Page 59 of 109 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    I got gas the other day at Costco for $3.83. The stations within two blocks (four of them) were $4.14 and higher.

When there's almost a thirty-cent difference, I'm thinking "gouging." Not fun when the prices are already as high as they are.

I stopped by Costco yesterday, but didn't have my cash card with me, and saw it was $3.83 per. Went back this morning, and somehow gas got more valuable, since it was $3.85 per. Hmm.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Now I'm starting to see the occasional station with 3s in front of regular unleaded prices around here.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I got gas the other day at Costco for $3.83. The stations within two blocks (four of them) were $4.14 and higher.

When there's almost a thirty-cent difference, I'm thinking "gouging." Not fun when the prices are already as high as they are.
    I wouldn't say it is gouging. It is just that some stations charge a lot more. On Thursday I paid $3.739 at ARCO, but most other stations were still 20-30 more.

Way to argue semantics there.

Gouge (VT): 3. to subject to extortion or undue exaction, overcharge

Costco is expected to be a little cheaper. But if they can make a profit charging a full thirty cents (almost 15%) less than the other stations within a block, then that definitely qualifies as "overcharging." And, therefore, since "gouging" means "overcharging," then they're gouging.

Two stations actually changed prices while I was nearby this past weekend: while my mom filled up her tank, the owner went out to lower the manual price sign from $3.93 to $3.91 (did the amount pumped into the car reduce? nooooooooo... ); and I drove past a corner station with electronic price signs on each corner, where it was $3.99 on the first side, and after the light changed and I turned up the street, the sign then showed $4.05 after only a few seconds. Really. Really?