Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another totally random history question....

'Cause I figure it's easier to ask than to try to wade through the internet for this one:

Although I realize it would've been possible, are there any confirmed US veterans who served in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam?

If so, any of those who fought in Spain during the Spanish Civil War?

Yeah, it's a weird random question. I was just thinking it could feasibly be possible, if someone were born around the end of WWI, for them to follow Hemingway to fight in Spain (possibly lying about his age), then join the military and fight in WWII, and become a career serviceman, finally winding up as a general during Vietnam in his late 50s and early 60s.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Ne'er mind. I've not only learned since posting this that there were indeed generals in Vietnam who'd served in both prior conflicts, but that, due to Cold War politics, it was unlikely any Spanish Civil War veterans would be held in high enough esteem to be career soldiers.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Any Americans fighting in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) would have been volunteers and/or mercenaries in the International Brigades. It is estimated that less than 3,000 Americans participated in the war.

I think your query is valid, but in all my studies here and when I was in school in Madrid, I've never heard of any (American citizen) veteran of the Spanish Civil War going on to serve in Vietnam in any capacity.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

When I read your query at first, Chux, I thought it was the Spanish-American War (1898), so I did a little math I thought you were joking. My bad... reading, that is.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

It would be interesting to meet someone with experience in all those conflicts.

You don't hear much about that war.

A few interesting trivias: Nazi Germany supplied the guns, armor and aircraft to the dictator Franco and Spain (Some of those German planes were used later by film makers who did "The Battle of Britain" in 69)

Spain even though allies with Germany before WWII, chose to be neutral during the conflict.

"For Whom the Bell Tolls" Great movie with Gary Cooper, adapted from an Earnest Hemmingway novel. About an american mercenary who fought for the Spanish rebels (My favorite song by Mettalica-wonder if it's about the same thing?)

"Pans Labyrinth" takes place during the time of the Spanish Civil War.

Interesting thing I heard on the news the other day: There is only one surviving American Veteran still alive that fought in WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    A few interesting trivias: Nazi Germany supplied the guns, armor and aircraft to the dictator Franco and Spain....
    Franco and Hitler were pals. Franco allowed Hitler to use Spain as a testing ground for his military technologies against his enemies (check out his results with the city of Guernica). The Blitzkrieg had its roots in Spain. This gave Franco the upper hand with his opposition. When he won, he closed the borders (read: "neutrality"), and carried out his atrocities against his countrymen.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Although I realize it would've been possible, are there any confirmed US veterans who served in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam?
    My Grandpa served in all three while in the Navy, but I doubt he was in any involvement for the Spanish Civil War since he was born in 1922 and that war began and ended around the time he joined the Navy.

Unfortunately, I can't ask him about it since he passed away about 14 years ago. Wish I could find out more about what he did, all I know is that he drove one of the landing crafts for the Invasion of Normandy and survived the sinking of the destroyer USS Hammann during the battle of Midway.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    My Grandpa served in all three while in the Navy, but I doubt he was in any involvement for the Spanish Civil War since he was born in 1922 and that war began and ended around the time he joined the Navy.

Unfortunately, I can't ask him about it since he passed away about 14 years ago. Wish I could find out more about what he did, all I know is that he drove one of the landing crafts for the Invasion of Normandy and survived the sinking of the destroyer USS Hammann during the battle of Midway.
    Wow, Normandy and Midway, the two most important pivotal battles of WWII. The tide was turned at both.

A few interesting trivias: Nazi Germany supplied the guns, armor and aircraft to the dictator Franco and Spain (Some of those German planes were used later by film makers who did "The Battle of Britain" in 69)
    Germany did a bit more than supply weapons, they supplied troops/airmen and actually engaged in combat. It was the first opportunity for the Luftwaffe to test their new fighters and bombers which had been developed illegally in post WW1 Germany. It was only after the Spanish Civil War that Germany licensed a few of their aircraft to be built by the Spanish manufacturer Hispano Aviacion. The most famous of these aircraft is the Hispano HA-1112 which is the Spanish version of the Messerschmitt Bf 109G fighter. It's these aircraft that are often used in movies as very few actual Bf109's exist in flying condition. There are also a few CASA 352's flying which were Spanish built Ju-52's. They had one come in to a local flyin a few years ago. The only way I could tell it wasn't a Junkers was that it had Hispano engines.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Wow, Normandy and Midway, the two most important pivotal battles of WWII. The tide was turned at both.
    I found out a few years back that my great uncle (now deceased) was at Pearl Harbor on that 7th of '41. Never knew that because he never wanted to talk about it.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega