Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby

My nephew entered his first Pinewood Derby over the weekend. He wanted a Star Wars themed car & what better craft to emulate then the Republic Gunship. But not any Republic Gunship, the one from the Clone Wars cartoon!!

Took a little creative license & placed them on Mustafar. Also added Yoda, R2-D2, C-3PO, Anakin, Obi-Wan, & a Mace Windu Clone trooper, but hey, its for my nephew!!

I think it turned out pretty good. Not too impressed by the shape, but I didnt have any input in that, it was already carved by my brother-in-law.

Was a really fun project to do. Everything you see from the paint down to the smallest decal were all hand drawn & created by me.

Even went the extra step & added his initials in Aurabesh on the back!

Here it is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinewood1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	16662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinewood2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	16663  

That's pretty cool.

I wish I had one of those when I was in the scouts (way too many) years ago.
    Move along, move along

Awesome! I was a big fan of making my pinewood derby car very unique and not some lame traditional looking car shape. My second one was a pencil.

What did you use for the SW images on the side? Did you make your own decals? I used a lot of decals from WW2 aircraft models on mine. My first car had the P-40 shark mouth of the Flying Tigers. Awesome!
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

That's pretty sweet. Those were the days huh. I too tricked out my derby cars with decals and unique paint jobs, but I never once thought to use a SW theme. Very nice job on the paint and decals.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]MOM, THROW DOWN SOME MONEY! THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMIIING!!!![/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port View Post
    What did you use for the SW images on the side? Did you make your own decals?
    I made everything on the side from scratch except the actual Mustafar background image & I borrowed the Clone Wars cartoon characters from a site I visited. The Clone started as a red clone. I changed the color on it to get each unique clone class.

Door with railing on the side, insignias, kills, & the mouth on the front, all done from scratch though. Nothing was premade except SW characters.

My son was a Cubscout for just one year (before moving up to Boyscouts) so he only got one chance to make a Pinewood Derby car.

I posted a photo of it at the time (2005), but here is is again. It was the normal kit which was covered in real bark and topped with the animated Yoda figure.

Didn't win any races but took the design prize hands down.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...star+wars+cars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yodacar1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	16664  

Sweet, I wish Star Wars had come out, before I was in the Cub Scouts. Pinewood Derby was the one thing I looked forward to as a scout.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Very cool! Never seen Star Wars-themed pinewood cars when I was a cub scout, would have blown my mind.

The shape on it is a little odd, what was he going for, boat or canoe or something like that?

My pinewood derby car was a fairly simple purple wedge with a slight windshield-like lip, it took second overall that day.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The shape on it is a little odd, what was he going for, boat or canoe or something like that?
    Couldnt tell ya. My sister brought it over & I was like, OK, what am I supposed to do with that thing?

She said that her kids wouldnt be still long enough to cut it any other shape so he just left it like that.

If I had it to cut, I would have made it really awesome, sloped sides, made it as close to the Gunship as possible. Oh well, what can you do...

Yeah, the Republic Gunship shape, minus the wings, actually would lend itself well to the pinewood body, albeit a little on the wide side.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.