Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

2008: The Year of 3 & 3/4 Inch Goodness

It seems like everyone and their mother is jumping on the 3 & 3/4" train this year, and my only response is awesome.

So far, it looks as if we'll be seeing Star Wars scaled versions of the following:

Harry Potter (Corgi OOTP line being imported and distributed)
    Star Trek (Playmates has confirmed the movie figs will be released in 1:18 scale, in addition to two other scales)
    Hellboy (for the new movie, by Mezco)
    Heroes (also by Mezco)
    DC Universe (Mattel see HERE)
    Indiana Jones (obviously)

as well Star Wars and GI Joe continuing. Did I also hear of a Marvel 3 & 3/4 line for this year? Am I missing anything?

Jesse Falcon teased that we'd see the 3 3/4" Marvel Line in the next two weeks.

So I'm guessing the debut is going to be via some toy magazine. Can't wait.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

It does seem like smaller is going back in style. However, I fail to see the reasoning in creating up to three different scales with lines like "Heroes", "Star Trek", and "Hellboy". What's the point in having both 3 3/4, 5 inch, and 7 inch figures all for the same line?
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Multiple sizes can only work when there are multiple target audiences. For something like Trek or Heroes, you're right, it seems a little weird.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Multiple sizes can only work when there are multiple target audiences. For something like Trek or Heroes, you're right, it seems a little weird.
    I tend to collect 1:18 only, so they'll get my dollars by producing these at the smaller scale. I wouldn't ordinarily (and have not until now) buy Trek, Marvel or Heroes, but at 4 inches, sure, I'm in. I think this is a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Grievous View Post
    It does seem like smaller is going back in style. However, I fail to see the reasoning in creating up to three different scales with lines like "Heroes", "Star Trek", and "Hellboy". What's the point in having both 3 3/4, 5 inch, and 7 inch figures all for the same line?
    It didnt work well with the POTC line and it wont work with these lines either.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

POTC also had the additional drawback of three different 7" lines (one by NECA, one by Zizzle, and the other line available only at Disney Stores).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

A lot of the return to this scale being popular is due to two things.

The price of oil continues to be insane. So smaller figures are much cheaper to make.

In the case of DC/Marvel, they can deliver vehicles at a realitsic price point.

I can't wait for the Marvel line myself. As long as they do the X-Men's Blackbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    In the case of DC/Marvel, they can deliver vehicles at a realitsic price point.

I can't wait for the Marvel line myself. As long as they do the X-Men's Blackbird.
    Holy smokes. I hadn't even thought of that. That'd be sick.

Another aspect I have heard is this concept of "cradle-to-grave" marketing, where they provide a product for an indivdual for every stage of their life. So, for Star Wars, it's Galactic Heroes, then 3 & 3/4", then Sideshow and Attackus. DC seems to have the same approach going on here, with the Super Friends, then these new shorties, then the 6-9" guys, then maybe Tonner or DC Direct for the older collector with more free money. Hasbro, obviously, is using the same formula for Star Wars across all of their major boys brands (how long before we see GI Joe "Battle Buddies" or "Combat Cuddlers"?)

This is smart, thorough branding.

As far as POTC goes, I think those failed because the movies got worse and less kid freindly as they went (too long and esoteric) and the toys were just...pretty weak. You also didn't have the variety of characters you have with some of these other brands.

It's the same thing that kind of worries me about Indy -- how many Indys or Jack Sparrows can you get? I will be very interested to see how Hasbro does in capturing the kid dollar with the Indy figs. Poses a good challenge.

Yeah. I loved the first POTC. But the second one jumped the shark pretty heavily, and then the third one was even more outragous. I didn't mind the Cursed Pirates idea of the first one. But when they brought in all the sci-fi fantasy elements of the second two films... it felt like a completely different film series.