Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I for one will not be buying any of these new Clone Wars figures in the animated style, but I'm an adult (somewhat) and these are obviously geared towards kids.

I will be telling the Hot Wheels-crossover-Star Wars scalpers that I'm aquainted with that these are really hot, so they can help Hasbro clear the pegs. (this one HW guy told me he bought ten Holo Vaders- what a tool!)

Personally, I never did like any of the OTC animated maquettes, but if Hasbro wants to cash in on the whole animated thing, let them. Apparently they know what they are doing.

All I know if there isn't much other stuff to buy then I will not be spending as much as I did last year.
    As far as the Clone Wars clogging the pegs, I think there is still Saga II figures there to take care of, plus a few TAC's.

I am so glad I am not alone here! I am not very impressed by the clone wars cartoony stuff, but the movie stuff and some of the comic packs I am down for. As I was looking at the clone wars stuff I was thinking that besides the vehicles I would pass on it.

I hope the kids dig it and I hope it generates more interest in Star Wars. I will not be buying. But that is ok, there seems to be plenty of other things on the Star Wars collecting front to keep the adults busy too.
    "Not again, Obi Wan is going to kill me."

All this moaning and crying is just stupid.

Yes, I would have preferred realistic style figures for the show. But, then again, I think I'm one of the very, very few people on this site who are actually looking forward to it, so I don't know why most of you here would even contemplate buying these figures if they were done in the realistic style anyway. I have to think that they'll do these figures again sometime down the road to better match the movies. If you can, just wait for those.

The comic pack figures are completely separate from the main line and aren't "infecting" it in any way whatsoever. Right from the start, that line has featured funky coloring and/or slightly stylized sculpts (look at Mara Jade and Dark Woman - their proportions are completely unrealistic, and yet I never heard any complaining). They've never truly been 100% realistic or meant to fit with the movie figures. None of the pictures from Toy Fair look to me like they're making them "cartoony;" they're basing them off of the source material. Someone brought up Xizor's head - yeah, he has a big head, so what? He's a big green lizard man, he's NEVER going to be "realistic."

I really don't think they're going to start making OT figures in the style of the Clone Wars figures. Even if they do, they would be separate from the others, in the same way that the Clone Wars line is NOT the Legacy Collection. It's not like you don't already own 87 Han Solo figures, for chrissakes, so even if they made an animated one I don't think it would hurt. Just don't buy it. They made animated-style figures in 1985 and 2003 and yet those stylings didn't carry over into the movie figures.

And, yet again, everyone is completely overlooking all the awesome stuff Hasbro is making. It's just like last year, when people kept harping on about Moisture Vaporator Luke and pretty much forgot about Hermi Odle, Academy Biggs, CZ-4, and all the other figures they'd been crying for for years. Yarna and the AT-TE were, judging by this site, THE TWO MOST REQUESTED ITEMS of the past several years. Now they've been made and they look fantastic. But does anyone even care? No, they're too busy jumping ship because of a kid-oriented subline from a TV show they didn't want to see anyway.

They've done lines exclusively for kids before, too. Look at Force Battlers and Galactic Heroes, for example -- those are (or were) separate from the main line, and I've yet to see any 3 3/4" Lukes done in either of these styles. Your retarded fears are completely unfounded.

If you want to quit, quit. But quitting just because of a subline -- based on the biggest SW event since 2005, mind you -- is just asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Marble
    But that is ok, there seems to be plenty of other things on the Star Wars collecting front to keep the adults busy too.
    I completely agree. I don't see why more people don't see it this way.

Personally I can't wait for the Clone Wars Cartoon, I loved the micro series, and i will more than likely love this one. I understand that the figures aren't for me, they're for the kids, and you know what that's a great thing. Hasbro and Lucas both need to get kids back into the line and back into star wars. (Though from what i've seen in the toy aisles kid's are still with the line.)

The toys though i was really looking forward to. Why? Barris Offee, Anakin's apprentice, A baby hutt, Rex, just to name a few...what are all those characters? NEW! (Or in need of a resculpt) I have no problem with Hasbro making this subline and gearing it torward kids, and packing them with action features doesn't bother me what so ever. I just wished they made it realistic and more compatiable with the rest of my collection.

If Hasbro made an OT animated line...I'd pass. I passed on the mighty muggs, and i would pass on these. I think that's an horriable idea, and why on earth would collectors want something like this i'd never know because if they made a cartoon based on the OT 90% of you OT fan boys wouldn't be happy with it for some reason or another. (Maybe Yarna's going to be skinny!?) (Luke's hair doesn't point the right way...I could keep going...Chewie looks like a doverman animated...Leia's juggs are to big...Jabba's got a eating disorder..The Rancor needs a cap on his right front tooth...3P0's animated voice actor doesn't hit the high note like Anthony..

My Point is collectors are never happy. (Myself included) and we forget that Star Wars just isn't about us. (Because were all Addicts...Addicts always think the world revoloves around them.) We gotta admit that kids need some play features and toys marketed for them and their play needs...not SA soft good sculpts Hybrid sculpts.

I also thought the comic pack sculpts looked great! I think Hasbro is doing a great job on those, and the Evolutions also kicked some major booty!

Honestly, I don't get why someone would prefer a guy in a helmet with little or no back story over a EU character, and if this guy in a helmet does have a backstory it's EU!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    All this moaning and crying is just stupid.

Yes, I would have preferred realistic style figures for the show. But, then again, I think I’m one of the very, very few people on this site who are actually looking forward to it, so I don’t know why most of you here would even contemplate buying these figures if they were done in the realistic style anyway. I have to think that they’ll do these figures again sometime down the road to better match the movies. If you can, just wait for those.
    Let’s hope Hasbro does at least the NEW characters in the realistic style at some point. At least Hasbro could capture that money from we collectors who are against the animate style.

The comic pack figures are completely separate from the main line and aren’t “infecting” it in any way whatsoever. Right from the start, that line has featured funky coloring and/or slightly stylized sculpts (look at Mara Jade and Dark Woman - their proportions are completely unrealistic, and yet I never heard any complaining). They’ve never truly been 100% realistic or meant to fit with the movie figures. None of the pictures from Toy Fair look to me like they’re making them “cartoony;” they’re basing them off of the source material. Someone brought up Xizor’s head - yeah, he has a big head, so what? He’s a big green lizard man, he’s NEVER going to be “realistic.”
    I never said the comic book characters were infecting the line, so I don’t know if yo mean me. What I said was that I’m seeing a trend of the hybrid style slowly creeping into the mainline of figures and we are either have been unsuspecting of it up til now or have accepted it. Xizor, Cade Skywalker and definitely Talon Kardde all have a hybrid animated slant to their heads. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Yet, Villie and Vos didn’t. In fact baring the Marvel figs, which are supposed to be that off in color, I can’t really recall any that have the heads sculpted in the hybrid style.

I really don’t think they’re going to start making OT figures in the style of the Clone Wars figures. Even if they do, they would be separate from the others, in the same way that the Clone Wars line is NOT the Legacy Collection. It’s not like you don’t already own 87 Han Solo figures, for chrissakes, so even if they made an animated one I don’t think it would hurt. Just don’t buy it. They made animated-style figures in 1985 and 2003 and yet those stylings didn’t carry over into the movie figures.
    Yep you’re right here. If Hasbro make OT animated style I won’t buy them either,

And, yet again, everyone is completely overlooking all the awesome stuff Hasbro is making. It’s just like last year, when people kept harping on about Moisture Vaporator Luke and pretty much forgot about Hermi Odle, Academy Biggs, CZ-4, and all the other figures they’d been crying for, for years. Yarna and the AT-TE were, judging by this site, THE TWO MOST REQUESTED ITEMS of the past several years. Now they’ve been made and they look fantastic. But does anyone even care? No, they’re too busy jumping ship because of a kid-oriented subline from a TV show they didn’t want to see anyway.
    I’m definitely not overlooking the AT-TE. Anyone can see by the posts I’ve made about the AT-TE that I’ve long been looking forward to it and am happy to finally get it and am buy no less than 3 of them, possibly 5.

They’ve done lines exclusively for kids before, too. Look at Force Battlers and Galactic Heroes, for example -- those are (or were) separate from the main line, and I’ve yet to see any 3 3/4” Lukes done in either of these styles. Your retarded fears are completely unfounded.
    The major flaw in this statement though is that they weren’t really tied into a movie/show event, so they had nothing to back up their style of sculpt, hence one big reason they died off as sublines.

JJL, I really hope you weren’t directing the “retard” flame towards me. But seeing as I’m the one who specifically used the word “fear” in my posts, I’ll make a reasonable assumption you did mean it towards me. No, I do not believe my fears are unfounded. Just looking at the little bits that have flown under the radar so far (as I’ve already described), I DO see this as a very real potential problem for the realistic style. Again, I’ll reiterate, would you rather see an animated style Ponda Baba or realistic SA style of Ponda Baba? How about Toryn Farr who has never been made before. Animated? What would she really look right standing/sitting next to? For my dollars, I’d much rather have realistic style.

Again, I get that Hasbro made animated style for the cartoon because that is the way the cartoon was made. I’m saying to them to leave the main line realistic, again including comic packs, battle packs, multipacks, etc. If it’s not a specific Clone Wars cartoon character, then don’t mess with it.

If you want to quit, quit. But quitting just because of a subline -- based on the biggest SW event since 2005, mind you -- is just asinine.
    No, I don’t think so, nor do MANY collectors across MANY SW collecting sites. And I personally didn’t say I was quitting, but I will be severely drawing down how much I buy. I’ve already cut my budget in half from $6K to $3K. Hasbro has just made it that much easier to maintain that goal or even come under that.

Oh and for the record, I'm greatly looking forward to the cartoon, just not so much the action figures. So much so, that I'll finally be getting cable, specifically for the cartoon.
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 02-18-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    I won't be shocked by it at all. I expect it to start out very strong. However my fear is that Hasbro will look at that and use it as a reason to make the whole line animated in style.
    I don't think you'll have to worry. Hasbro isn't going to trade one cash cow for another. They'll more than likely milk as many different styles and product ideas as possible. I mean... we're talking about the company that put Darth Vader on a chopper here.

My big beef with the animated line, is that Lucas has stated that the cartoon will be for an "older" crowd, so I'm not sure who Hasbro's marketing the line to at all. Sure, it's a kids line of toys, but if the animated show is geared toward the teen and above crowd, who's gonna buy a "cute" Yoda with rocket firing wizard sleeve?

I think they should have gone in a separate direction with the animated figures. Use the style, scale and amount of detail that they've been doing with the G.I. Joe Sigma 6 toys, and it'll appeal to an older crowd. (Those other larger scale animated Star Wars figures sucked, but only because they did them wrong. They were too simplistic.) It would have also created a little concept separation between the figure lines... which is, I assume, what bothers you Sal.

I saw a 5 year old shopping with his Mom the other day, and he had her buy him a Destroyer Droid figure. If the kid's buying and playing with regular basic figures at his age, I'm just not sure that he (and kids like him) would want to downgrade to something more kiddie like. Sometimes I think Hasbro underestimates their audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    I will be telling the Hot Wheels-crossover-Star Wars scalpers that I'm aquainted with that these are really hot, so they can help Hasbro clear the pegs.
    That's brilliant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish View Post
    ...It would have also created a little concept separation between the figure lines... which is, I assume, what bothers you Sal.
    Yes, more seperation between the lines would have helped.

I guess one BIG thing that bothers me in all of this is that Hasbro outright lied to us.

We (and I mean all the major collecting sites) kept hounding them on the question if these figures were animated or realistic. They chose a non-answer or kept saying they wouldn't be like the Gendy cartoon. No sh**! Of course they wouldn't be like the OLD cartoon. So why not just say they'd be like the CG animated NEW show?

As I mentioned previously, I think they already had it in their minds to do these figures this way for the cartoon.

Again that really doesn't bother me so much as the fact that I'm seeing a hybrid style of these being slowly intertwined with the main line. THAT is my biggest fear. Had there not been now 5 figures at least that already demonstrate this, I most likely would not have thought about it.

You're also most likely right that Hasbro will look to drink from the well as many times and ways as they can.

Heh, well if my fears pan out I won't say anything, as you all know/knew how I stand/stood on the issue. If I'm wrong then you can call me a crazy ol' coot who should have taken his blood pressure medication before looking at the Toy Fair coverage.

(For the record as of this writing, I do not take blood pressure medication. I was just trying to be funny.)
    Move along, move along

Why do we have a Clone Commander named Rex? Sounds like a dog. "Haw Rex, want some biscuits? Here Rex. Here boy. Fetch."

I have PF's back on this one. Hasbro knows collectors dig realism, so I don't think we will ever see movie based characters in an animated style (at least not exclusively). Heck, the early POTF2 figures might as well have been animated with their buffed up bodies, so, in a way, we've already been through this debate! Realism wins.

These animated figs are from an animated feature, so I have no problem with that.

As far as comic packs and EU, open the comics up and see how closely the figures look to the artists' renditions inside. That is how comic pack figs are supposed to look, as JJL points out. I know it is a pain in the butt when Hasbro releases comic renditions of figures we don't have in "realistic" releases, such as Han and Luke Stormy disguise, but you know we will get them eventually, Hasbro just has to get the suckers that'll buy one now plus the one they really want later. These dummies are called completists and are the target of scorn.

All that said, Derovio Bold looks a wee bit animated!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal
    I never said the comic book characters were infecting the line, so I don’t know if yo mean me. What I said was that I’m seeing a trend of the hybrid style slowly creeping into the mainline of figures and we are either have been unsuspecting of it up til now or have accepted it. Xizor, Cade Skywalker and definitely Talon Kardde all have a hybrid animated slant to their heads. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Yet, Villie and Vos didn’t. In fact baring the Marvel figs, which are supposed to be that off in color, I can’t really recall any that have the heads sculpted in the hybrid style.
    Again, the Comic Packs are NOT the main line. The ones you mentioned aren't based on the new Clone Wars cartoon or anything; they're based on and sculpted like their source material (their whole bodies). Vilmarh Grahrk was indeed sculpted to not be completely realistic -- I forgot to mention him earlier, but he's way too skinny to be "real."

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    JJL, I really hope you weren’t directing the “retard” flame towards me. But seeing as I’m the one who specifically used the word “fear” in my posts, I’ll make a reasonable assumption you did mean it towards me.
    No, I wasn't directing that word at you, or anyone else in particular. I just feel the whole situation is a little ridiculous.

No, I do not believe my fears are unfounded. Just looking at the little bits that have flown under the radar so far (as I’ve already described), I DO see this as a very real potential problem for the realistic style. Again, I’ll reiterate, would you rather see an animated style Ponda Baba or realistic SA style of Ponda Baba? How about Toryn Farr who has never been made before. Animated? What would she really look right standing/sitting next to? For my dollars, I’d much rather have realistic style.

Again, I get that Hasbro made animated style for the cartoon because that is the way the cartoon was made. I’m saying to them to leave the main line realistic, again including comic packs, battle packs, multipacks, etc. If it’s not a specific Clone Wars cartoon character, then don’t mess with it.
    Of course I would also rather see realistic style, even on the Clone Wars figures. I don't see the Comic Packs as part of the main line, which I guess is where we differ. I don't even mind them putting slight stylizations on comic pack figures, since they've never been too extreme to me (apart from the colors).

No, I don’t think so, nor do MANY collectors across MANY SW collecting sites. And I personally didn’t say I was quitting, but I will be severely drawing down how much I buy. I’ve already cut my budget in half from $6K to $3K. Hasbro has just made it that much easier to maintain that goal or even come under that.
    I know you're not quitting completely. I think it's fine if people don't want to buy these figures. But I also think it's a bit extreme to completely stop buying all SW figures just because you dislike some of them (as a few people in this thread have said; you're not included here, Sal).

I guess one BIG thing that bothers me in all of this is that Hasbro outright lied to us.
    That does **** me off a bit, too. But does anyone have the Q&A of where they actually addressed this? (I'm looking at you, JT.) I remember from my own experience, when I asked one of the guys at CIV about whether they'd be realistic or not, he asked my opinion and I said I preferred realistic. He said they were leaning in that direction but would probably do some stylization. So, yeah, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    wizard sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    These dummies are called completists and are the target of scorn.
    Hey!