Page 23 of 110 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    It's strange, but I can't remember when I last filled up. My gas is lasting all of the sudden - of course it's once the price got lowered.

[FONT=Courier New]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    It's strange, but I can't remember when I last filled up. My gas is lasting all of the sudden - of course it's once the price got lowered.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Are you subconciously driving less or at least modifying your driving patterns so that your trips are more efficient?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Other than driving to and from work, I have only been sporadically going out on the weekends for toy hunting and when I do, it's usually just 1-2 places that are closely grouped together.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I am very proud to say that I have not bought a single gallon of gas anywhere in over a year and a half. Not like I have a choice though.

Gas prices in Guam are still rather high. They were $3.89 out in town and $3.19 on base.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post

[FONT=Courier New]Are you subconciously driving less or at least modifying your driving patterns so that your trips are more efficient?[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]Other than driving to and from work, I have only been sporadically going out on the weekends for toy hunting and when I do, it's usually just 1-2 places that are closely grouped together.[/FONT]

Good questiosn for everyone. Modifying driving habits here (like only driving 1-2 times a week). Grouping things, going the farthest first, than closing back in.

Until my knee got clipped and tore out everything in it again, I was biking to the local places or swinging by on a long bike ride to get a drink of water/use the bathroom. The walk to the toy aisle and out the store if nothing probably saved me from some leg cramps.

Even pre-injury was riding the bike to the grocery store if just getting bread or a head of lettuce.

Totally unrelated, but found this on the price of gasoline.
    Last edited by pbarnard; 11-06-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added link
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

the price of gas in central Iowa has dropped below $2

I even saw $1.82 somewhere in Des Moines
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose
    great traders: jedigeorge6; jedi master sal; ncbarret; darkjedi5; cookiemonster; phantom-like menace

[/FONT]

Wow, you guys should be getting it cheaper than most with all the ethanol you grow. Some cities like mine have it added in the winter months to keep lingering emissions down.

I paid $2.55 the other day for premium. Thought I would give my motor a little treat that day.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    [FONT=Courier New] [/FONT]
    Kind of. First, I'm kind of sick. I'm on kidney dialysis (because my kidneys are failing) and because of that, I stay close to home and my bed fairly often. So I don't need to drive there. However, this might be the result of depression because of my condition. When BobaFrett came to visit me, I was up and going to SeaWorld all day for example, and when I'm happy, I seem to do just fine.

Now I do have to drive round-trips to and from dialysis, 3 days a week, plus there's doctor visits on some of the off-days as well. That has actually increased my driving since I started dialysis. Before, I had even less energy, so I was REALLY staying at home.

With dialysis, I started having to refill my tank (20 gallons, premium) maybe 3 times a month, up to 4 sometimes). Prior to that, I got by on 1 fill-up per month. But way before that, and before I had a debillitating brain aneurysm, I probably filled up maybe even 5 times in a month.

I also drove around a lot in search of Star Wars toys (or made "usual rounds" to 1 type of each chain store (Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us). I didn't want to waste my days driving around and "hunting" all day long. If I stuck to the same stores, I'd eventually be the first regular there to get the new stock when it finally came in.

Since there really has been NO (ZERO) Star Wars shopping going on this whole year (save for July 26 when I bought almost everything), I'm not dealing with that. (Also with my illness, if I can purchase stuff online, it's more convenient to just have it shipped to me).

Meanwhile, I try my best to combine trips when I make them:

bank, pet food store, pharmacy, and grocery store can all be found in the same shopping center - and there's a Starbucks and UPS store there, too. Kinko's / FedEx is right across the street.

Target, Panda Express, BestBuy, the Post Office, and my comic book store are all by each other, and SubWay is another dining option. If I'm feeling like a nicer dinner, some better sit-down restaurants are on the same route.

Anyway, I'll make one trip out with as many of these destinations visited as necessary, and then when I return home, I often have to get back into bed.

Since these are probably all less than 5 mile drives for me - A LOT LESS than 5 miles, my tank can last for a while. Dialysis might be a 15 mile drive (30 miles round trip), so with a 20 gallon tank and stretching the truth to say I get 15 miles to a gallon, 10 round trips to dialysis brings me to 3 tank refills a month. When it was up to $5 a gallon, that was $300 a month in gas. As I mentioned, I think I just am getting to the point of needing my first refill this month, so I'll have to see what the new gas budget will look like.

Having adapted and / or gotten accustomed to my new driving pattern - in part because of my illness - I think I will just save money and not revert to diriving more again. I am in California though, so I think I'll throw in maybe one more trip or two to the beach or the waterfront downtown, here or there if it's more affordable. But as I stated, I like being close to home and my bed.

I noticed that Costco was $2.59 one day, went back two days later and it had dropped to $2.43 (I filled up... just 5-6 gals.). I have always tried to fit my errands in an orderly fashion, but I will admit I stay in more and go out less lately.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Finally below 2 dollars a gallon
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

$2.59 last time I filled up. I don't get this, we have a bunch of major refineries here, transportation should be very cheap to get it to LA-area stations, yet we're the most expensive. I guess it's speculative, assuming that SoCalerinos will drive more. Stupid speculative markets.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.