Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

2007 SSG Oscar Movie Challenge

Hey folks, UK and I decided to do another challege. Rules are you can watch any movie or short that has been nominated for, or won an Academy Award. We'll run the challenge for a month, starting at midnight tonight, 1-24 through 2-24 ending at midnight. We'll keep track just like we did back with the other challenges. If so, if you can also put in what the movie was nominated for as well. Here is a good place to check if a movie you'd like to watch has been nominated. Enjoy!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quack's Arcade

Alright... gonna start this out with a good one! Already got it picked out, just gotta wait 30 more minutes before I can press play.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

January 24th
    1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    Won: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Writing
    Nominated: Best Film Editing, Best Sound
    2. Capote (2006)
    Won: Best Actor
    Nominated: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Writing
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

1/24
    An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)

Lou Gosset, Jr. won for Supporting Actor and Debra Winger was nominated for Actress.
    Plus it got a handful of technical wins and nominations.

Awesome!!! Glad to see you are going to do the challenge with us Cae.

I lucked out on that one, since I'm home sick and feeling near death I found it on HBO just after the Robert Loggia intro scene, so I watched it almost in its entirety...I love that movie, even as a kid I loved it when my old man would watch it, of course now I appreciate it a whole lot more.

I'll probably watch a DVD tonight and make sure it's Oscar caliber.
    Plus I'm calling in tomorrow too, so I should be able to catch another one or two between naps.

1/24
    1/25
    Closer (2004)

Natalie Portman and Clive Owen were both nominated for Supporting Acress and Actor...both very good performances, in my opinion, with Owen's being the best in the film.

I just put in my Life as a House DVD in error, I was thinking of the Golden Globe nom for Supporting Actor for H-Christ (as well as SAG nominations for H-Christ as well as Kevin Kline for Actor).

Anyway, it's a great movie and I don't want to stop watching it now that I started, so I'm giving it honorable mention here.

1/24
    1/25
    Closer (2004)
    Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Nominated:
    Supporting Actress- Abigail Breslin
    Best Picture

Won:
    Best Original Screenplay
    Supporting Actor- Alan Arkin

I love this movie, saw it once in the theater then again on DVD and a few times since on HBO, including today. Just a good movie all around, the whole cast is good with Alan Arkin's "Grandpa" being especially humorous.

Steve Carell rocks in this movie as well.

WTF ? You guys start up this thread and now I'm posting for the 5th straight time?

1/24
    1/25
    Closer (2004)
    Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
    Jackie Brown (1997)

Nominated: Robert Forster, Supporting Actor

What can I say about Jackie Brown? It's definitely Tarantino's best movie and Forster was awesome as Max Cherry, but IMO they could have nominated several others for their performances ESPECIALLY Pam Grier as Jackie and Michael Keaton as well. Great movie, great story, great acting. Great soundtrack, too. Oh, and Sid Haig is in it as well.