Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How come Hasbro gives Indiana Jones playsets, but denies SW

Hasbro has consistently said playsets are not profitable for them.

Indiana Jones has at least the idol capture playset from Raiders that I've seen a picture of.

And Star Wars? Yeah I thought so.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The only big playset for Indy is a repaint of the Mustafar playset, so that was just easy for Hasbro to make. And the others are just mini-playsets priced at $10. They're nothing special at all. But seeing the AT-TE can make one forget all about playsets for Star Wars. For the moment, at least.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

That's a repaint of Mustafar? I'll have to take another look.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

That Indy playset looks to be no better than the ROTS Mustafar playset. Is that something most SW collectors would want?

Just think about how much shelf space a playset would take up in the stores. They would have to place it where the role playing toys (lightsabers, blasters) and the 19.99 vehicles are currently.

Actually, I think that Mustafar remold/repaint looks better for Indy than it did for SW.

But Indiana Jones is more closely-linked to where he is and how he's interacting with his environments in a way, by comparison to how Star Wars is more about the vehicles.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They actually seem to have made the AT-TE into a playset, it looks like the flaps that fold down on the forward sides and the rear one have ladders and stairs sculpted into them. It makes it look like more of a battlefield command building than just a giant piece of artillery, if that was the purpose then I think that's very bright on Hasbro's part.

As for those mini-playsets, I assume that's a deluxe line of sorts, and aside from the German on motorcycle (very cool looking) I think they'll be sitting.

The Mustafar playset retooling is quite cool though, tons better than the original use for it. The mountain-side look comes off as more realistic than a volcano, that in our minds we know should be massive compared to the characters standing on it.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I think that the reason that Hasbro is going with playsets for Indiana Jones is because it's the new hot property this year since it will have a movie release. I wish Hasbro would give us some playsets for Star Wars but since they are making the AT-TE I can look the other way for now.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Meh, I'd like to have a kick arse Death Star playset; but since they made the AT-TE I could care less right now. The AT-TE makes up for a lot of the carp Hasbro has put out in the past. I hope for a new Falcon with as much attention to eveything that the AT-TE has.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

You're right about the AT-TE! Hasbro should be forgiven most of their Star Wars sins for bringing us this one!

And you guys are right that the Indiana Jones playset is a retooling and repainting of the Mustafar Playset. I didn't see that before, but it definitely is.

I don't think they should be forgiven for giving us a mediocre Nightie Leia when they could've used the same comic to give us the Guri we've been begging for.
    Tommy, close your eyes.