Thread: The Red Baron

The Red Baron

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...-baron/trailer

My first reaction is excitement but I've been burned so many other times that I'll let others watch it before I spend the money. Some of the aerial combat towards the end of the trailer looks pretty good, complete with barrage balloons and German bombers. Nice.

Should add the official website.

http://www.redbaron-themovie.com/index_en.html
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Hopefully, this will be a good flick. Trailers always look promising, and then the film fails to deliver.

I've always been interested in WWI aviation, so I'm interested to see how distorted they make Manfred-baby's life.

If this period of history interests you as well, a good book to try to locate is I Flew with the Lafayette Escadrille by Edwin Parsons. This is Parsons' account of the American pilots who volunteered to fly for France (the unit never surrendered BTW ). Parsons was a pilot in the unit and he writes biographies of the other member with whom he flew. ebay is probably your best bet to find it. It's kind of pricey too. I picked it up years ago on a bargain table for next to nothing ($8.95). Last time I found it on line, the price was pushing $90, as it is now out of print.

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention, EP!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

This guy makes a fine pizza.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Hopefully, this will be a good flick. Trailers always look promising, and then the film fails to deliver.

I've always been interested in WWI aviation, so I'm interested to see how distorted they make Manfred-baby's life.

If this period of history interests you as well, a good book to try to locate is I Flew with the Lafayette Escadrille by Edwin Parsons. This is Parsons' account of the American pilots who volunteered to fly for France (the unit never surrendered BTW ). Parsons was a pilot in the unit and he writes biographies of the other member with whom he flew. ebay is probably your best bet to find it. It's kind of pricey too. I picked it up years ago on a bargain table for next to nothing ($8.95). Last time I found it on line, the price was pushing $90, as it is now out of print.

Wow, that sounds like a great book recommendation but obtaining it might be a bit expensive. I'll be keeping my eyes pealed for that. My WW1 aviation knowledge is limited to a little bit about the Lafayette Escadrille. It would be nice if this movie was fairly accurate and gave an insight into real history. I'm not holding my breath for that though (Pearl Harbor...cough).

Speaking of good books I'm currently reading Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor which is about a mission by a few Union army soldiers to steal a Confederate locomotive (The General) and destroy the rail lines as they raced north. For their actions Abraham Lincoln created the Medal of Honor and bestowed it upon a few of them. It's a great read. I'm also reading To Hell and Back, the Audie Murphy autobiography. Also a very interesting read.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    This guy makes a fine pizza.
    I'd wager Mr. DiGiorno could send the Red Baron packing.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post

I believe this is what that movie Flyboys was about. That looked interesting but I never saw it. Same thing will probably happen with this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I believe this is what that movie Flyboys was about. That looked interesting but I never saw it. Same thing will probably happen with this movie.
    Flyboys was a pretty decent movie (Tycho will agree) so I would almost have to see this movie as being a Germanized version of that.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Flyboys escaped me. I have no recollection of this when it came out. I searched imdb.com and a couple other sites and got up to speed, so now I'm intrigued since it's "about" the Lafayette Escadrille. Thanks for pointing this out, MSP. Glad I've got Netflix. I'll put it in the queue.

Slick: If you want to see a "Germanized" movie on WWI flyers, check out The Blue Max with George Peppard and Ursula Undress, er, Andress. This shows up on TV once in a great while. I picked up the video version years ago from Critic's Choice, and I think they have a DVD version now, too. It's a pretty darn good little flick. Real flying, no CGI.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!