Page 59 of 107 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    I got gas the other day at Costco for $3.83. The stations within two blocks (four of them) were $4.14 and higher.

When there's almost a thirty-cent difference, I'm thinking "gouging." Not fun when the prices are already as high as they are.

I stopped by Costco yesterday, but didn't have my cash card with me, and saw it was $3.83 per. Went back this morning, and somehow gas got more valuable, since it was $3.85 per. Hmm.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Now I'm starting to see the occasional station with 3s in front of regular unleaded prices around here.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I got gas the other day at Costco for $3.83. The stations within two blocks (four of them) were $4.14 and higher.

When there's almost a thirty-cent difference, I'm thinking "gouging." Not fun when the prices are already as high as they are.
    I wouldn't say it is gouging. It is just that some stations charge a lot more. On Thursday I paid $3.739 at ARCO, but most other stations were still 20-30 more.

Way to argue semantics there.

Gouge (VT): 3. to subject to extortion or undue exaction, overcharge

Costco is expected to be a little cheaper. But if they can make a profit charging a full thirty cents (almost 15%) less than the other stations within a block, then that definitely qualifies as "overcharging." And, therefore, since "gouging" means "overcharging," then they're gouging.

Two stations actually changed prices while I was nearby this past weekend: while my mom filled up her tank, the owner went out to lower the manual price sign from $3.93 to $3.91 (did the amount pumped into the car reduce? nooooooooo... ); and I drove past a corner station with electronic price signs on each corner, where it was $3.99 on the first side, and after the light changed and I turned up the street, the sign then showed $4.05 after only a few seconds. Really. Really?