Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Coolest Christmas Toys

What was the coolest Christmas toy you received as a little tyke? And by that, I mean 12 years or younger.

I HAD to have the USS Battlewagon, and good ol' Santa brought it (I must have been nice and not naughty that year....I think I was 9 or 10 that year).

Here's the old TV commercial for it (check the playlist):

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/like...&theme=toyland

For me, this rivaled Ralphy getting his Red Ryder BB gun!

What was you all-time coolest Christmas kiddie gift memory?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Twelve or younger, eh? That rules out most of the GI Joe stuff I got, things like the Mobile Command Center and Cobra Terror Drome were awesome toys. Also exempt for me is the POTF Tatooine Skiff, one of the best vintage SW vehicles made IMO. Another great toy was the LEGO Futuron Monorail, but I got that when I was a little older too.

So I suppose it'd be a toss up between the Death Star or Ewok Village playsets. I got both for Christmas and played with them for years. I guess I'll have to go with the Ewok Village.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Hmmm.... I would say my Playstation 2 that I got when I was 13, but that doesn't really qualify as a toy.

It could have been Wayne Manor/the Batcave from "Batman: The Animated Series" that I got when I was five.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-Returns-B...QQcmdZViewItem
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by General_Grievous View Post
    Hmmm.... I would say my Playstation 2 that I got when I was 13, but that doesn't really qualify as a toy.

It could have been Wayne Manor/the Batcave from "Batman: The Animated Series" that I got when I was five.
    How well I remember the Batcave! Santa brought that for my son, also (he's a year younger than you, GG). I think that happened about the year after you received yours.

The reason I use the 12 year mark in my post is because, at least for me, the whole Christmas/Santa thing was so much more magical in that time frame.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

For some reason that I can't explain, Micronauts were somehow cooler in my young mind than Star Wars, at least for a while. I remember one specific Christmas REALLY wanting the Micronauts Battlecruiser, like, really bad! I was so excited to open that box up on Christmas morning.

Epilogue: Years later, when childhood seemed such a distant memory, I was going through my old stuff when we cleaned out our parent's attic. There I found a huge box of old Micronauts, including my beloved Battlecruiser. It seemed so massive when I was little. Now, well... I looked up Micronauts on the internet and found some fan groups. People still are in love with these things the way Star Wars fans still buy the toys. I sold the whole lot to some wonderful woman for about fifty bucks or so. What was so important so long ago.....

BEST: TWO WORDS TERROR DROME!!!!

or Death Star......both rocked....

worst: Two Words My Buddy.......
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Buddy doll was my Christmas present when I was 12!
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    How well I remember the Batcave! Santa brought that for my son, also (he's a year younger than you, GG). I think that happened about the year after you received yours.
    I loved that Batcave, and the Batmobile as well. But I wasn't too crazy about all the different Batmen that they had. I just wanted one in his regular outfit and a whole bunch of villains for him to fight. I think I have a lot of the toys in my attic.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

One Christmas I got an entire set of every monster figure made for Inhumanoids, including the three big bads (Metlar, D-Compose, and Tendril) which seemed to be out of most people's "reasonable price" range for a toy (well...for people who don't collect toys as a hobby anyway). I also got one of the Earth Corps figures (he is the one with blue armor and neon green claws pictured on the page I linked to).

Another Christmas I got several of the Mad Scientist kits.

The first kit was the "Mad Scientist Monster Lab". You would build the plastic skeletons out out of various hinged and ball & socket parts. Then you covered the skeletons with a playdough like subtance for skin. Finally you covered the skin with skin texture (using a rod with "texture" molded tip) and added more accessories like plastic eye, ears, teeth, etc. to complete your monster. After the monster was created came the fun part, you filled a tank full of water and added special chemicals packets to it to create a frothy acid bath. Next, toss the monster in an watch its flesh froth and disolve to the bone as various body parts fall off.

The second kit was the "Mad Scientist Dissect an Alien". This kit was also amusing, though not quite as much fun. You put the plastic organs inside the alien in a 3-D like puzzle fashion (covering the organs and alien's insides with glow in the dark "alien blood" slime. After you put it together came the fun part. Cutting the alien's stitches open and disecting the blood soaked organs from its body.

I also remember getting almost all of the monsters from My Pet Monster (the only one I didn't get was the Football Player Monster). I think I only got the hand puppet monsters for Christmas though, the main monster (for whom the line was all about) I believe was a birthday present.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 12-21-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I don't remember ever getting anything cool. No matter how many times i wrote my list for santa he never left me anything I actually wanted. just a bunch of cheap crap and innapropriate giftage.
    Wait, i did get one cool present, a carpenters set. with real metal blades with proper saw teeth and nails and a decent hammer. all kid sized. it got taken off me after a day because i was sawing through my grandma's antique furniture and the rungs on the outside ladder. Never saw that carpenters gear again.