Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    $3.19 for me. Though since I belong to a fuel rewards program through my local grocery store, I often pay much less than the going rate.

I get 10 cents of PER GALLON, for every $50 I spend there. Not just groceries either, but gift cards for MANY different retailors. TRU included. On average I save 40 cents per gallon due to food purchases and gift cards. On an 18 gallon tank, that's an average of $7.20. So 2 1/3 gallons free basically.
    You've got to love Giant Eagle. We may start shopping there (it's on the way home from work) rather than the Giant that is closer to home just for the gas savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    I have been paying 3.19 for gas the last week or so.

Blacksburg/Christiansburg always seems to have the cheapest gas in the state. I always stop at the Sheets in Christiansburg to top off the tank on my way to my Dad's house.

I paid $3.27 a gallon yesterday for regular at Costco here in Frederick, MD. My manual says my car should only have premium, but that's cutting into my action figure money so I've switched without any noticable differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port View Post
    That's sure is an awesome connection you have there. I'm a huge GE fan, especially since the introduction of Fuel Perks. They are very slowly rolling out more gas stations around us. They added one by my folks so they are pretty lucky. Our nearest one is still a 20 minute drive and we pass probably 5 gas stations on the way so it can be tough to cash in those savings at times.

I heard that they were having problems with the Government over their Fuel Perks program. It was something about the government not liking them discounted a federally taxed item or something like that. Did that ever blow over? I've found that you can't earn points when buying liquor because of the "sin" tax on it.
    No problem with the GOV so far. Actually this is the first I've heard of it. GE is only a regional player, and there are by far many more gas stations around than they. So their small piece of the pie isn't making a dent in the GOV's budget. Hell, if anything, it's brought some relief to the average citizen that free's up money for other things. That enables consumers to spend that money elsewheres which could be a small boon to the local economy.

Edit: I just called my fiancee and asked her directly about the Tax/GOV thing. She says she hasn't heard anything about this. And she'd definitely know since she works in the corporate office. There would have been some office buzz about this if it were true. She's heard nothing,so it's business as usual.
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 03-10-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    You've got to love Giant Eagle. We may start shopping there (it's on the way home from work) rather than the Giant that is closer to home just for the gas savings.
    Well, don't just shop there either. Besides shopping, as I mentioned, pick up your gift cards there. Here's some good advice, if you are already planning on going out to dinner, or buying from Toys R Us, etc., then stop by Giant Eagle, pick up the associated gift card (since you're already going to be spending the money at these places), and earn yourself free fuel while doing so.

Look for the "Get-go" gas stations besides the actual grocery stores. The Get-go's carry most of the gift cards as well, so you don't have to go so far out of the way. Get-go is the Giant Eagle gas station as you probably already know by now.
    Move along, move along

I can't remember where I heard about the troubles with the government but I hope it's past (it has been a year or so since I last heard). I agree, every little bit helps.

Around here in NE Ohio the Get-Go's are well away from the stores. I expected it to be similar to the WalMart setup where they are in the parking lot of the store but not for us. I'm guessing the startup cost of a new gas station has to be astronomical. The one's I've seen have been converted from other chains.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I can't remember where I heard about the troubles with the government but I hope it's past (it has been a year or so since I last heard). I agree, every little bit helps.

Around here in NE Ohio the Get-Go's are well away from the stores. I expected it to be similar to the WalMart setup where they are in the parking lot of the store but not for us. I'm guessing the startup cost of a new gas station has to be astronomical. The one's I've seen have been converted from other chains.
    Yes, they are mostly converting old gas stations to new Get-go's. Though good news (I talked to her again), she says more Get-go's are coming to Ohio and specifically NE and closer to Cleveland. SO you are in luck! BTW, IIRC, she also said that most gift cards are currently 20 cents to the gallon per $50 spent. So you might want to look into that. Couple that with the Hasbro promotion and you could be saving quite a bit of money.

(Geez, I sound like I'm pimping the place....well I guess I am, .) Thanks for humoring me folks.

-Sal
    Move along, move along

That's awesome news! The wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed that we get one in town. We are in an area of high traffic with a few large roads crossing and we have a GE so hopefully the financial numbers add up and they put one down the street.

That's awesome news! The wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed that we get one in town. We are in an area of high traffic with a few large roads crossing and we have a GE so hopefully the financial numbers add up and they put one down the street.
    What city are you in specifically? I can try to find out where the closest one is going to be for you (new in development). Can't promise I can get that info, but I'll try.

-Sal
    Move along, move along

Streetsboro is our nearest city/Giant Eagle while the closest GetGo is on the west side of Twinsburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Yeah, my V-8 Cherokee says to use Premium. Either way, it's not shaving much off the price to fill my tank.
    Jeep "recommends" mid-grade gas for the 5.7L V8, and "recommends" premium for the 6.1L V8, but they're only recommendations, you won't notice much of a power loss since you don't do a lot of hauling or high-performance driving. And it's a MASSIVE drain on your wallet, you're talking about a 30 cent difference per gallon, your car holds 20.8 gallons, that's a difference of about $6 per fillup, that ain't nothing.

It's 99% advertising hype. The oil industry pushes premium gas since the profit margin is higher. Car manufacturers want to lead buyers to believe that their car is so finely tuned that only the best gas will do. As far as I've ever seen there has never been a formal study to indicate that a change in octane will change your mileage. The percentage change that most drivers claim to get could easily have been achieved by any number of different driving conditions between fillups.

A higher compression ratio by itself doesn't cause detonation, only atmospheric (higher air temps) and engine strain/work load will. A turbo/supercharged engine is preheating the incoming air which can lead to detonation no matter your compression ratio. So unless you bury the pedal on every start the knock detector doesn't even have to do any adjustment and possibly effect the top HP/Torque (but is someone really going to notice 1, 2, 3% less?)
    I've read several independent experts saying otherwise, that these types of engines use higher compression in a smaller space from the precision of the engine to eke out more power, and that using lower octane gas causes a less-controlled and premature burn in the cylinder before the piston reaches the top of its stroke, it's dieseling which is not good. Knock sensors retard timing to reduce this, but they only engage after a certain level of knock is achieved, and neither option is good for the engine. I tell you what, if I owned a Mercedes or a Porsche, I wouldn't put it to risk based on something I read on the internet attributed to "a Porsche engineer", those are expensive cars to repair.

Tycho, that is all fairly different from your American V8 motor, do the research, you'll see.

I have to fuel up in the next few days, and gas jumped another 6 cents or so around here, it's at $3.5x which makes me a sad panda. On the other hand, pounding the peddle today and blasting past all those SUVs on the freeway was great. (There was one Lexus SUV behind me which absolutely refused to do anything lower than 90mph, and since physics dictated my 80mph at the time was going to cause her to drive into me rather than safely through me, I changed lanes and let her blast by. She was crazy for going that fast in an SUV, but it was competently-handling so I can't knock her for it too much.)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well after going down to $3.24 yesterday, it shot up to $3.45 today(and that's for the cheapest). I new it was gonna go back up, but not that high in that short of time. At this rate it should top $4 by mid April, if not sooner. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to see an Amishman about a horse.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]MOM, THROW DOWN SOME MONEY! THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMIIING!!!![/FONT]