Intenionally conservative displayed collections?

Hey, this didnt seem to fit in anywhere else. Does anyone have a philosophy towards consaervatively displaying small parts of a collection?

I have so much stuff that it is too distracting and I cant get anything done in my office. Im thinking about changing to a couple one foot square display areas and just rotationg the scene every now and then. Does anyone else function like this?

I've gone this route in my house. In my apartment I had everything on display and it took up a LOT of room. The move required me to pack everything up and rethink how I would display them again. My SW stuff hasn't made it into a formal display area as I'm still planning the method to show them but I do know that it will be a small area where I show off my favorites of the bunch. I've done the same with art and haven't hung everything and end up rotating a few pieces in certain areas. I rather like it as it keeps the environment fresh since it looks different every few months or years.

It helps though if you have a static number of items you want to display. My 12" collection of SW figures is complete as far as I'm concerned so I know what I'll be displaying. It would be a lot tougher if I was still in the process of adding to it and found myself with a few new figures each month that I would like to display. As I see it now I've displayed everyone of my actions figures already in my apartment so I don't feel too bad keeping most of it in boxes.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I'm horrible about this....I prefer loose figures to boxed and I've displayed about 100+ in a three shelved make-shift curio/stereo cabinet.

I find myself neurotically changing stuff all the time...the probelm is I live in a very dusty part of the world....dirt and dust is our major export! So my display collects too much dust because I never keep the glass closed.

I have a shelf of troopers from AOTC to ROTJ (not a legion but about 3 of every kind, snow, biker, etc.) The middle shelf is OT with mostly Jabba figs and the heroes. The bottom shelf is NT with mostly the heroes....I tend to shy away from the obscure figures (although I love them).

Ideally some day I'll have a better way to display the figs and add other knick knacks like vehicles, creatures, etc.

I gave my daughter all my doubles (about 20 figs) and I keep about half a dozen at my office at work.....
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

I have eight glass shelves, split into two sections of five shelves and three shelves, flanking my desk. The glass shelving is easily removable for dusting; like QLG, I have issues with dust. Also like QLG, I am always moving the displays around, changing them up, adding to or taking away as the fit takes me. I use as a background for the shelf displays my small collection of carded figures in Star Cases; some "true" Vintage, but mostly OTC, neo-Vintage, and Concept.

I really feel that with displaying loose 3 3/4" figures, less is more; and each shelf should have its own theme, if possible, even if that's obvious to no one but yourself. My own shelves are fairly narrow, so they limit the number of figures I can display (the Star Cased figures behind them also take up some of that precious shelf space), and severely restricts the display of large ships, vehicles, playsets, and Beasts. But the focus is the figures, anyway, so the other stuff is mostly present to accentuate them.

My shelf themes are:

1. "true" Vintage
    2. Rebel Pilots (flanked by an A-Wing and a Y-Wing)
    3. favorite Troopers (3 groupings: Vader & Snowtroopers, Yoda/Kybuck and Elite Corps clones, and my ever-growing legion of AT-AT Drivers)
    4. Rebel Heroes from ANH to ROTJ (generally follows the evolution of Luke Skywalker from left to right, farmboy to Jedi)
    5. Emperor's Arrival (very restricted due to space)
    6. Scum and Villainy (3 groupings: Bounty Hunters, Mos Eisley Cantina, and Sith Lords)
    7. Jundland Wastes/Dune Sea (Jawas, droids; Banthas and Sandpeople)
    8. Rampaging Dewback (my newest shelf: Sandtrooper squad and Dewbacks)

The pictures are poor and not quite up to date, but may give some idea of what I've done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pictures 2007.2 022.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	16235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pictures 2007.2 033.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	16236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pictures 2007.2 023.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	16237  

I have a shelf that I keep stuff on as well as one top of my comp desk. If you check my collection pics in the database and you will see that I have chaned stuff up every so often. I had unleashed stuff, then changed it to GH Figs and then I have some eicles up there. In my room I had Legos and various stuff up there, now it is empty until I decide what I want to put up there. Either Jabbas Palace, Ewok Village or Cantina will go up shortly.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    3. favorite Troopers (3 groupings: Vader & Snowtroopers, Yoda/Kybuck and Elite Corps clones, and my ever-growing legion of AT-AT Drivers)
    Wow, and I thought I was the only person who went OCD when it came to the AT-AT Drivers. My brother thought that I was crazy when I bought six of them when they first came out, but I've bought about 3-4 more since.

I don't have mine displayed as an army, but I bought every single one that I saw on the shelves during the Saga2 days.

If I had seen more than two of the OTC TIE Pilots on the shelves, I probably would have bought more of them too.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Wow, and I thought I was the only person who went OCD when it came to the AT-AT Drivers. My brother thought that I was crazy when I bought six of them when they first came out, but I've bought about 3-4 more since.

I don't have mine displayed as an army, but I bought every single one that I saw on the shelves during the Saga2 days.
    I know! I love those guys. Don't know why, exactly. I had an AT-AT Driver as a kid in the vintage days, but no Stormtrooper; that might have something to do with it. At any rate, I'm up to 21 Saga Drivers, and am always on the lookout for more.