Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA-7 Review

RA-7 Review

You know I didn't buy very many of the Saga Legends figures last year. I bit on a couple like the Darktrooper, which I didn't have the original version. I picked up RA-7 know he came with the re-issued Sandcrawler which I didn't have.

This was one of those reviews, that the more I wrote, the stronger my opinion of the figure got.

Check out my thoughts here:

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/ra7.asp

Enjoy!
    Engineernerd
    Last edited by Engineernerd; 01-26-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling, oops.

Kind of the impression I got when I saw him on the pegs. Especially when you see him next to CZ-4. Unfortunately, this probably means it will be several years before Hasbro attempts an all-new "Death Star Droid."

I'm kind of surprised your final score was as high as it was. I expected a 50 or a 60, not an 80.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    ....I'm kind of surprised your final score was as high as it was. I expected a 50 or a 60, not an 80.
    Yeah, I know it was a bit high. I probably subliminaly accounted for the fact that this figure was actually sculpted years ago and not 2007. The worn paint job helped as well.

Personaly, I think the best version of RA-7 made to date is the original 1970's figure. At least he is silver, and in a more convincing neutral pose. Just scrape off the black paint on one and they even have scruffs and scratches on most loose ones.

I saw the newest version at target and passed because I realized he was a repaint of the blackish collored one they made nearly a decade ago. Since most of my figures I have in set ups are modern, I didn't even give him a second thought. I'm just not about to pay money for one in the modern line until Hasbro dose him justice.

They should have vac-metaled this figure. It would have looked so much better, even despite its shortcomings. They'll probably do it for the resculpt so they can sucker us into buying more RA-7s.

In one of Hasbro's Q&As, they said they wouldn't be re-doing this mold. Obviously that could change in the future, but . . .

Also, even though the vintage figure is silver, the coloring of the modern-era figures are more accurate - the Death Star one is black and the Sandcrawler one is rusty (though this one maybe could have been vac-metallized).
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Aren't they using the RA-7 mold for the droid that's coming with Boba Fett in one of the new comic two packs? I have issue 81 (Marvel #) shown in pics with that pack. I have to say I wouldn't have guessed this was the droid in the comic book. That and he's a weird purplish blue color.

Yeah, at least from the pictures I saw it looks the same. An ugly purple version of the same darn figure. I think it looks silver in the movies by the way. I don't think the new colors on the saga version look screen accurate to me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...200px-RA-7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    Yeah, at least from the pictures I saw it looks the same. An ugly purple version of the same darn figure. I think it looks silver in the movies by the way. I don't think the new colors on the saga version look screen accurate to me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...200px-RA-7.jpg
    Right on! The true Death Star Droid will always be silver to me, despite Hasbro trying to foist multiple color schemes upon us. I was able to accept the black one in '98, since there actually is a black one on the first Death Star, but the droid in the Sandcrawler IS silver in my mind, and always will be. Probably due to the Vintage silver droid and the silver droid shown on its cardback.

No... not exactly legendary, but I'm not one to look a gift-droid in the mouth. Having missed the POTF2 version, and seeing as how I haven't opened my Sandcrawler, it's still nice to have a shot at owning this one.

Would have been best if he was silverish. I see the Death Star RA-7 as being kind of a gun-metal grey. Even the Sandcrawler droid seems like a tarnished silver.

Maybe I'll buy one to repaint sometime.