Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Or 'English swearing' such as using the word 'bloody' ie. "I had a bloody good time last night."
    This actually we're on thin ice over. We're allowing "arse" but I'm trying to be cautious here, so generally I'd prefer you didn't, but I'm not ready to say it's a rule yet.
    So 'arse' is ok but 'bloody' is right out? Rather odd, that is. I'm assuming by this same logic that Peggy Bundy's maiden name is off limits as well?

Right. It's come up in the past and been dodgy, it's complicated.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Meh, I think its nonsense, personally. Regualting language is lame and kindergarten-esque. The only reason people use profanity is because its social taboo. If people made less of a big deal about it, people would use it less.

You should just make a thread for people who curse. That would be awesome! That way, people have a place to go if they want to use adult language, which won't hurt anyone. I think banning language is censorship. Seriously, if you are going to regulate language then you should regulate all mention of religion and politics as well. Sounds retarded? Yeah, that's exactly my point.

You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words. Then people will argue over the words and it just goes on forever. We're making a big deal over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by elvandrik View Post
    You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words.
    That's a great idea! Then we can just refer to them by number when we feel like cursing!

Krusty the Klown already beat you to the punch[line] on that idea.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Meh, I think its nonsense, personally. Regualting language is lame and kindergarten-esque. The only reason people use profanity is because its social taboo. If people made less of a big deal about it, people would use it less.

You should just make a thread for people who curse. That would be awesome! That way, people have a place to go if they want to use adult language, which won't hurt anyone. I think banning language is censorship. Seriously, if you are going to regulate language then you should regulate all mention of religion and politics as well. Sounds retarded? Yeah, that's exactly my point.

You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words. Then people will argue over the words and it just goes on forever. We're making a big deal over nothing.
    You sound like someone who's not a parent. This is a site for kids, and those who appreciate and collect toys and collectibles, and those who like to talk about associated aspects of popular culture. With that in mind, Steve is perfectly justified in prohibiting swearing here. As a parent myself, I don't want my child exposed to the foul language of strangers, if it is within my control.

If you feel the need to express yourself with that kind of language, there is at least one other forum where swearing is permitted, at bantha skull. You might feel more comfortable there.

Of course it's censorship, it's the "auto censor" doing most of the work no less. And we do regulate discussion on religion and politics. This is a private, all-ages site about toys, there are standards regarding this sort of thing, we can get into trouble with parents groups. Swearing puts the site and forums at risk for minimal gains.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Parent groups? Are they gonna put us on some blacklist? Shouldn't they be protesting Miley Cyrus dancing on a stripper pole in daisy dukes instead of trolling the forums at Sirsteves for the F bomb?

Some of these parental groups are pretty powerful, they can get sponsors to drop the site, get hosts to take sites offline, get injunctions, they can go pretty extreme if they are mad enough about something. There's a lot going on with this sort of thing. The PMRC in the '80s was merely a parents group, despite them getting senate hearings and nearly taking down the RIAA. I can't speak to why they fight the battles they do, I am just charged with making sure our forums stay running as smoothly as possible for as many folks as possible.

the Miley stripper pole thing was way overblown, it wasn't that big a deal.

it was also pretty hot.