Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I really hate fonts that won't allow PDF embedding

So a client wants an ad using some weirdo fonts, and none of them embed into PDF due to the permissions set by the creator. So I have to export the InDesign file to EPS, open it in Illustrator, convert all the text to images, then export it to PDF for approval. And, working with massive image files, this takes a damned long time for something that could be a five-minute process if the fonts acted like normal fonts.

I could've been in bed over an hour ago.

Just thought I'd share.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

What's the point of copywrighting a font, anyways? I mean has anyone ever actually been sued for using a font they weren't supposed to use?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I have no idea. No idea at all.

I always find it odd that Helvetica is one of the fonts that won't embed at all. However, everyone has Helvetica already, so I never worry about it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    However, everyone has Helvetica already, so I never worry about it.
    everyone using a mac, anyway. windows does NOT ship with helvetica installed because they felt it cost too much money, so they went for a cheaper, uglier clone/alternative (arial).

personally i like verdana and geneva better than the helvetica/arial family anyway.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So a client wants an ad using some weirdo fonts, and none of them embed into PDF due to the permissions set by the creator. So I have to export the InDesign file to EPS, open it in Illustrator, convert all the text to images, then export it to PDF for approval. And, working with massive image files, this takes a damned long time for something that could be a five-minute process if the fonts acted like normal fonts.

I could've been in bed over an hour ago.

Just thought I'd share.

I discovered this by accident when I realized that my editor wasn't seeing the proper font that I had used in a Word document that I had turned into a .pdf. The entire point of creating the .pdf was so he could see the layout and fonts. I had to print pages and actually mail them. Very frustrating.

I like the M*A*S*H font.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    I discovered this by accident when I realized that my editor wasn't seeing the proper font that I had used in a Word document that I had turned into a .pdf. The entire point of creating the .pdf was so he could see the layout and fonts. I had to print pages and actually mail them. Very frustrating.
    Yeah, and Word is trickier, because Microsoft doesn't like its programs to place nicely with Adobe products. My previous boss wanted as much in Word as possible, and it's such an incredible pain to get tables and formatting to work properly on the PDF. At least I was using InDesign here, so I could export it to an EPS, then edit it so it could be an accurate PDF (though you lose the ability to select text). Like I said, it's a process that can tie up your computer for an hour or more, easy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I use InDesign on the newspaper, and usually it works just fine, but I have spent many hours trying to fix inane s*** that shouldn't happen (mostly export problems). I love when it gets extremely near to the end of the exporting process and then just quits.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I love when it gets extremely near to the end of the exporting process and then just quits.
    We're talking about the font conversion, not how long it takes you to do it. Let's keep it on topic here.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.