Page 25 of 110 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    California sucks!
    $2.399 is the lowest I've seen lately, and only at Costco or cash prices at ARCO.
    "That's what Sheev said."

It's just hard to take that I live in one of the highest oil producing areas of California and will still have to deal with higher prices in comparison to the rest of the nation!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

That could be the result of California taxes. I'm not sure.

Here's how taxes might be used wisely:

- There's a certain amount the state's responsible for to pay out as MediCal and AFDC / Welfare, Workers' Comp, etc. Those get cost-of-living-adjustments, so the amounts increase.

PRO Having Them: there is mercy and people don't starve and live as scavengers in a modern, civilized society where we CAN provide even to the lazy or otherwise less-than-competant (for various better reasons than laziness)

CON Having Them: people take advantage and inflation erodes the money available to the state for other functions of the government, like road repair, and Highway Patrol

- So we have to have a tax increase, at least to cover COLAs.

A gas tax is recommended, so that people who are not driving, don't have to pay it. Then the tax collected is specified for road repair and highway patrol only. Now gas costs more in California than elsewhere. WHY? The increase has to reflect that California is paying for a larger population than anywhere else. A tax increase to reflect that is obvious.

- How to resolve it? When California cuts back its COLAs to its welfare, those needing public assistance will find that they get more aide from other states. Then they'll go there. If you're going to be on welfare, would you like $600 a month in California, or $900 a month in Idaho? (I pulled those figures out of my head, just to serve as an example - but the idea being that as resources become more scarce, cuts may have to be made).

- What about folks who can't afford to move to Idaho to live on welfare there? California might add one-time-only moving assistance to its payouts. It might be more cost-effective to get folks not contributing to the economy out of state and off the welfare rolls here in California.

- But finally, there is an environmental "carbon-print" tax on our gas, I'm sure. That's almost, but not quite fair. To be sure, people really can use public transportation and carpool, etc. Instead of making it easy for people to pollute...

But the real solution is to manufacture clean-emissions vehicles. Then there won't need to be high taxes at the pump.

National turn your car off day. I have a lot of those for myself.

2.13 is the lowest I saw it today.

I really love San Diego's transit system. Though traffic is still heavy, it seems to be easier to get around than LA.

I think they should put the Disney like monorail system, with a combination of magnetic trains powered by solar and wind power throughout the country. Especially California.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    I think they should put the Disney like monorail system, with a combination of magnetic trains powered by solar and wind power throughout the country. Especially California.
    Seattle has had the monorail since 1962, but never expanded upon the short ride from Seattle Center to downtown. They keep trying to come up with a plan for light rail but it never works out. People vote it down or it ends up costing more than they said it was.

You've hit the nail on the head, JT. It's all the taxes on oil before and after it's pumped out of the ground. Only our lovely state hits its citizens so hard.

And as for your last statement: bring on the hydrogen! Sorry Dad (who worked for UNOCAL for 38 years)!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Tonite I saw most of my local stations had it for $1.98. First time I've seen it under $2 for a very long time in these parts.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]MOM, THROW DOWN SOME MONEY! THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMIIING!!!![/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    It's just hard to take that I live in one of the highest oil producing areas of California and will still have to deal with higher prices in comparison to the rest of the nation!
    I live in a county rife with gas refineries - they occasionally explode, and at night Wilmington looks like hell on earth from all the refinery stacks on fire, yet we still deal with those higher prices. Totally unfair! Beverly Hills gets massive tax cuts due to their active well (which they draw their city line exactly on the other side of, and cover the well in a fake building to hide), but despite significantly lower fuel transportation costs and oil producing wells in various parts of the city and county, we still pay through the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    That could be the result of California taxes. I'm not sure.
    California gas tax is 18 cents per gallon, lower than many states and WELL outside the ranges we're seeing here. From the prices posted in the last 10 posts or so that were all significantly lower than California prices, Oregon has a 24 cent tax (that increases 6 cents every 2 years since '03, yikes), Colorado is 22 cents, Virginia 17.5 cents, Indiana also 18 cents, Washington 23 cents. So your theory is out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    National turn your car off day. I have a lot of those for myself.
    It was? I had no idea, but I didn't drive on Tuesday anyway. Oh crap, does that make me a hippie?!?

I really love San Diego's transit system. Though traffic is still heavy, it seems to be easier to get around than LA.
    Ugh, that system is convoluted as hell, especially per-zone and per-stop pricing. SD's traffic is lighter because there are 1/3rd as many people in the county as LA county.
    -vs-

Yeah, that sounds totally affordable. The people of California just turned down a proposition to build a grossly expensive high-speed rail from LA to San Fransisco... well, 1 area didn't vote to turn it down, guess which one. (Hint: it rhymes with "Fran Sansisco".)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Filled up for $1.77 a gallon on the west side of Indianapolis yesterday evening. The cheapest I saw all day was $1.73.

I filled up tonight (@ BP) for $1.82/gallon. Unbelievable.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."