Page 92 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
    Mine was $4.30 a gallon and cost me $86 to get 20 gallons today. Not happy.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

A nice 9 cent rise to $4.24 today. I agree with Tycho...not happy!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Paid... $4.23 per gallon for premium on Friday, so I think $4.03 for regular at Shell. Not the cheapest in town, but the most convenient at the time.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Shell has this thing where you can spend your Ralph's Rewards (it's a Kroger grocery store for those of you out-of-Cali) and by buying your groceries on your Ralph's frequent customer rewards cards, you get 10 or 20 cents off gas at Shell.

But save that for when you really have to fill your entire tank.

JediTricks, how many gallons does your car take? What's the expected final damage, in other words? Then how many MPG do you get?

Tesla Motors has a car showroom here in the mall in La Jolla.

They will have an electric SUV with 4WD next year! It will cost $70,000 but (without) interest, I will spend $60,000 on gasoline over 5 years that I'd be making payments.

Furthermore, the battery life is 10-12 years. (It's replacement is $10,000)

But the point is, it will nearly pay for itself in gas savings at present prices (less $10K) during the time you're paying the principal (if you counted that amount first) and in 10-12 years, for the life of your first battery, you'll come out ahead by a lot.

Payments would be $1166.00 per month on a 5 year finance plan (not counting interest - but maybe you could get a 6 year finance plan negotiated).

The price is still prohibitive unfortunately.

But if you were looking at $400 a month car payments, and $150 minimal on gas per month (for me for example - if I can get away with driving less) you'd be looking at an addition $660 per month for the Tesla (and that's the SUV - the cars are cheaper).

But I'm looking at spending $9,000 in fuel over 5 years (2 refills at $75 each per month) and a new SUV is around $45,000 (like I could afford one) but add $9,000 to that (your gas you'd overwise spend) and you have $54,000.

So for the SUV you're overpaying by $16,000. But if gas actually held steady (yeah right) at $9000 over the next 5 years (ownership from the 6-10h year for the vehicle) it'd pay for itself before you needed a new battery.

Then every battery change on it would run you (present day's) gas prices for just short of the 20th year you'd own the vehicle.

My plan almost works for someone who wants to own the same vehicle for 20 years and does not include maintenance costs beyond the battery. But you'd have other maintenance costs with any vehicle you'd drive.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Yeah, I use the Ralphs Rewards when I have enough points (100/200), although I must advise light caution, make sure you know if your debit card will work there before using your rewards points because otherwise a bad swipe can still end up draining points, which then requires a jump through hoops to get back.

The new-to-me car has an 18.5-gallon tank and so far is very thirsty, but as the previous owners didn't know much about cars, so I am hopeful the shop can address some of that cheaply. Today already got the lower air dam strapped back into place, and a pair of new tires in matching condition instead of bald on one side (bad tires and bad alignments cause drag which means more force required), tomorrow I'm expecting to have a new air filter and a few other things, and then I'll reset the tire pressure as I can't imagine the shop got that right.

I will probably wait on new spark plugs though depending on the condition of the existing ones, it needs platinum or even iridium (iridium is apparently better for dual overhead cams like mine) which are pricey especially when you need 6, and I suck at working on plugs - aside from gapping because that's the easy part - so that's another shop job. There are other things like fuel filter and some sensors, MAF and oxy, that I suppose I could get into dealing with as well. And keeping it under 2500 rpm I guess would make a difference, but why would I get a V6 to get there slowly and in sweltering heat? (You lose some revs from the A/C or the drag from the windows being open.)

I blame the sedan aerodynamics, damned box cars acting like a wall to the wind work way harder than my old sports car's awesome low drag coefficient just slipping through, but unfortunately for what I could afford, there simply wasn't anything built in that era that was good like that.

Those replacement batteries are really only expected to be 8 years, even Nissan's Leaf battery only has a 100k mile warranty and at average driving that's 7.5 years. And the price is about $10k now, but how much will it be in the future? Up? Down? Changed technology that doesn't work with your car at all? Who knows.

All electric passenger vehicles should be 4WD, SUV or sedan or econo-box, because electric drive works different from traditional ICE drive.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, on the vacation road trip I just returned from, here are some numbers:

Highest price paid: $4.09 (in Primm, NV, last gas put in the car for the trip )
    Cheapest price paid: $3.52 (somewhere?)
    Cheapest price seen: $3.43 (didn't need to fill up )
    Highest price seen: $4.59 (around Baker, CA?)
    Miles travelled: 5041 (over 18 days)
    Gallons filled-up: 150
    Average paid per fill-up: $27.87 (not always a full tank, nor empty of course)
    MPG: 33.54
    Miles travelled per day: 280

Stations back home here seem to be all over the place: $3.91, $3.99, $4.09, $4.19. And that's just down one street from me.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Bel-Cam, that's great MPG. What do you drive?

2nd question: how much fuel does your tank hold?

Thanks for the battery car info JT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Well, on the vacation road trip I just returned from, here are some numbers:

Highest price paid: $4.09 (in Primm, NV, last gas put in the car for the trip )
    Cheapest price paid: $3.52 (somewhere?)
    Cheapest price seen: $3.43 (didn't need to fill up )
    Highest price seen: $4.59 (around Baker, CA?)
    Miles travelled: 5041 (over 18 days)
    Gallons filled-up: 150
    Average paid per fill-up: $27.87 (not always a full tank, nor empty of course)
    MPG: 33.54
    Miles travelled per day: 280

Stations back home here seem to be all over the place: $3.91, $3.99, $4.09, $4.19. And that's just down one street from me.
    Good ol' "somewhere".

Nice road trip. Hope you had AC, or don't mind swampass. Why weren't you topping off each time?

I was getting over 30 mpg on my Mazda on long trips, no idea what to expect with the new-to-me Nissan but "less" is a given even if the oxy sensor wasn't malfunctioning, sedan styling = brick in the wind, 3L V6 = thirsty, 222hp on 3200 lbs = hard not to speed.

It's $3.99 for regular around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Bel-Cam, that's great MPG. What do you drive?

2nd question: how much fuel does your tank hold?
    This was a rental car; a Hyundai Elantra with a 12-gallon tank. My own (current ) car is/will be a Saturn ION2. Since I do much more in-town short driving, its MPG isn't as good as it once was (I think it has a 13.5 gallon). But it's having some electrical issues that might lead to a new drive soon.

JT, on some of the times where the price of gas was higher, just a few gallons to fend off the anxiety of running out was enough. The a/c worked quite well, but the sight lines in the cabin were terrible; almost hit cars around a few times.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    This was a rental car; a Hyundai Elantra with a 12-gallon tank. My own (current ) car is/will be a Saturn ION2. Since I do much more in-town short driving, its MPG isn't as good as it once was (I think it has a 13.5 gallon). But it's having some electrical issues that might lead to a new drive soon.

JT, on some of the times where the price of gas was higher, just a few gallons to fend off the anxiety of running out was enough. The a/c worked quite well, but the sight lines in the cabin were terrible; almost hit cars around a few times.
    Hyundai Elantra, I can totally see the bad sightlines with its swoopy windshield and rear sill lines on a thick C pillar.

Sorry to hear about your car having troubles, hope it works out for the best.

I guess I get it on the price of gas, but a tank that size I'd probably just eat the $5 difference rather than worry about sucking the sludge from the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter, pump, and engine. You wouldn't want to break down in a locale like that. I'm a cautious fellow though, not Indiana Jones cautious though, I don't pack a .38 in my luggage.