Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    TeeEye, is there a police code 1138? If so, what would be the crime in progress?
    Almost universally, cops use a variation of the ten code system nationally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code

However, the CHP does have a system of eleven codes (Why? Because they can!):

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/reference.html

As you can see, there is no 11-38 ( only 11-41 and 11-48 would be in the neighborhood). Obviously, without 1138, the system is un-.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

[radio static]
    "7 Mary 12, we have reports of an 11-38 in progress."
    "Repeat, Car 54?"
    "We have an 11-38 going on."
    "What's an 11-38 again?"
    "Shameless plug of a no-longer subtle in-text reference."
    "Throw the book at 'em, guys. Over."
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    TeeEye, is there a police code 1138? If so, what would be the crime in progress?
    The crime is there IS no 1138!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Last night, the Big Read (for Fahrenheit 451) talk was on a local campus, and each floor had a series of lockers or storage cabinets. I noticed that the second floor ones all started with "2-" so I checked the first floor, and cabinet 138 was shown like below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-138 Cabinet.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	23729  
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Through the first six games, Auburn QB Cam Newton has thrown for 1,138 yards.

The Ohio State Buckeyes got to within the closest score versus Wisconsin yesterday after a TD and 2-pt conversion to make it 21-18 (in a game they lost 31-18, which is itself an anagram of 11-38) at the 11:38 mark in the 4th quarter.

Last week, a student came in to class late with a note time dated 11:38am. And yesterday, when a friend of mine (who was also a SW fan) was checking his cell messages, I said "it would be cool if it was 11:38am" and the time just changed from 11:37.

So, today I was walking back to my desk at work and looked up at the clock and saw that it was 11:38. A little bit later, I was working in a spreadsheet and the row I was looking at was 1138. A little bit later, I'm scanning a check into the computer (we have desktop deposit now), and see that the check number is 1138. So, I hit the 1138 trifecta today.

I finally finished all my semester finals grading, and alas, no student earned 1,138 nor 420 points (but some had 1,148 or 1,108 and a couple earned 911). Nor did I find a mile marker (they were going out to the hundreths place) for 11.38 while in Ventura County backroads (but i noticed when the "trip-ometer" hit 113.8 miles). With other numbers:
    - the best cut and size prepackaged roast beef I found came to $6.66 at Costco.
    - the preset temperature to clean the self-cleaning oven was 420 degrees. :baked:

You can visit VFW Post 1138 in Monroe, MI. And there's a Boy Scout troop 1138 in Houston.