ROTS Anakin Skywalker

With all the talk of the latest likenesses coming for characters from ANH, I thought I'd take a look back at ROTS Anakin Skywalker...a figure that generated a lot of spirited discussion upon it's release.
    It was another example of how Sideshow sometimes stumbles in execution...in this case, the paint apps. The costume was excellent, the accessories plentiful and interesting (especially that amazing robotic arm!) and he had a decent enough sculpt as many of the customizers over at SSF demonstrated with their amazing repaints...

I just wish Sideshow would get more consistant in that final lap...for every ANH Ben and Leia/Boussh, we get a Yavin Luke or ROTS Anakin. Not bad figures, just bad paint...

But I still really like this figure...hopefully that forthcoming iconic rendition of his son will come out well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anakin040SSG.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	16576  

Foreign factories using paint masks, not very advanced. It kinda seems like a waste of time to even prototype the paint since it NEVER comes out looking that way anyhow. However, sometimes the paint lately has been better than the prototypes, such as Luke Bespin.

So, what's the deal with that background? Crinkled up paper, something hairy?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yes, Luke Bespin did come out rather well...

Oh, and it's newsprint, swiped with charcoals, inks and some silver paint.
    Lightly moistened with sponge and then tightly crumbled and smoothed out.
    I thought it would be different for a background...almost cave-like.
    Then I played with some shadows a bit...it's always fun to try and come up with something different when taking shots of these figures...

Here's another one with a change in lighting...(shows off the figure a bit better too)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anakin041SSG.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	16577  

Nice pics as usual jedibear. I really like the ROTS Anakin and I actually dont have any beefs with the paint job. My only complaint is his arm constantly falling out.

I'd really like to see AOTC Obi-Wan and Anakin come along later in the year.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Interesting idea with the newsprint. The two things I'd suggest is using lighter colors if possible, and to wrinkle it in multiple directions to keep it looking natural.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.