably stop collecting for the most part even if I got an insurance settlement. I bet 6 months later though I'd buy some key figures that were easy to find and that'd get me going again, but I'd be WAY more selective about rebuying.
    Yes, I suppose that would be my approach if I had to start over. With so many repacks, repaints and resculpts, I could pick and choose which ones to get. I probably wouldn't bother replacing most of the POTF2 ones. I wouldn't need to replace every Vader and Tatooine Luke.

Sean the Hutt
    yea after further thought i would have to replace the ships at least....cantina stuff too!
    star wars original trilogy stuff only though

This should be its own thread, but if my collection was destroyed I would probably ONLY rebuy figures from the cantina and Jabba's palace. I would not rebuy the vintage figures or anything from the prequels.

Yeah, this did seem like a good idea for its own thread, so I split 'em off into their own thing. (This thread is an offshoot of "Could you walk away from this line tomorrow?")

Here's my list of what I'd start over with if I had to:
    SL Boba Fett
    TAC Luke Jedi (not that it's my favorite version, but it'll do)
    TSC Endor 3PO which is still findable
    SL Boushh
    TSC Hoth R2 (hard to find, but I like the mold and the paint weathering)
    SL electronic R2
    2-5 TAC Stormtroopers
    SL orange-pauldron Sandtrooper
    TAC Capture of Tantive IV battlepack
    TAC Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter (not totally sure on this, but I do want vehicles for my guys)
    TAC V-wing
    Comics 2pack Mara/Luke
    TAC Vader w/ obi-robe (not the greatest, but it'll do) *
    2-3 SL Biker Scouts
    Dagobah X-wing
    VTAC Bossk
    VTAC IG-88
    VTAC Luke Bespin
    * ANH Commemorative Tin (I just realized it has the same Vader plus an ok Leia, a clean Sandtrooper that can double as a Stormtrooper, and a crappy 3PO)

That's all I can think of that's on shelves that I'd start over with, but it's a bigger list than I expected.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If I lost everything, I'd be done. It would take too much to replace it. Even the vintage stuff, if replaced, wouldn't have the same meaning as the items I got as a kid.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I agree with Chux on the Vintage stuff. I have unted and pecked at stuff to buy, but most of mine is from my childhood and rebuying it wouldnt have the same appeal.

I wouldn't want tobe done completely. I would have to get Endor(love biker scouts and ewoks) stuff. I would get some figures, probably one of each main character and some Cantina and Jabbas Palace.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I've thought about this a few times, I think that if it happened I would still collect. However, if I got any money from it I would probably just collect higher-priced items like replicas and statues instead of figures. It would result in a much smaller collection, but it'd be much easier to protect and if I wanted to get rid of them then I'd be more likely to get back what I paid, or more.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I just was just asked this question yesterday by my girlfriend. We live in Chula Vista a few miles from the Mexico boarder, and yesterday morning they annouced voluntary evacuations a block from my house (a bit premature IMO.)

Just to be safe the only extra things I packed was my half of my guitar collection (I only had enough cases for half and was hoping to make a second trip if I could.) To my surprise I didn't pack any SW item, but I had some big plastic tubs to dump what I could if we had to get out in a hurry.

I made the choice there if I lost everything I wouldn't want to replace it. It took to many years and a lot of money and I couldn't do that again. Thank God we didn't have to evacuate, so I was back in full force this morning on the way to work