Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Yoda figures all kinda suck!

There, I've said it. I feel better now.

Recently, we were discussing what we'd start over with if something happened to our collections, and I realized my list had no Yoda on it despite there being several of the little green imp out there on pegs in recent memory, and I was totally fine with that.

It's not that I dislike the diminutive Jedi master, he's one of the most interesting characters of the OT, but all the versions we've gotten of him have been pretty underwhelming. Either the likeness is off or the scale is off or the articulation is wonky, but it's always something.

Maybe the problem is that the character's defined so much by his facial expressions that a plastic figure just can't really match that. Or maybe Yoda just isn't much of an action figure anyway, maybe the character is too ethereal to work as a toy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I liked the OTC Dagobah Yoda, but mainly when he's plugged into the backpack of the OTC Dagobah Luke.

But if you want the perfect Yoda, then just take the VOTC figure and stick the OTC Dagobah head on it. It makes all the difference in the world. The VOTC version had a great body and an excellent use of soft-goods, but the face was too goofy looking (probably trying too hard to mimic the "smiling" face of the vintage Yoda). The more stern and thoughtful expression of the OTC Yoda works so much better.

I do agree that every "action" Yoda has been pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Or maybe Yoda just isn't much of an action figure anyway, maybe the character is too ethereal to work as a toy.
    You've probably nailed it right there.

I can't think back on ALL of the various Yodas that I've bought right now, but no, none of them scream out as being awesome figures. Even with the vintage Yoda when it first came out, I only picked it up because it was Yoda.

Probably why we'll always get a Yoda figure with some other item included to jazz the package up a bit. Be nice to get the VOTC version -- which wasn't bad -- with some more "stuff" from his hut. Heck, it'd be nice to get a modern Yoda playset I suppose.

I think that many of them have been good, but none have really been great. The same can be said about many characters in the line, really.

The POTF2 Yoda probably had the best facial likeness. But since then they've had to scale him down in line with other figures so that head is a bit too big now - and because of the scaling down the details have had to become more minute and the paintjob is rarely as dead-on as you'd like.

My vote for best Yoda goes to OTC although I wish he was a bit more hunched over.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I liked the OTC Dagobah Yoda, but mainly when he's plugged into the backpack of the OTC Dagobah Luke.
    I was absolutely intending to mention that one as my favorite Yoda, he's why I referred to limited articulation. He's also got a slightly creepiness to his eyes, but he's still my choice of closest to good.

But if you want the perfect Yoda, then just take the VOTC figure and stick the OTC Dagobah head on it. It makes all the difference in the world. The VOTC version had a great body and an excellent use of soft-goods, but the face was too goofy looking (probably trying too hard to mimic the "smiling" face of the vintage Yoda). The more stern and thoughtful expression of the OTC Yoda works so much better.
    The VOTC body IMO is too thin and too lost in that blanket he calls a robe. Plus, he's out of scale, like maybe 25% - so is the OTC version I suppose.

I do agree that every "action" Yoda has been pretty awful.
    The Michael Jackson is the worst, but why they keep releasing the one with the cannon is beyond me, who wants that thing?!?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I like the VOTC Yoda alot, (Which if im not mistaken is the one that came in the tin collection) Which is also a cool figure. Though the Kybuck yoda has to be my personal favorite, he's just cool sitting on the Kybuck, and he has decent articulation. Of course im not to picky when it comes to Yoda, one of personal favorite SW characters next to Fett and Kun.

Another vote for "correct but OTC Yoday is damn sweet"

AOTC Yoda is weird and goofy, TPM Yoda is just plain WRONG, and the others were not quite right either

I kinda wanted the VOTC one but I was SO satisfied with the almost NO articulation OTC one that I decided against it.
    Iso & Baws

I like to put OTC Yoda in my swamp with my Carnivorous plants sometimes
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Do I say, "Oh yeah? You suck!"?

Or do I pretend to be mature?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinscia Fat'o View Post
    I like the VOTC Yoda alot, (Which if im not mistaken is the one that came in the tin collection) Which is also a cool figure. Though the Kybuck yoda has to be my personal favorite, he's just cool sitting on the Kybuck, and he has decent articulation. Of course im not to picky when it comes to Yoda, one of personal favorite SW characters next to Fett and Kun.
    I would have liked the Kybuck Yoda better if they put a peg hole on his butt so he could sit on it instead of standing.

I prefer the VOTC Yoda over the rest.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten