Battlefront II Clone pack review

Got this pack today. Overall, I'd give it a C+. It's dissapointing, but if you like clones, it's worth getting, though I'm not sure you'll want to buy more of one of these packs at their price without wincing a little:

Clone Engineer: A lot has been made about the Engineer clonetrooper with the new helmet. This is the figure people want to buy extras of, it seems.

In the pictures, it looks great. The new helmet suggests a kind of mix between a pig, the McSnowtrooper and one of those pig-looking people in the hospital in that classic episode of "The Twilight Zone"("The Eye of the Beholder."). But the pictures suggest a precision in the lines and designs of the helmet that barely exists in the real figure.

This is a very, very dissapointing figure in my opinion. You want it because the helmet is original. And it's worth it as far as that's concerned--though mostly if you're a cloneaholic. But Hasbro cheated us a little on this one. It's very crudely done. Forget that the body seems to be the tired Bacara one; the helmet just looks like someone worked some putty over.

There is no precision to the helmet. The bluish emblem that looks so neat and detailed in the pictures is a little gaping blob in the actual figure. Having said that, it's one of the few clones in this pack that has a gun that actually fits well in the hand.

All in all, not that great a clone.

Grade: C+(mostly that high because I'm a clone collector and I have to give some credit for the new helmet).

Clone Sharpshooter: Now we're talking. This figure uses the Airborne trooper mold and as such, looks great. Though it's a sharpshooter, it really looks like it could be a commander for the Security Fleet clone troopers released early this year(the ones with the simple blue stripes). That's what I'm using him as. The gun is a standard rifle, the kind many of our clones already have; fits perfectly. Whether you have one or more, a good clone trooper. I knew before I got it I would use as a commander for the Security Fleet, so I'm glad I have this one.

Best clone trooper in the pack, IMO, which shows you don't have to totally change a clone to make it a good one.

Grade: A- (docked a little because the helmet still doesn't fit all the way down).

Clone Heavy Trooper: This is another solid clone. It goes very well with the Coruscant Clone Troopers, and actually makes more sense as a commander than the blue commander that came with the Coruscant clones in the Target battlepack.

The cannon gun is huge and you'll have problems keeping it in this clones hands. It has Bacara's crab-hands problem, which doesn't help in holding this gun. But it's a good, solid "newish" clone.

Grade: B+

Galactic Marine with Big-Arse Cannon
    : A darker, dirtier version of the regular Galactic Marine. With a big cannon. That's literally it. That's the difference. Imagine you had a lot of drying oil in your hands, you grabbed a Galactic Marine, and rubbed the caking oil on it. That's what you get here.

A very lazy excuse for a new clone. But hey, you get a new weapon.

Grade: D+

501st Jet Trooper: It has the not very popular old Jet Trooper mold, but this is a surprisingly neat looking figure. The helmet is slightly underdized, but the greenish eyes, and black design on the side of the helmet give it a freaky, sort of insect-like look. The Jet pack looks cool on this figure, who with his distinct Jet Trooper mold crouch looks ready to spring into the air.

This is a good new clone. If any of the clone troopers in this pack are worth troop building just a little, it's probably this one. Because it's slightly undersized, and because of it's natural crouch, it has a kind of pugnacious look to it. Cool.

Grade: A- (it gets a minus mostly because you'd think it wouldn't kill Hasbro would give us a Jet Trooper with an SA body.)

501st Clone Trooper: Remember how you eventually got tired of the 501st clone with the crappy gunner's body and removable helmet? Well, unless you never did get tired of those clones, you won't be excited about this one. It's arguably worse because the helmet seems to be flimsier--which makes the face under the helmet poke Alien-like into the helmet. Seriously, you can see contours of the head in the warp of this crappy helmet.

A terrible retread of a second-rate 501st clone. You'd have thought Hasbro would have at least thrown in a regular SA 501st now that there is one (Commander Appo). I threw this one into a bag with extra clones I'm not posing.

Grade: F
    Galactic Barn Burner

I didn't know where to put this, but according to Rebelscum, both this and the droid set are showing up at Toys R Us. I never got either of these, and despite the apparent crappiness, I still want them.

I saw the sets at TRU a week or so ago. The local Books-A-Million here still has a few of the battle droid sets from the first release.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I didn't know where to put this, but according to Rebelscum, both this and the droid set are showing up at Toys R Us. I never got either of these, and despite the apparent crappiness, I still want them.
    I really liked the clone set. I was able to incoporate all of the clones and didn't notice any decrease in quality in the normal 501st trooper. I did use the heavy trooper as the Fifth Fleet Security Commander (glad to see that I'm not the only one who came to that conclusion/decision).

If you're a troop builder, I'd say pick it up. Don't get the droid set though. Awful quality on virtually all the droids. They barely are able to stand. The plastic is thin and warped and the paint looks like a joke.

I saw a pile of these at Toys R Us today, and though I didn't look too closely at them, it didn't seem like a terrible set. Just more of the same I suppose.

Question though: am I crazy, or is this set really $30? I could have sworn I saw a lip sign that said they were charging $29.99 for this set. Seems a bit high to me.

I thought they were $39.99
    I'll look again, but if that's the case... they're out of their minds. I could see $25 maybe, but $40 is too much for an impulse buy kind of set like this.