Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscars!

Oscars!

The Academy Awards are my SuperBowl, so I am super excited. Here are the nominations this year:

Supporting Actress
    Jennifer Connely - Beautiful Mind
    Helen Mirren - Gosfrod park
    Maggie Smith - Gosford Park
    Marisa Tomei - In the Bedroom
    Kate Winslet - Iris

Supporting Actor
    Jim Broadbent - iris
    Ethan Hawke - Training Day
    Ben Kingsley - Sexy Beast
    Ian McKellan - LOTR
    Jon Voight - Ali

Actress
    Halle Berry - Monster's Ball
    Judi Dench - Iris
    Nicole Kidman - Moulin Rouge
    Sissy Spacek - In the Bedroom
    Rene Zellweger - Bridget Jones

Actor
    Russell Crowe - Beautiful Mind
    Sean Penn - I am Sam
    Wil Smith - Ali
    Denzel - Training Day
    Tom Wilkinson - In the Bedroom

Original Screenplay
    Amelie
    Gosford park
    Memento
    Monster's ball
    Royal Tenenbaums

Adapted Screenplay
    Beautiful Mind
    Ghostworld
    In the Bedroom
    LOTR
    Shrek

Director
    Ron Howard - Beautiful Mind
    Ridley Scott - Black hawk Down
    Robert Altman - Gosford park
    Peter Jackson - LOTR
    David Lynch - Mulholland Drive

Picture
    Beautiful Mind
    Gosford park
    In the Bedroom
    LOTR
    Moulin Rouge

My big beef is Memento getting shafted pretty much all around the board. I'll wait to tell you what I thing is going to win until I hear your thoughts. I'll also post the smaller awards as they become availible.

Some more noms:

Makeup
    Beautiful Mind
    LOTR
    Moulin Rouge

Art Direction
    Amelie
    Gosford Park
    Harry Potter
    LOTR
    Moulin Rouge

Cinematography
    Amelie
    Black Hawk Down
    LOTR
    Man who Wasn't there
    Moulin Rouge

Costume
    Affair of the Necklace
    Gosford park
    Harry Potter
    LOTR

Music Score
    A.I.
    Beautiful Mind
    Harry Potter
    LOTR

Music Song
    Kate & Leopold
    LOTR
    Monster's Inc
    Pearl Harbor
    Vanilla Sky

Sound
    Amelie
    Black Hawk Down
    LOTR
    Moulin Rouge
    Pearl Harbor

Sound Editing
    Monster's Inc
    Pearl Harbor

Visual Effects
    A.I.
    LOTR
    Pearl Harbor

Editing
    Beautiful Mind
    Black Hawk Down
    LOTR
    Memento
    Moulin Rouge

Who cares about short films, documentaries, and foreign films? Not me. Discuss!

Lord of the Rings has the most nominations with a whopping 13!

Beautiful Mind - 8
    Moulin Rouge - 7
    Gosford Park - 7
    Amelie - 5 (including foreign film)
    In the Bedroom - 5
    Blak Hawk Down - 4

Monster's Inc - 3
    Pearl Harbor - 3
    Harry Potter - 3
    Iris - 3

Shrek - 2
    Ali - 2
    A.I. - 2
    Training Day - 2
    Monster's Ball - 2
    Memento - 2

Sexy Beast, Mullholland Drive, I am Sam, Bridget Jone's Diary, Affair of the Necklace, Man Who Wasn't There, Kate & leopold, Ghost World, and Vanilla Sky each got one nom.

Watched the nom announcements on Fox 11 news just a little while ago. It was funny to hear someone yelp when David Lynch's name was mentioned in "Best Director". Everybody has been talking about "Monster's Ball", so it's surprising to see it get almost NO nominations at all. LOTR grabbing 13 nominations was shocking, no matter how good the movie is, Sci-Fi/Fantasy always gets shafted (see 1977 for the perfect example, it's 25 years later and we're STILL saying "Annie Hall?!? Annie ****ing HALL?!?"). I feel a bit weird about this, of the list of nods, I have seen ZERO of those films, not even LOTR or Shrek. Upon reflection, I stopped seeing new movies right after Episode I - there is clearly a subconcious connection.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

jeditricks,

it's funny you haven't been to the movies in a while after hoping episode 2 wouldn't be released on home video so soon after it's theatrical release. i used to see about 3 movies a week, but people are getting so rude and theatres sound systems are horribly under-used that the movie going experience has become
    a very unpleasant experience.

have you experienced something like this?

i was watching fox news when the announcements were announced, and the 3 hosts hadn't seen any of the films except shrek and LOTR. i have not heard of most of them either. memento and guy pierce got robbed. i like russel crow, but my goodness, is he going to win every year? :happy:

For me, it's like this: Before Ep 1, movies were often good and had allure for me; after Ep 1, movies sorta lost their luster, their allure avoiding me. 2000 and 2001, I can't remember which movies I saw, I can't remember if I actually saw any movies at all. Perhaps my outlook on movies changed from Ep 1, or perhaps Hollywood changed to be more like Ep 1 (at least in their trailers and PR) - I can't be sure, but 3 years between excitement for movies is a bad sign for me, I used to go to movies ALL the time.

As for the quality of theaters, I live in LA where we have a LOT of good theaters (so long as you avoid mall theaters, they're terrible) and I rarely have bad theater experiences. Another thing, I love movie trailers in the theater, but I hate them on DVD/VHS!

I'm still shocked that David Lynch got a nod for a film he did originally as a pilot for ABC. That's wild!

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Memento got shafted, and LOTR will get shafted, it won't win squat because its a big blockbuster fantasy.

I know what you mean about how not a lot of people have seen the majority of movies nominated this year. I've only seen

LOTR
    Monsters Inc.
    Shrek
    Memento

I also know what you mean about how movies don't really seem very good anymore for the most part. I see about a movie a week, and very few stand out as really good.

I very rarely care who wins oscars and who doesn't. Its all opinions, its not like God is picking these winners, just people like you and me, people with their own opinions. Who cares!
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
    Monsters, Inc
    Shrek

WTH?!? Jimmy Neutron? Jimmy Freakin' Neutron? I'll admit I didn't watch it and it could be great, but the reason I didn't watch it was because it looked stupid and childish, and the animation wasn't nearly good enough to make up for it.

Monsters Inc and Shrek I agree with, but did these sons of motherless goats even see Atlantis: The Lost Empire? They must not have, because if they had, it would've been there. Excellent story, top notch animation, perfectly-cast voice-overs. I saw it once in the theater, twice so far on DVD (and am going to see it again with my niece this weekend), and it has yet to get old.

Did the Oscar committee not want two Disney movies in the running? Or did they take the typical view of animation, thinking it was only a bunch of lame kids' cartoons and therefore no one would care, since kids don't watch awards shows?

This just gives me even more justification in my belief that all awards shows are nothing more than pathetic jokes. Remember, this is the show in which John Williams' score for SW:E1:TPM didn't get a single nomination. And in which The Matrix beat TPM for Best Special Effects.

Or my favorite all-time Oscar nomination: Babe for best special effects over Mortal Kombat.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Actually, I think the SFX in Matrix were better than E1. E1 was just a bunch of cgi creatures running around for the most part, or actors in front of a blue screen. Matrix had some pretty cool stuff going on, just watch the behind the scenes on the DVD.

Atlantis was pretty good, but regardless, Shrek is still not only the best animated film of the year, but of any year, its also one of the best movies of the year, too, IMO.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I was really surprised to see Jimmy Neutron nominated too, that was totally off the wall.