Page 58 of 109 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    What ****es me off is that its all speculation. Supplies have not been disrupted to the point that we should be talking about $5 gas. Its all a bunch of investors looking to make some $$$$ and they use whatever means to drive the price up. I'm normally a free market kinda guy, but this is just BS!!! When it gets high enough, your looking at another economic meltdown.

By the way, it $3.89 here in Nebraska.
    It's not "all speculation." The dollar is dangerously weak right now vs. other currencies, nearing its historic lows of 2008. Takes more of 'em to buy anything when it's so weak.

I'd hardly call the oil industry a "free market" when only 4 or 5 gigantic multinational corporations are involved. They're also responsible for having certain quotas in place that kill any chance of competition, and hence, the possiblity of lower prices.

Not to mention that we're quite simply running out of the stuff. It's a finite world with finite resources, folks. Get used to it.

I read an article that said it's Wall Streets fault that gas prices are rising. They "overestimated" (lied) about underproduction on oil from the Libyan Crisis. So they are making money hand over fist due to the over inflation of oil prices. But once the market subsides..... Bailout!
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    Not to mention that we're quite simply running out of the stuff. It's a finite world with finite resources, folks. Get used to it.
    BP estimated that we have about 40 years worth of crude oil left, but I wonder if that was before or after they dumped millions of barrels of it into the Gulf of Mexico?

However, the US is estimated to have the world's largest oil reserve (if you include shale oil); so why we're not drilling for oil here is beyond me. Actually I do know why: politics and environmentalist pseudo-science.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Unhappy

And sinkholes. LOL

$3.98 here in the Cleveland area today.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I paid $4.12 per gallon of premium here in Florida.

It's been around that for me of late.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    However, the US is estimated to have the world's largest oil reserve (if you include shale oil);
    By whose estimate?

so why we're not drilling for oil here is beyond me.
    We are drilling for oil here, if by "here" you mean the continental US. I know a lot of people who work in that industry, mainly in the Gulf of Mexico.

Actually I do know why: politics and environmentalist pseudo-science.
    I guess in some areas like California, yes, perhaps politics has something to do with it. Then again, maybe their constituents just don't want their ocean looking like the north-central Gulf of Mexico. Otherwise, most politicians (including Obama) are pro-Oil. Those who are not are very much a minority.

As for "environmentalist pseudo-science"... how does that keep us for drilling for more oil?

As oil crudely comes down in price, some of the local stations have actually dropped a few cents (some as much as $.09 in the last several days), but still nothing under $4.07 (and most still around $4.15-.26).
    "That's what Sheev said."

The picture's worth 1000 words. Yeah at least about 100 dollars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-25_09-48-37_380.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	24930  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Got gas for 3.48 Monday. Most stations were under 3.70 yesterday. Today.... back to 3.89.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

If you note my picture above, I'm paying $4.49 a gallon

That's how it cost $94 to fill my tank.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.