Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How well did you budget for 2007?

Kind of a continuation of JT's thread. http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30529

Personally I blew my budjet by a good $600 and that is after raising it 50%. I'm guessing it was all the exclusives that killed me. It seems strange that two years after the last movie I'm spending more on a line.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

I usally just get what i want. Most Figures, some battlepacks, whatever ships catch my eye, etc. I dont collect every piece there is, just whatever looks like itd be pefect for the growing collection.

I don't really budget, but I keep track of everything I spend and like to compare totals from year to year. I was hoping this year would be less than last year since there were fewer figures in the main line. However, I haven't skipped any, and got some duplicates and some Legends army builders. Plus, some of the bigger things like the TRU exclusive vehicles, the big Target Battle Packs, Comic Packs and a few other multi-figure sets probably added up. Plus, I was probably still getting Saga 2 stuff at the beginning of the year. So far I am still $500 less than the record I spent in 2002, but still $300 more than my second highest yearly total from 2005 (I should say it's third highest now). 2006 was about the same as 2005.

I blew my budget big time this year. Once images started circulating of the figures for the first quarter, I planned to only buy:

vintage:
    Bossk
    IG-88
    Han Hoth
    Snowtrooper

TAC:
    Umpass Stay
    Luke Yavin
    Academy Biggs
    Death Star Trooper
    Han Falcon Gunner

Then once I got word of these figures, I added them to my list:
    Hermi Odle
    A-Wing Pilot
    Ewoks
    4-LOM

I didn't plan to buy any of the concept figures but have almost all of them now. I bought about half of wave one, all but one of wave 2, all of waves 3 and 4, the OT figures and Starkiller Hero from wave 5, all of waves 6 and 7. On top of that the entire VTAC collection.. twice over, and scattered Legends figures.

I planned to spend less than $100 this year but ended up spending a few hundred.

Pretty well. After looking at the pics as they were unveiled there were 3-4 figures I wanted from each wave. As I eventually saw them (or most of them) I was not moved enough to actually buy them. The ones I never saw at retail I could really care less about now. The only ones I bought were the McQ's and the Holiday Special Boba Fett, as well as their UGH variants. I seriously doubt I will buy anything in 2008, unless they do OT concepts again, but from the sounds of it I will be saving a lot of money.
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo
    Top Shelf Traders - tjovonovich, Val Da Car

Right now, 2008 looks to be very prequel and EU heavy. I have a feeling that it will be easy to keep to my budget. At least for the first quarter, if Hasbro suddenly starts pulling Jabba's Palace aliens and Skiff Guards out of their hat, then I can see my budget being blown big time.

This year the only EU set that I bought was the Luke/Mara Jade set and I regretted it as soon as I opened it and saw just how crappy the Luke figure was. I'm not wasting a single penny more on EU figures.

Which might sound hypocritical because I bought the McQuarrie figs and Animated Boba Fett this year and those could loosely be described as EU; but for me there is a distinction. My distaste for EU material only goes back to 1992 with the publishing of Heir to the Empire, which I believe is the first book in the much-overrated Thrawn trilogy.

Well considering i have not collected since the launch of the AOTC line...my budget was pretty good, but i've spent alot of money buying OTC, Saga 2, and TAC...so i've spent more this year on Star Wars figures than i ever have before. if 2008 is EU heavy then i dread seeing the bill...we just gotta see i suppose, though if alot of the rumors are true then 08 might not be that bad on me, since there will be lots of repacks of TAC i'm sure.

Honestly, I don't get why someone would prefer a guy in a helmet with little or no back story over a EU character, and if this guy in a helmet does have a backstory it's EU!!!!

Budget went out the window as soon as I seen the new product. I have around 16 regular carded figures left to get & one comic pack this year & I'm done. Next year I have a max of 10 carded figures, 2 or 3 possible comic packs, 2 or 3 evolutions, 3 to five vehicles (depending on AT-TE or not) & some misc items & then I'm done for the year. 2008 will be 5 or 6 hundred max as I'm going to the Grand Caymans in April & at the end of Aug we are building a new house. Ouch it's going to be a tight year.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

I didn't budget, my thinking was to buy ONLY what I liked, and only minimal of that. Unfortunately, I went a little beyond that, bought a few duplicates, a few Saga Legends, and a few figs that weren't really worth buying. So, pretty much SOP.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.