Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Djas Puhr and how we're doing for Classic Star Wars in 2002

For a while, I've advocated a formula for Hasbro to use on the typical 35 figures per year we get (movie years there are obviously more).

But the First 10 figures required by my formula still seem to be playing out somewhat ok so far:

3 Cantina Aliens - we need one more - Bo Shek, Djas Puhr, and ???
    (I have high hopes for Itklik, Hem Dazon, or the Gotal)

2 Jabba's Goons - we need one more - Ephont Mon and ??? (J'Quille would be awesome!)

2 Padme outfits (not classic, but there's so many...) - we have 2 E2 ones (spoiler figure from film's beginning hasn't been shown) and the white arena figure. We should see more in a movie year, but the main reason I list her in my Essential 10 with mostly Classic, is because we are still waiting for some E1 Padme's to be done.

2 Astromech's - DONE! We're getting the first ever R4 and R3 droids! Very cool. They can lay off until 2003 when we get some color vaiations (and many of you want R5D4 - which I'm all for, if they use the improved sculpt for repaints for other R5 droids later).

1 Jedi Master - still needed. Again, this is an E1 Jedi Master, so it could be one of five possibilities, but I'm for waiting on Yaddle - she will be possible as an E2 figure. Less memorable ones first, perhaps, and not while there is a Yoda in this year's assortment.

Anyway, a second category of figures (for #11 to about 15) was army builders. We got the Endor Soldiers with variations - an awesome gain for diorama builders. Now for Imperials, we are still supposed to get an alternate head for the Black Uniformed Imperial Officer recently released. (Blonde hair maybe) Where is that? Or the alternate color shoulder pauldron for a Sandtrooper? The Rebel Fleet Trooper was also going to get "the old guy's head" that we see in the film, but since we have 1 Rebel with the Endor dude, that's ok.

The other 3 figures in the troop builder group I planned were:

Local Guard - we're getting Crimson Guards from Coruscant (Royal Guardsmen)

Alien Army builder - we've got the Geonosian Warrior anyway

Droid Army - we're getting pilot droids I think. Plus the Super Destroyer Droid.

So far, Dejas Puhr is the highlight of all of this, and I think we're doing alright.

It is essential though that we get 1 more cantina alien this year, and 1 more Jabba Goon. An E1 Jedi Council Member would greatly help too.
    Last edited by Tycho; 02-10-2002 at 09:28 PM.

Well...

12"

Zuckuss - great sculpt, but could probably do without the black smudges on his head.

Dengar - not bad, but could have been given a more fleeting, awkward look.

Imp. Officer - face is a little dull, but maybe the gray makes it gloomier.

Darth Vader - one-pose wonder, but looks alright

7"

Darth Vader - colors seem off, unneccesary, like the rest of Unleashed.

4"

Endor Rebels - beardless one reeks of 12" blandness, bearded one has a little more personality.

Chewbacca - Could be the definitive version. 3PO sack isn't too bad, could have had an extra poa or two.

Djas Puhr - Fabulous, great neutral sculpt that comes that will look amazing with BoShek (if we can find both)

Han - Better sculpt, but I think the costume is wrong for Endor gear.

Ephant Mon - Where is he? I want to critique him.....

PlaySkool - Too cute! Love the Chewie.
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

Djas Puhr - very niceand unexpected.

I wish Ephant Man would have been there to see though.

Oh, and I am liking the new ROyal Guard.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Djas Puhr! WOOOOOOOO! :happy:
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm liking the Endor Han, through in a cloth trench coat, and you got yourself a winner.

Djas Puhr, perfect, don't change anything, slap 'em on a card and release 'em.

Chewie w/ 3PO, excellent chewie, 3PO is a nice addition, but I'd also like one of those bowcasters on the 25th chewie to be with this one. With the bowcaster, we'd have the definitive chewie.

Endor rebel soldiers, nice, two types, way better than the POTF2 one. Heads are a little bland, but what do you want, they're troop builders after all.

Ephant Mon...

Overall, a nice start, but I hope we get more OT this year than this. It'd be nice to get a new Luke, Leia endor to go with the Han, Teebo, AT-ST, Biker Scouts, etc. Also, some ewoks as long as they're gonna be making endor stuff.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Re: Well...

2002 looks to be a pretty good year for classic stuff after all, and those online lists that popped up were pretty accurate. Only thing we havent seen was the Rebel Officer, Ephant Mon, and they didnt have the Bespin Duel Vader or Luke on display. But I think we'll see pictures of them soon, I hope.

The 12" figures are great, I will probably pick up Zuckess and Dengar, just to complete my bounty hunters set. I really have pretty much stopped colletion 12" other then a few, to expensive for them, when mostly the 4" line is superior in variety and sculpting. As for the unleashed series, it's growing on me, just for display pieces around my entertainment center. They do look quite nice, and I will definatly pick up the Vader.

Wow, just wow is all I can really say at first about the new 4" classic offerings. Djas Puhr wasn't my first choice for cantina aliens, but he does look really nice. Han Endor, wow nice version finally of him from ROTJ, I bet he comes with a cloth duster, that just wasnt there for Toy Fair. Thats a nice basic posed chewie, with great articulation, and a better cargo net w/ C-3PO! The endor rebel soldiers look great, glad to see that hasbro remembers that we want varient heads. I wish they would have shown us proof they were still doing varient heads for the Rebel Fleet Trooper and Imperial Officer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Pleased with all of the classic offerings. Really surprised by the Endor soldier two pack. Han looks pretty good, but I don't get the discus throw pose. Chewie also looks pretty decent, will be interested to see those ball joint shoulders in person. All in all, glad to see that the OT isn't forgot in this year of AOTC.

Now, just gimmie R5 D4!
    "Three goofballs and a guy in a monkey suit."

Are the Endor Soldiers packed together, or is it like the Imperial Officer, Sandtrooper, and Rebel Soldier rumored to be: separate cards, deliberate variations for army building?

Djes Puhr

Djes Puhr... here is another figure I am very happy to see. Actually, it came as a total surprise to me. I was just going through the pics from Toy Fair, and there it was! I had been thinking about this character lately because I saw a pic of him in the Alien Anthology RPG supplement. I never thought then that it would soon be an action figure! Djes will be the only guy in the whole cantina with those nifty blaster lipops. I'll definitely be buying this one when and if I find it.
    "Is that the Six Million Dollar Man's boss?"

You know the "blaster lypops" are removeable don't you?

Removeable from his guns, I mean.

Personally, I like the "firing effects" for use in my dioramas to help figures look like they are doing something, fighting somebody. However, Djes Puhr didn't really need them as much as he needed to come with a beer mug - maybe with glittering drink effect?

But overall, I'm really excited about this figure. Just one more Cantina dude and one more Jabba Guy for this year and we're set! Ephont Mon's design sketches looked great!