Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coin Collectors: What Figures Would You Have Skipped?

I have to admit that I got roped into buying all 60 basic figures this year by the inclusion of the coins (SUCKER.) So I was just thinking, what figures would I most definitely have skipped this year, were it not for COIN RUSH FEVER. My picks:

01 Darth Vader
    02 Galactic Marine
    03 Mustafar Lava Miner
    04 R2-D2 (Combined with Super Battle Droid)
    05 Obi-Wan Kenobi
    06 Mace Windu
    07 Airborne Trooper
    08 Super Battle Droid (Combined with R2-D2)
    11 Han Solo (Falcon Gunner)
    12 Luke Skywalker (Ceremony)
    16 Darth Vader
    18 Luke Skywalker (with Moisture Vaporator)
    25 Luke Skywalker
    27 Umpass-Stay
    28 Darth Vader (McQuarrie Concept) - w/ 2nd Mask
    30 C-3PO & Salacious Crumb
    38 Han Solo (with Torture Rack)
    39 Lando Calrissian (in Smuggler's Outfit)
    40 General McQuarrie
    46 R2-D2 with Cargo Net
    48 Holographic Darth Vader
    49 Clone Trooper (Episode III – Brown)
    52 Naboo Soldier (Red Gear)
    53 Rebel Vanguard Trooper (BF Video Game)
    54 Pax Bonkik
    55 Clone Trooper (Training Gear)
    56 Padmé Amidala
    59 Destroyer Droid

So, I would if skipped a little under half of this year's offering. Hasbro is CLEVER, playing on my OCD like that. So when you see an ebay auction with these very characters in it next Spring, you'll know who's behind it.

I also would have skipped all of the Legends, except for the Boba (how it really went down is had to get 7, to get each coin.) So that's another 6 figs I could have skipped.

Anyone else get roped in?

regardless of whether Hasbro packed a coin, holo figure, display stand or something else, I would still buy them all. For those who don't like the gimmicks, don't buy, no one is forcing you
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    regardless of whether Hasbro packed a coin, holo figure, display stand or something else, I would still buy them all. For those who don't like the gimmicks, don't buy, no one is forcing you
    My problem is I liked the gimmick better than the toys!

I do have to admit that some of the figures I would have passed on I ended up enjoying.

I have skipped:

Obi-Wan
    Mace
    R2-D2
    SBD
    Luke Jedi
    Luke Ceremony
    Han
    Biggs Pilot
    A ton of legends figures also.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Thankfully every figure at least had something new to offer, so I didn't miss any of the coins. In 2006, I skipped quite a few, but didn't mind not getting the stands. In 2008, it might be the same deal, if they do more repacks in the standard line than just in Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Thankfully every figure at least had something new to offer, so I didn't miss any of the coins.
    Those are my feelings as well. Without the coins, I might have skipped a few, but each one seemed to have something different about it or a cool pack in to make it worth getting. Without the coins, I wouldn't have had to get the coin album, which came with one of my least favorite Vaders.

I wouldn't have skipped any of these figures, this year or any year. The pack ins are just a bonus. The coins are just like the Freeze Frames, I knew I was going to go for a full set, and so far I'm very close.

I love the Legends line, I think I'm up to date with all of them, exept for the third variation of the Pit Droids, I need one to open, and a few others that I haven't seen yet.

I actually have skipped a lot of the figures. I bought the coin album, but I only have 27 coins in it, not even half full and I'm pretty much done with figures that I want this year (except for a couple of the newer McQuarrie figures).

Even of those 27, I could have skipped about half of them and not really felt like I missed anything.

Hmm okay let's see...these are the ones I would have passed:
    01: Darth Vader & 30th Anniversary Coin Album
    04: R2-D2
    05: Obi-Wan Kenobi
    06: Mace Windu
    11: Han Solo (Smuggler)
    12: Luke Skywalker (Yavin Ceremony)
    14: Biggs Darklighter (Rebel Pilot)
    16: Darth Vader (Sith Lord)
    25: Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
    30: C-3PO & Salacious Crumb (Jabba's Servants)
    39: Lando Calrissian (Smuggler Outfit)
    41: 4-LOM (Bounty Hunter)
    46: R2-D2 (with Cargo Net)
    48: Holographic Darth Vader
    59: Destroyer Droid (w/ ˝-Shield)

Hmm, so there is a pretty clear pattern there....mostly CORE characters. I'm just not feeling the need to buy these figures themselves and were it not for the coins, I would have passed on them.
    So Hasbro geets a gold star for a marketing scheme that worked on us ol' collectors. This WILL be the last type of thing like this that I'll get every figure of. After this year, it truly will be about what the character is and not any special promotion.

Hasbro would really have to think of something to make me buy every figure in a line again.

What you ask is that? Oh I dunno say a Star Wars BUILD-A-FIGURE line...

Other than that, stands and coins won't do it.

-Sal
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    This WILL be the last type of thing like this that I'll get every figure of. After this year, it truly will be about what the character is and not any special promotion.

Hasbro would really have to think of something to make me buy every figure in a line again.

What you ask is that? Oh I dunno say a Star Wars BUILD-A-FIGURE line...

Other than that, stands and coins won't do it.

-Sal
    Amen brother. I'm pretty much O.T., unique aliens/creatures/droids or super DEFINITIVE sculpts from here on out. I'll bet I buy no more than 10-15 Star Wars figures next year. With no Vintage set and (hopefully) no Concept subset, there's not a lot pulling me in. GI Joe and Indy will get most of my spare change in '08.

Of course, I probably said the same thing last year.

And yeah, a B-A-F would be pretty killer. A Jabba BAF would be a no brianer. What else could they do? Cane Addis would be a good candidate for that. A new Wampa maybe. That might run out of steam with Star Wars, come to think of it.